Welcome to Richmond Chris Yarran | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Richmond Chris Yarran

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
This thread gives me shivers.

It's unfathomable how our club got so badly deceived over Yarran.

Reactions: 1 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Contrary to some, I think Murphy would have fitted in nicely at Tigerland and at his best was a very, very good player. His run and carry game would have really suited us and was clearly something we were looking for given we’d gone after Treloar and eventually Prestia who are of a similar mold.

I wonder if Carlton screwing us on the Yarran trade was payback for going after a favorite son? Big risk demanding two second rounders for a player with a burgeoning substance issue. Then again maybe they just saw us coming? We’d come off another humiliating finals loss and had just missed out on Treloar then Murphy.
Memory says the Blooze didnt demand 2 2nd round picks. We valued him at about pick 20, which is what the blooze were happy to get. We had to give up 2 later 2nd rd pick to get pick 19.

if we had of offered pick 40, they might have been happy with that.

I reckon our trading strategy has been great since we got Houli and Grigg. some of the players we valued wrong- such as Yarran and Hampson, but our approach of putting a "fair" value on players and sticking to that value has generally worked for us.

Reactions: 1 user

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Very, very charitable version of events.

Jack Hill the blind miner could see trading for Yarran was an awful decision just on a football basis, notwithstanding anything else.

It's little surprise the bloke in charge was rissoled soon after, nor that we then got better and that he was again flicked by the next club, who also then got better.

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
Very, very charitable version of events.

Jack Hill the blind miner could see trading for Yarran was an awful decision just on a football basis, notwithstanding anything else.

It's little surprise the bloke in charge was rissoled soon after, nor that we then got better and that he was again flicked by the next club, who also then got better.

Are you saying it cost Richardson his job? Wouldn't surprise. It did seem a 'risk it for the biscuit' move at the time.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
I've never heard jungle drums so loud as I did with Yarran BEFORE the trade was getting done. Some of the stories were astounding.

The two worst trades I've seen at Richmond both involved back flankers and picks around 20. Yaz and Jordy.

Reactions: 2 users

Jake

Tiger Superstar
Apr 2, 2005
I've never heard jungle drums so loud as I did with Yarran BEFORE the trade was getting done. Some of the stories were astounding.

The two worst trades I've seen at Richmond both involved back flankers and picks around 20. Yaz and Jordy.

Spot on Scoop, if Yarran was fit and healthy he would of been in the Blues top 5 players and a wanted player. A case of take off head and put on pumpkin for the recruiting team at Tigerland.

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
This thread gives me shivers.

It's unfathomable how our club got so badly deceived over Yarran.
Am pretty sure that the club and certain individuals within the club were warned about Yarran. Some of his issues were public knowledge.

This is what led to the demise of Dan Richardson as head of football.

grumpytiger

Tiger Matchwinner
May 6, 2007
Dan Richardson’s public comments about the tiger army having to be “patient” didn’t win him any fans either. P!ssed me off mightily and I remember writing to the club to express my disgust.

The only other time I ever wrote to the club was when Benny Gale was appointed CEO. Told him how excited I was that he’d come home to lead the club. He responded too, God love him.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users

T-Shirt Tommy

Have you got the oven on?
Apr 11, 2011
Even if he was squeaky clean off-field, he was an absolute bust as a player and that should have been obvious to anyone who put 10 minutes into studying him.

Pretty harsh on Yarran TBR. Yes he didn't play 300 games, but saying he was an absolute bust is incorrect IMO.

Yes, he had a lot of faults and I agree with a lot of what you said but when he was on, he was white hot. One of the few players who would have me genuinely worried when he had the ball.

Sometimes when you have a shot at the stumps, it hits. This time it didn't. It happens.

Reactions: 1 users

checkside

Tiger Legend
Sep 23, 2005
Australia
Pretty harsh on Yarran TBR. Yes he didn't play 300 games, but saying he was an absolute bust is incorrect IMO.

Yes, he had a lot of faults and I agree with a lot of what you said but when he was on, he was white hot. One of the few players who would have me genuinely worried when he had the ball.

Sometimes when you have a shot at the stumps, it hits. This time it didn't. It happens.
Agreed. He could have been such a good player if his head was right and could have made a great life for himself and his family.
It’s sad really what meth does to people, yes he could have stopped it happening but he’s just let it ruin his life like so many other people.

Jason King

Forever the GOAT
Jul 19, 2007
Adelaide, South Australia
I think being no good at his job cost him his job and this was definitely a prime example of that.

For me the worst bit was that he was no good as a footballer. Even if you lived on the moon and weren't aware of the off-field issues or for some bizarre reason thought you could fix them, there were still huge on-field red flags.

He was an awful trainer and completely unprofessional in his approach which other clubs should have known from their observations. On top of that was the sulking when he was subbed out of the game, and the complete lack of effort when any opposition side put some defensive time into him.

Even if he was squeaky clean off-field, he was an absolute bust as a player and that should have been obvious to anyone who put 10 minutes into studying him.
I never rated him as a player but I do know from those close to him that he felt left out in the cold and segregated by his mental health issues not being taken seriously.

Was told to harden up and stop being a sook when he shared his issues. Was shunned by the clique player group as a result.

• Wow

nikolasmia

Tiger Superstar
Sep 3, 2007
Dan Richardson was a plonker

That's why he got the arse from Richmond, and that's why he didn't last at the bombers either

Player management does not equal football dep management