Welcome Sam Naismith | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Sam Naismith

A Gunnedah boy

Was potentially an elite ruck when struck down with his first injury.

Not unhappy with his drafting although 3 knee reco's is a challenge for a big unit

Reactions: 1 user
A Gunnedah boy

Was potentially an elite ruck when struck down with his first injury.

Not unhappy with his drafting although 3 knee reco's is a challenge for a big unit
not concerned at all as they were a different knee each time

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 13 users
I like it as this is exactly what I believe you should be doing with your second ruck.
Agree, short term play. Provides cover, physically ready right away, cheap.

At his best was as good if not better than Soldo.

Reactions: 2 users
Agree, short term play. Provides cover, physically ready right away, cheap.

At his best was as good if not better than Soldo.
Better than Soldo and improving quickly. Was on way to being a gun ruck. Big and aggressive. Shame for his career.

Reactions: 1 users
Nothing Official as yet till Wednesday But Sam did have a big year at Port Melbourne I should know I am a member

Reactions: 3 users
I'm in two minds about Naismith. Think I would prefer Lycett TBH. Naismith's VFL form has been good but his AFL stats arent as strong.

What I have decided is that a mature age back-up is essential. Not only to compete at AFL level when Nank misses but also to provide decent ruck coverage to the VFL. If we want our young mids to develop they need decent ruck support at VFL level so whether it's Naismith, Lycett or someone else, they should get that.

He’s had 3 knee reconstructions …ouch
Played VFL for PtMelb in 2023 lots of hit outs but goes some games without taking a single mark
Good observation. 0 marks in 4 of his last 5 games of the season.

I'm in two minds about Naismith. Think I would prefer Lycett TBH. Naismith's VFL form has been good but his AFL stats arent as strong.
He played 30 games. He really only played in 2016/2017. But he showed huge potential IMO.

Unlikely he will fulfill that potential but worth a punt for mine. Be fascinated to know if his body is OK.

What I have decided is that a mature age back-up is essential. Not only to compete at AFL level when Nank misses but also to provide decent ruck coverage to the VFL. If we want our young mids to develop they need decent ruck support at VFL level so whether it's Naismith, Lycett or someone else, they should get that.
does anyone know what injury he copped in the VFL's round 11 that contributed to him missing a couple of games? Sammy Cougar? He'd played pre-season games and 10 straight VFL games before that in-game injury (in round 7 Port had the bye). Obviously he will be having all the medical stuff completed at RFC to ensure his knees are sound enough to get through a season of AFL footy. Id prefer him over Lycett personally; as id think if his knees are good and he got through a season of VFL footy without any issues with his knees; he'd be in a bit better nick than Lycett -whose last couple of years at the Power seemed injury riddled?. (18 AFL games; and not sure of SANFL games). As a back-up; Not too worried about his lack of marks at the back end of the VFL season; more happy to see that he gets his hands on the ball at centre-bounces and around the ground stoppages.