Welcome to the Tigers Marlion Pickett! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers Marlion Pickett!

“I have been honest with clubs. The past is the past and I can’t change what I have done but I can change who I have become"

I think his head is in the right space now, its all about making the most from this opportunity, a good end to 2019 and a huge pre season come 2020 could provide from his family/kids and get 2-3 years of really goof football our of him. Low cost and not much to loose from an RFC perspective, look forward to the last few VFL games. Could he do a Jack Graham come 2019???

Ian4 said:
i assume we drafted him now, so we beat other teams to drafting him in the national draft later in the year? coz i don't see the point of drafting an injured player when we already have our fair share of injuries. Pickett may turn into a gun, but I would have thought we'd be better off drafting for the now.

I think we're probably trying to trick collingwood into cutting off DeGoeys index finger.

easy said:
I think we've hired Daniel Chick on a 1 week deal to help design his rehab too?

Just watched Stumpys highlights, a few observations.

1. He hits packs like a very mobile anvil.
2. He moves heaps like McLeod.
3. He is obviously very tough, finds the ball, has serious wheels and a neat user. Whats the knock? why has it taken 26 years for us to meet him? please dont give me the Hungry Jack's excuse, he must have a footballing limitation?

Dont forget that for two years he was in prison so obviously did not play in that period....

I’m really excited about this pick,worried that the Bummers were going to get under our neck.
The finger injury was a god-send,turned them off,given their recent injuries means 2019 is a write off.
But not for us,’Snarlin’ should be cherry ripe come September,when the tiges launch for a tilt at the Premiership.
Exciting times Tiger Fans.
Also,I’m expecting Matty Clarke to get a gig on “Outback Gold Hunters”,he keeps finding these Nuggets in Plain Sight.

Pickett seems good enough to get into our senior team so on this point I am very happy we got him, not sure why he wasn't drafted last year by us however?

I think that the plan with him will be the Jack Graham plan of 2017,

Get him fit and firing in the VFL within a couple of months, bring him into seniors in August with momentum

He is good enough to impact finals and be a game changer, very very excited by this player

percyms said:
Dont forget that for two years he was in prison so obviously did not play in that period....

True. Think it was his late teens too so hard to get noticed, let alone drafted, when your banged up.

Hed be fully aware he has 5 years to set his family up real good and pocket a couple of norm smiths.

Jeez the tigers have come a long way.

Even if noone admits it, we are the envy of everyone in everything we do.

I think he has been picked as an upgrade for Towner and Menadue.
Strong vfl mid and if good enough an afl backup over the next few years.

Very clean one-grab possessions, seems to have the ball on a string the way he takes it.
Reminds me of Maurice the way he runs and weaves around. :clap
Pity it has taken him so long to get serious about his footy but his personal struggles are a familiar story for indigenous youth.
Great to see him get his life in order now for a late but not too late crack at AFL.
He won't be in the seconds for long.

If form and fitness warrants it i'd like to see him play some AFL footy as part of a trial for next year, and i think he will.
His fitness will be good, the question will be, what position.

Ian4 said:
i assume we drafted him now, so we beat other teams to drafting him in the national draft later in the year? coz i don't see the point of drafting an injured player when we already have our fair share of injuries. Pickett may turn into a gun, but I would have thought we'd be better off drafting for the now.

Matty Clarke already stated we have drafted him for the long term and the beauty of now, which has previously been stated, is that we can try before we buy rather than the expense and commitment of the mandatory 2 year minimum under the National or Rookie draft.

I cannot see any player that was picked up in the mid-season draft that could possibly slot into our system for the now anyway.

caesar said:
Matty Clarke already stated we have drafted him for the long term and the beauty of now, which has previously been stated, is that we can try before we buy rather than the expense and commitment of the mandatory 2 year minimum under the National or Rookie draft.

I cannot see any player that was picked up in the mid-season draft that could possibly slot into our system for the now anyway.

Agree - and we have an out clause if it doesn’t work, exactly the same process with Stack.

Also, I think it would have been a risk to have them both start at the same time and I honestly would be very surprised if they both come on and become regular senior players, the odds are pretty slim and to get Stack though this process is bonus enough.

Also I would be very surprised if Pickett plays seniors this year - remember Towner had been in the AFL system for quite a while with gws before coming to us and Graham had the whole season in our system before his late call up. We have also unearthed a stack of young guns this year so there will potentially be a selection squeeze in the back of this year.

Let’s see how he goes but no expectations with him at the moment for this year.

Great pick.

Underrated part of this. Pickett comes cheap in terms of salary cap the next 18 months.

SCOOP said:
Great pick.

Underrated part of this. Pickett comes cheap in terms of salary cap the next 18 months.

Only this year.
He gets 50k for coming
Then if he proves himself then we get the first option of keeping him.
If we decide to part ways we release him with a 20k cheque.

Harry said:
We aint geelong. No one wants to leave richmond.

Another WA player.

Yep ;)

Trossman

Stackie

Broady

Grover

Shai

Baker

Miller

English

Marlion

Nearly a quarter of the list is from WA