Welcome to the Tigers Marlion Pickett! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers Marlion Pickett!

First game back after a fair amount of time out. New team, new competition. Sounds like he did well. Give him a few weeks in the VFL I reckon. He has to pick up the game plan, get used to everything, the step up to AFL level will be a challenge. He needs time out on the field with our team, match time is critical. If he goes well and even if he doesn't make it into the seniors this year, I reckon the potential upside of Pickett after a full AFL pre-season means he could be a very valuable player.

How long is he signed up for?

DS

Reactions: 1 user
He'll play in September if he is as good as many are saying (Jack Graham anyone).

Perfect for a HB or HF role.

Will certainly put the heat on the likes of Baker and Short if he does.

Whats wrong with Jack Graham? The kid is tough and talented (can even kick them from the boundary 50m out!) and plays his negating role week in week out. He stays.

BEllis and Short are the two I would be looking at replacing.

Reactions: 4 users
Turned up @PRO just as he marked and kicked his 1st
Great reaction by his team mates which I believe was highlighted on 7's post match.
Looks to have a very hardened footy body. Knows where to run.
Whenever he gets his opportunity. ...... may crunch a couple!:)

Turned up @PRO just as he marked and kicked his 1st
Great reaction by his team mates which I believe was highlighted on 7's post match.
Looks to have a very hardened footy body. Knows where to run.
Whenever he gets his opportunity. ...... may crunch a couple!:)

Agree with that but the reality is that he has limited opportunity to show his stuff (before finals) and I was actually a bit underwhelmed by his game yesterday.
Maybe I expected him to be a bit more dynamic and pack busting and win a lot more of the ball than he did - and perhaps that’s unfair?
I certainly can’t see him being promoted yet (and I see some are suggesting he should come in next week)
Hopefully it is a process and he’ll really step it up a level next week and show us something special.

Have said elsewhere that the bloke who stood out yesterday as AFL level was Jack Ross

Reactions: 5 users
Agree with that but the reality is that he has limited opportunity to show his stuff (before finals) and I was actually a bit underwhelmed by his game yesterday.
Maybe I expected him to be a bit more dynamic and pack busting and win a lot more of the ball than he did - and perhaps that’s unfair?
I certainly can’t see him being promoted yet (and I see some are suggesting he should come in next week)
Hopefully it is a process and he’ll really step it up a level next week and show us something special.

Have said elsewhere that the bloke who stood out yesterday as AFL level was Jack Ross
Actually I should have added that he needs more time to get match fit so I definitely agree he ain't ready yet..... maybe a break glass in case of emergency?
As for Ross, hopefully he's good to go by the last round.

Yeah, I had him as an in in the changes thread, but in reality he probably needs another week.

The reports are good, but it’s one game after a long lay off. I think the plans are to play him in the VFL for the rest of this year, get a pre season into him and then unleash him on the rest of the competition in 2020.

The reports are good, but it’s one game after a long lay off. I think the plans are to play him in the VFL for the rest of this year, get a pre season into him and then unleash him on the rest of the competition in 2020.
Having watched him, whatever the plan was, it is now get him in as soon as he's fit.

He’s in his physical prime coming off a finger injury.

Wouldn’t you expect him to never improve upon his current fitness level?

He’s in his physical prime coming off a finger injury.

Wouldn’t you expect him to never improve upon his current fitness level?
I would expect him to be like every footballer who's ever played, and need to play matches to build match fitness.

Reactions: 2 users
I would expect him to be like every footballer who's ever played, and need to play matches to build match fitness.

I mean, I was thinking 3-4 weeks in the VFL should be enough time, but it sounds like some are saying his fitness is such a problem that he needs a preseason.

As Sydney showed, someone doesn’t need 30+ touches in the VFL to promise a good transition to AFL level

Yep very unfair. Out for 10 weeks, new competition, new team, limited game time and still racked up 20 disposals. Solid performance.

Glides just like all the good indigenous players do.
Had time, made good decisions & was clean with his disposal.
I was seriously impressed watching his first hitout.
Smokey..

Reactions: 3 users
In 9 games in the WAFL before he hurt his finger he averaged 20 disposals per game, so he's playing up to his ability for his level of fitness. Even at 27 his fitness will improve with more time at the tigers. Great to have him as insurance this year but needs a decent pre-season to cope at senior level.

I mean, I was thinking 3-4 weeks in the VFL should be enough time, but it sounds like some are saying his fitness is such a problem that he needs a preseason.

As Sydney showed, someone doesn’t need 30+ touches in the VFL to promise a good transition to AFL level
Gotcha. I reckon he needs another week, maybe two, then bring him in. He can be best 22, this year.

Reactions: 2 users