Welcome to the Tigers Nathan Broad | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers Nathan Broad

Afraid poor Nathan has been in bed with the nanny when his wife came home.

All he can do now is cop it sweet. Hopefully 3-4 weeks.

I’m not arguing about the tackle but you seem to be supporting the argument that the concussion deserves a harsher penalty? I’m arguing it shouldn’t

Doesn't the consequences of actions always influence the penalty?

I can speed in my car and get a fine but if I do the same speed and kill someone I go to jail.

Reactions: 3 users
I’m not arguing about the tackle but you seem to be supporting the argument that the concussion deserves a harsher penalty? I’m arguing it shouldn’t
And what if it’s delayed concussion after the MRO closes it’s scrutinising that weeks games.
Further to that some impacts mightn’t show up as a concussion but the long term effects could have some effect. Especially repeated knocks that shimmy the brain inside the skull

And what if it’s delayed concussion after the MRO closes it’s scrutinising that weeks games.
Further to that some impacts mightn’t show up as a concussion but the long term effects could have some effect. Especially repeated knocks that shimmy the brain inside the skull

Are you saying Broad shouldn't be allowed to play again until the Adelaide player passes away and a full examination of his brain can take place, to determine what damage has been done? :p

Got no issue of this going to the tribunal.
Got no issue if Broady gets 2-3 weeks ( hopefully just 2)
Will have a huge issue if the AFL are going to be inconsistent with future similar incidents

Reactions: 1 users
Absolute joke that you get more weeks for a poorly executed tackle than you do for a deliberate elbow or bump

Reactions: 5 users
Doesn't the consequences of actions always influence the penalty?

I can speed in my car and get a fine but if I do the same speed and kill someone I go to jail.
No. Completely different.
Speeding and then killing someone are 2 seperate crimes under the law.
When a player gets tackled legally but breaks his arm, does the tackler get suspended due to the outcome? It’s the action that is being adjudicated not the result.
I’ll concede that under the system the illegal sling tackle or bump currently have a standard outcome. High impact 2 weeks, severe impact 3 weeks but not more based on media driven, tv audience optics

Reactions: 1 user
Will have a huge issue if the AFL are going to be inconsistent with future similar incidents

In that case, it will be a huge issue since they have been inconsistent in the past and if there is one thing we can rely on, it is that the AFL will be inconsistent in the future.

DS

Reactions: 1 users
Thought I heard Tom brown say that if it was sent to tribunal it was at least three weeks. Have any other players who have done a sling tackle ever been sent straight to the tribunal or is Broad the first?

Thought I heard Tom brown say that if it was sent to tribunal it was at least three weeks. Have any other players who have done a sling tackle ever been sent straight to the tribunal or is Broad the first?
Probably the first. Richmond are the trailblazers in a lot of things

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I don't get the angst towards the AFL on this. It was a clear double action that knocked the bloke out. He had enough time to think about his actions, even during the tackle. It was bloody stupid and dangerous. I have no issue with 3 weeks but just hope it's not more. He has no-one to blame except himself.

No. Completely different.
Speeding and then killing someone are 2 seperate crimes under the law.
When a player gets tackled legally but breaks his arm, does the tackler get suspended due to the outcome? It’s the action that is being adjudicated not the result.
I’ll concede that under the system the illegal sling tackle or bump currently have a standard outcome. High impact 2 weeks, severe impact 3 weeks but not more based on media driven, tv audience optics

Forget driving then, if I punch someone in the face and cause no harm I would face a minor charge and small penalty, if I do the same thing and kill them then I face a serious charge and bigger penalty.

I don't see how you can have a tribunal system that doesn't factor in the result on the opponent, unless you suspend people all over the place for any potentially illegal action. Marlion Pickett would have got 15 weeks on Saturday if that was the system.

Well Marlion was cited for “potential to cause injury”. His opponent got on with business as usual.
One minute players are cited for “potential to cause injury”. Then they have “it’s not the action, it’s the outcome”
Confusing really.
Admittedly Broady deserves a penalty in this case
Good post. In the AFL and tribunal's eyes, potential to cause injury is worse than a minor injury.

I don't get the angst towards the AFL on this. It was a clear double action that knocked the bloke out. He had enough time to think about his actions, even during the tackle. It was bloody stupid and dangerous. I have no issue with 3 weeks but just hope it's not more. He has no-one to blame except himself.
3 weeks is fair; I reckon some are worried that the line in the sand for these types of incidents will be drawn under Richmond football club, translating into a 4 week penalty.

Where as someone we all know and love that plays for the Geelong football club only got 4 weeks for clear thuggery.

Where as someone we all know and love that plays for the Geelong football club only got 4 weeks for clear thuggery.

I know this will be impossible to take for plenty but there's not a lot of difference to the Stewart/Prestia one in a lot of ways.

Two players in vulnerable positions knocked unconscious by acts that are really just violence dressed up as football acts.

• Dislike
strangely out of character for him ..

worries me the Port bloke gets 2 without the tribunal .. Broad may get 4 ..