Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli

Eddie actually made me laugh with his, “ two weeks in a row Rioli involved in a knockout blow” after the goal to put us ahead.

Reactions: 1 user
Not according to the stats. Was only attributed with 25 pressure points which is well below his average. I'm ready to see what MJR can do. It's time.
Actually the stat needed is repeat sprints and distance covered. Quite often he doesn't end up close enough to get a PA recorded, but he goes back and forth and just pushes the easy outlet guy wider and wider and deeper and just hurries a little. Late in the 3rd Q they're just a little more tired, kicks drop a little short, we get intercepts, some of it triggered by unrewarded running in Q's 1 and 2.

Reactions: 4 users
Actually the stat needed is repeat sprints and distance covered. Quite often he doesn't end up close enough to get a PA recorded, but he goes back and forth and just pushes the easy outlet guy wider and wider and deeper and just hurries a little. Late in the 3rd Q they're just a little more tired, kicks drop a little short, we get intercepts, some of it triggered by unrewarded running in Q's 1 and 2.
Sure they're all factors. I don't think that excuses poor ball handling, fumbling and disposal skills. Or lack of scoring or creating opportunities. Or a significant reduction in your average pressure acts. II acknowledge everyone has different opinions on what constitutes a player's role. We're a little different in our views. You believe based on your view of his role that he had a good game. Fair enough. I thought he had a pretty good last quarter otherwise didn't do enough.

Sure they're all factors. I don't think that excuses poor ball handling, fumbling and disposal skills. Or lack of scoring or creating opportunities. Or a significant reduction in your average pressure acts. II acknowledge everyone has different opinions on what constitutes a player's role. We're a little different in our views. You believe based on your view of his role that he had a good game. Fair enough. I thought he had a pretty good last quarter otherwise didn't do enough.
Actually I think that contributes to poor handling and fumbling. His fatigue level is higher.

Kudos to Dan for sinking the Gee Whiz on Saturday Night after what wouldve been a hard week for him and Shai.

Hopefully the lad takes some renewed confidence from that big moment.

Instinctive footy that was, no thinking and labouring himself that was Rioli footy and class.

Great work Daniel massive moment in the season thus far.

Gets out marked by his opponent every single week.
Time he went back to the 2's

Reactions: 1 users
Actually I think that contributes to poor handling and fumbling. His fatigue level is higher.
What from the first minute? Just excuses. If you can't address your poor handling with a bit of fatigue as an AFL quality player then you ain't AFL quality. Yet another nothing game tonight. Doesn't any longer have the required desire to win the ball, almost always 2nd to it. Needs to find the desire again in the 2s.

June 2019:
I hope so.
My sense is he put on a little too much weight this year in the hope he'd transcend to the midfield. After a couple of struggles early doors it just hasn't eventuated.
In the meantime he's lost a few of the traits that made him so exciting. Not by a lot but just enough to slow him down.
In all the games I've seen him in so far this season he's looked a yard slower & there's been less 2nd & 3rd efforts. Stats down across the board too. Less goals, tackles, possessions, pressure acts etc.
It's a bit of a concern for him & us I reckon because at his best he was clearly the small forward that we developed our trdemark forward pressure off. That's been missing this year. I keep waiting for it up front but it's not coming. Our forward pressure has dropped right off.
It's no coincidence... :-\

June 2020:

Cut/paste this into the June 2020 timeline and every point is still valid.

Still a “glimpses” player. I’m pretty sure that’s all he’s going to be at this point. He’ll bob up on occasion and that’s about it.

Sure he’s won 2 flags, but if we find another small forward thats even deemed above-average via draft/trade then he’ll find himself in trouble.

Almost June 2021:
He’s not stagnating anymore at least. He’s just getting worse every year.

IMO Daniel Smith would be long gone by now.

Reactions: 2 users
Match winner last week and got his arse handed to him by a 2nd game Irishman tonight ........................................

Reactions: 1 users