Welcome to the Tigers Nathan Broad | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers Nathan Broad

I know this will be impossible to take for plenty but there's not a lot of difference to the Stewart/Prestia one in a lot of ways.

Two players in vulnerable positions knocked unconscious by acts that are really just violence dressed up as football acts.
I understand your thinking but can see how others might see it differently.

The outcome of Stewart’s & Prestia’s actions is the same, and both players on the receiving ends were in vulnerable positions, however it could be argued that the intent behind the actions was not the same.

One was a tackle delivered in a negligent manner that led to a terrible result, where as the other was a bump / hit which in and of itself was the only purpose of the action.

Hence the intent behind the two actions was not the same, regardless of the result.

And in criminal law intent matters a whole lot; I can’t speak for the AFL’s system.

However I can see why some are so incredulous.

Reactions: 4 users
First Crack just showed Broady speaking to Nicks apologizing for that sling tackle. Looks like he's really feeling remorse now.

Reactions: 1 user
I understand your thinking but can see how others might see it differently.

The outcome of Stewart’s & Prestia’s actions is the same, and both players on the receiving ends were in vulnerable positions, however it could be argued that the intent behind the actions was not the same.

One was a tackle delivered in a negligent manner that lead to a terrible result, where as the other was a bump / hit which in and of itself was the only purpose of the action.

Hence the intent behind the two actions was not the same, regardless of the result.

And in criminal law intent matters a whole lot; I can’t speak for the AFL’s system.

However a I can see why some are so incredulous.
One action was a badly executed football act during the course of play whilst the other one was an act of violence, off the ball and with a raised elbow only designed to inflict pain. And also caused a concussion by the way.
But some want to paint this as the same act?
I give up.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
I can’t speak for the AFL’s system.

Neither can the AFL.

I dont think anyone here is saying 'Free Broady'

We are saying;

Punish dangerous acts consistently and transparently.

It wouldnt be that hard

Comparing stewarts hit on prestia to broads tackle? @The Big Richo

You really reckon Dimma wrote 'knock out Parnell'

On the whiteboard?

Reactions: 6 users
One was a tackle delivered in a negligent manner that led to a terrible result,

Pretty kind description of it, I think.

One action was a badly executed football act during the course of play whilst the other one was an act of violence, off the ball and with a raised elbow only designed to inflict pain.

Stewart's was a body check after he had just knocked the ball on, to stop him going forward for next possession. It is a staple act for every single player and happens non-stop all game. If Stewart had done it in the usual way and just blocked him no-one would have ever noticed it happened.

It was a football act deplorably executed in a violent way that caused great harm to a vulnerable opponent, which is exactly what Broad's tackle is.

You really reckon Dimma wrote 'knock out Parnell'

On the whiteboard?

I reckon there's the same chance of that as Scott's saying 'knock out Prestia'.

Yep… and King calling for 6 weeks.
What a clown; I love that these media types have been reduced to having to make increasingly ridiculous statements just to get noticed.

He may as well asked for expulsion from the league.

Stewart's was a body check after he had just knocked the ball on, to stop him going forward for next possession. It is a staple act for every single player and happens non-stop all game. If Stewart had done it in the usual way and just blocked him no-one would have ever noticed it happened.

It was a football act deplorably executed in a violent way that caused great harm to a vulnerable opponent, which is exactly what Broad's tackle is.
As I said, one was a football act and one was a totally non essential act that was delivered to inflict pain. It was not a body check as you infer. I suggest you go back and view the footage again. Ball is no where in the immediate vicinity and Prestia has no chance of gaining possession. He would have been running to the next contest as all midfielders do.
Stewart runs past the ball to take Prestia out.
You continue to spew out your biased views based on some macabre enjoyment of taking up contrarian positions.
Think about what you’re saying here. That Broad intentionally set out to sling the player on his head rather than take him to ground. Not even in a split second would that have been his intention. Can you say the same about Stewart’s intention because he didn’t raise his elbow to defend himself.

Reactions: 5 users
Weren't the media lining up to defend Stewart for a deliberate act of thuggery? Saying what a wonderful thug bloke he is?

They spent the whole time trying to reduce the sentence he would get.

Yet Broad does something silly, which was part of a football action, not a separate act, and they want him to get a bigger penalty?

What a joke, anyone who suggests that there is any correlation between Stewart's thug act and Broad's careless act is a shill for the Boys' Club AFL.

DS

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
As I said, one was a football act and one was a totally non essential act that was delivered to inflict pain. It was not a body check as you infer.

I didn't say he executed a body check, I said that's what the football act was. If you don't think every single player at every club in that situation would be instructed to check Prestia and stop him running on then you don't know what you're talking about. It's football 101.

The issue was how he executed the act, ie jumping and with a high elbow. There was nothing wrong with what Stewart did it was how he did it. If he just stepped in front of him and gave him a push back, which is how everyone else would do it a hundred times a game, then all is fine.

There was nothing wrong with what Broad did either, it was how he did it. He had him dead in the tackle and the football technique is to drop your weight and roll him.

That's the football act in that instance, not to flip him over and smash his head into the ground while you have his arms pinned.

'Totally non-essential act delivered to inflict pain' is a pretty fair description of it though.

Reactions: 1 users
Weren't the media lining up to defend Stewart for a deliberate act of thuggery? Saying what a wonderful thug bloke he is?

They spent the whole time trying to reduce the sentence he would get.

Yet Broad does something silly, which was part of a football action, not a separate act, and they want him to get a bigger penalty?

What a joke, anyone who suggests that there is any correlation between Stewart's thug act and Broad's careless act is a shill for the Boys' Club AFL.

DS
Yeah the ‘Stewart is a good bloke’ shtick played a prominent part in the discussions immediately afterward.

With many focussing their commentary on the length of the suspension (with the 4 week period being the consensus for some reason), rather than trumpeting the ‘we need to stamp out this type of behaviour’ rhetoric reserved for other occasions.

And then amazingly he was given only four weeks.

The whole thing felt as telegraphed as the federal reserves interest rate hikes.

I didn't say he executed a body check, I said that's what the football act was. If you don't think every single player at every club in that situation would be instructed to check Prestia and stop him running on then you don't know what you're talking about. It's football 101.

The issue was how he executed the act, ie jumping and with a high elbow. There was nothing wrong with what Stewart did it was how he did it. If he just stepped in front of him and gave him a push back, which is how everyone else would do it a hundred times a game, then all is fine.

There was nothing wrong with what Broad did either, it was how he did it. He had him dead in the tackle and the football technique is to drop your weight and roll him.

That's the football act in that instance, not to flip him over and smash his head into the ground while you have his arms pinned.

'Totally non-essential act delivered to inflict pain' is a pretty fair description of it though.
The initial tackle was the football act. Perfect - arms pinned, going nowhere. Why he then flipped him and slammed his head into the ground is beyond me. The more I watch it, the worse it gets.

The initial tackle was the football act. Perfect - arms pinned, going nowhere. Why he then flipped him and slammed his head into the ground is beyond me. The more I watch it, the worse it gets.
I think he was just trying to get him over the boundary line - clumsily executed

David King's response was nearly identical to tonight.

That’s decent of him and I’ll give him this one; perhaps he isn’t ridiculous all of the time.

How many articles or segments about ‘how good a bloke Broad is’ are going to do the rounds prior to his hearing do you think?

Stuff like this;

Stewart was regretful; in shock; was pouring his heart out
Etc etc.

Even I felt sorry for what Stewart was going through by the end of
It.

I could post 20 links in here but cbf.

Broady is one of my all time favourites players but what he did on Saturday was crap.
3 weeks should be a significant penalty

If Broad gets as many weeks as the Geelong sniper last year, I’ll throw up. But we all know he will… He’s gonna cop the Richmond loading.