Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
This is good news. Great news.

A lot on PRE questioned signing a back flanker for five years when Short signed.

I don't mind the deal, it's all about the cost. I reckon it's 450-500k a year.

The contract takes him through to 31, has been remarkably durable and coming into his prime.

Every contract has risk but this one feels pretty low.

Reactions: 2 users

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015

A lot on PRE questioned signing a back flanker for five years when Short signed.

The contract takes him through to 31, has been remarkably durable and coming into his prime.

It will be well above 500k IMO but worth every cent on current form, (i'd guess about 700k a year). That's 100k discount to that superstar Williams from Carlton.

Reactions: 3 users

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014

I think the questioning re Short's deal at that point was appropriate, as he hadn't played in the midfield yet. 3 long term deals for HBFs (Vlastuin, Short and Rioli) is a lot, but if Short stays as a midfielder it's probably fine.

Reactions: 1 user

Punt n Brunton

Tiger Purist
Sep 17, 2003
It's also a great story about the club creating an environment that the players want to stay in, particularly our indigenous boys. Well done RFC and congratulations Dan Rioli.

Reactions: 4 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Great news, now for his best mate Shai to do the same next year, or even better this year.

Reactions: 1 users

Birdman19

Plodder
Apr 16, 2009
Awesome. Daniel Rioli commits to 5 years. Well done Daniel San - A TIger for life

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
More importantly. .... has Kane Cornes ticked this off.... ya know what he's like.... the first time Sausage breaks a toenail, he'll be all over it with the .... Too long, huge risk, etc etc, palaver he rolls with !

• Haha

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Great signing, long contract for a player who clearly deserves it.

Looks like he can step up into a leadership role.

Playing great off half back but will always retain the flexibility to go forward in a pinch if we really need it.

Should make re-signing Shai a bit easier.

So good to see the club retain the indigenous players, speaks to a culture where they feel respected, valued and safe.

DS

Reactions: 4 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
It will be well above 500k IMO but worth every cent on current form, (i'd guess about 700k a year). That's 100k discount to that superstar Williams from Carlton.

My initial thoughts were its probably similarly to Shorts deal. $3m over 5 years.

Reactions: 2 users

FitenFitenWin

Listen to the thunder RFC
Jul 30, 2009
Brisbane
One of the best things about a 5 year deal is that it enables better recruitment planning. Love this deal both because we retain a great player and developing leader and because it helps us to manage the financials around obtaining our next high level trade or free agency target.