Welcome to the Tigers Marlion Pickett! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers Marlion Pickett!

deedee said:
Dud, 12 man next week.

:hihi :hihi Unfortunately I didn't play for the rest of the season, maybe it should have been "Dud delist" ;D

I couldn't write so couldn't be scorer, the only job left was to do umpiring :help

Don't understand why he wasn't picked last year after winning the bnf, having a great year and was fit and firing, but gets picked this year after playing no games and breaking his finger twice. What changed between then and now, considering he's been out injured.

Harry said:
Don't understand why he wasn't picked last year after winning the bnf, having a great year and was fit and firing, but gets picked this year after playing no games and breaking his finger twice. What changed between then and now, considering he's been out injured.

Possibly because it's a low risk strategy, rookie wages & only the rest of the season. Also we can look at him his attitude to training etc. See how he responds in a professional organisation.
I'm very happy we took the chance & look forward to what he can offer in the VFL

On first glance, he is very Andrew Mcleod-esque in his movement, glides across the field in long strides with very little head movement.

Deceptively fast breakaway speed.

Is very one touch and clean.

A bit too much glee on here to be comfortable but if the stars align who knows.

Well worth the gamble.

Harry said:

We possibly liked fraser turner etc more from a long term view.

TGM said:
We possibly liked fraser turner etc more from a long term view.

The big plus with Marlion is his versatlity so maybe him and Fraser are'nt vying for the same position so much.

blx said:
On first glance, he is very Andrew Mcleod-esque in his movement, glides across the field in long strides with very little head movement.

Deceptively fast breakaway speed.

Is very one touch and clean.

Sounds like BEllis

Big question will be whether Pickett can transition to AFL level. With 10 weeks on the sidelines I can't see that he won't be with us next year. Otherwise why pick him? He'll need to adapt very quickly as a 28yo. I'm not convinced it's going to be that easy for him. But it was a low-cost play so why not give it a go? Who was the last 28yo to be recruited and make something of an AFL career? Podsiadly at Geelong?

Harry i would read it that recruiters look for reasons not to draft anyone over 19.
1. concerns about moving interstate, esp with 4 kids.
Would it be the Kelly situation (ie gun player who may need to be traded? Not a bad sit!)

2. Not serious... no agent!
After not getting drafted he got an agent and clubs got interested
"Pickett approached his now agent Anthony Van Der Wielen, who he had known for six years through the WAFL, in a plea for help."

This is a post from a poster on our Richmond BF board that should warm the hearts of us all.
I hope this isn't against the rules posting this here, apologies if it is (& to the guy who posted this on BF, i hope he doesn't mind):

"Having played against marlion I've been a big advocate of his to get drafted for around 6+ years as I was with Shane Yarran. In recent times it was Kelly, Parker and Stack, was absolutely mystified when Sydney got overlooked and was over the moon when first learning of you inviting him over to train. How you have handled him since plus giving marlion a crack has warmed my heart and I will always have a soft spot for the tigers as his overlooking was starting to stress me out. You all should be proud of where this club is at and how professionally run it is these days.

As for Marlion and what kind of player he is, as has been mentioned he is very quick and skillful, cat like agility and movement, great hands, great awareness/vision, creative, very physical and has a ridiculously high leap. He is a very versatile player and can play anywhere and I mean anywhere, has played full-time ruck so he could be your next Grigg in that regard but the thing is he has the ability and vertical leap to actually win hit outs unlike Grigg.

Like stack his issues were completely overstated, he's a good bloke/clubman and played a leadership/mentoring at South's. Way too good to play wafl as he is certainly an AFL calibre talent.

Hope it all goes well for marlion and the tigers and we see him lighting it up for a number of years to come. Can see him making other supporters microwave their membership cards, **** Geelong have already started to.

PS. As to a player comparison I'd say much like a quicker Shaun Bergoyne/Jack Martin but on crack hahaha, not for that to be taken out of context, perhaps red cordial is more suitable lmao.

Have a great day and stay blessed all ye tiger faithfulls"

I have yet to see any reason as to how his broken finger constitutes upto a 10 week hiatus when as previously mentioned already, fingers can be bandaged up...