Welcome to the Tigers Nathan Broad | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers Nathan Broad

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
People do know that Broad is not slow hes also one of the quickest at the club, and also one of the best aerobic athletes.

Been treated harshly imo has Broad considering his good form this year.

Oleg is quicker off the mark and faster over the first 10 than most and whilst handy it makes Oleg look flashy and damaging but his output in ball winning has been no demolition of Broads.

Heres a comparison, and lets not forget that Broad plays more as a stopper than attacker and he still has same output as Markov in ball winning.

Broad unlike Markov also plays Tall and KP a lot of the time and did so in the games he and Markov both played in the same side.

Oleg Im assuming gets many more metres gained no doubt running as a free off half back and his burst of pace is helpful; to break congestion running the ball hence his inclusion for it to combat flooding but Broady never got the opportunity to play that type of role, and it is more unlikely than likely that the Tigers will face any flooding unless we meet the Maggots or possibly the Saints in the Finals.

Here's their averages this year.

Avg Disposals - BROAD 11 .MARKOV - 12

Disposal Eff - BROAD 83% MARKOV 70%

Kicks - BROAD 8 MARKOV 8

Marks - BROAD 4 MARKOV 3

H'balls - BROAD 3 MARKOV 4

Tackles - BROAD 2 MARKOV 1

I 50 - BROAD 1 MARKOV 2

R 50 - BROAD 3 MARKOV 2

Clangers - BROAD 1 MARKOV 1
I'd say the main differences, craig, are in direction of run and ball use. Oleg, like Bachar and even Egg, breaks the line and takes off straight towards our goals, and he uses it the same, straight up the guts. Broad tends to both run and kick wider. When your plan is ballistic counter-attack off half-back, that is a significant difference in time to get the ball inside 50 and space for forwards when it does.

Reactions: 7 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Agreed Spookster. The raw numbers indicate similar disposals but that doesnt mean similar ball movement.

FWIW Markov seems to be growing in confidence and dare....
I,d think we will see him making a few more kamikazi runs through the centre square
I,m not convinced he can play wing. It was tried (in 16? Or 17?) and he was on train tracks. Got caught running straight. Playing the width is a skill. But from hbf he has licence to run with the wave

Reactions: 3 users

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
Yeah Its an unusual one , I would say Broad would be worth more on the open market , with his ability to lock down on an opponent better than markov , and other all round smarts and skills with the footy ,
Markov is arguably more of a one trick pony , but its that trick they seem to want in the team right now

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
I love Broad his super reliable, but we got so much depth that's the issue Dave coming back now, Balta emerging, Markov giving us a different dimensions dare I say it we needed it his speed and run and carry taking game on.You could even add to that Garthwaite or Miller who could come in and do job for us.

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
I'd hate to see us let Broady go. He's a good player and as brave as they come.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I'd keep Broad around just for a slim chance of a repeat of the 2017 Premiership after-hours celebrations photos.

Reactions: 1 users

Ice

Tiger Superstar
Jul 18, 2006
i think balta has made broad slightly redundant this year. With Vlas, Grimes, Balta, and Astbury on the comeback trail, we dont need broad to play tall. so for him to get a game he is competing with oleg etc to play small and more offensive minded. I think broad plays a bit like ellis with ball in hand, runs sideways, onto his left, and kicks a dinky short pass, often retain possession, but not an attacking weapon.

Reactions: 2 users

wigglyworm

Tiger Matchwinner
Jan 22, 2008
Wondering if the "one on one" stat has come back to haunt him. I recall reading he was the worst in this area out of all of the backline.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users

The_Celebrant

Tiger Superstar
Aug 18, 2018
malemelbournecelebrant.net.au
If we had to play Eagles in a final, with Kennedy, Darling, Allen and Ryan (great high mark) I'd want Broad in the side. Having said that, up until Soldo went down, we could drop Nank back at times like we did against Geelong, giving us extra defensive aerial power and grunt, which partly compensates for Broad's absence. But now that Soldo becomes Chol (I presume), how will that affect our ability to drop a ruck back into defense? I don't know. Maybe Chol replaces Lynch and Broad replaces Soldo. A good match in which to experiment and refine.

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
Not sure I could handle seeing Broady play for another team. Dual premiership player.

Like @zippadeee , I can only assume he has told them he is leaving.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
If we had to play Eagles in a final, with Kennedy, Darling, Allen and Ryan (great high mark) I'd want Broad in the side.

Ahead of one of Astbury, Grimes, Balta, Vlastuin, Baker, Houli, Short? This is the issue. We have a very strong backline. With a full list available Broad is arguably depth.

Reactions: 1 user

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
Not sure I could handle seeing Broady play for another team. Dual premiership player.

Like @zippadeee , I can only assume he has told them he is leaving.

Even just accepting for the moment the hypothetical that Broad has let it known that he wants to leave AND that Hardwick (and the selectors and the Club) is upset about this

I can’t believe that Hardwick would make a call like that i.e. that he would do anything that reduced this seasons premiership chances purely on the basis that one player has said he wasnt going to play next season

Premierships are rare but win them and they last forever - and he won’t compromise the selection of the best teams and best players to achieve that goal on petty stuff like that

IMO

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
If we look at the team selected , it looks like it’s not broad v Markov after all ,

It’s broad v balta and it’s hard to argue that selection

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Even just accepting for the moment the hypothetical that Broad has let it known that he wants to leave AND that Hardwick (and the selectors and the Club) is upset about this

I can’t believe that Hardwick would make a call like that i.e. that he would do anything that reduced this seasons premiership chances purely on the basis that one player has said he wasnt going to play next season

Premierships are rare but win them and they last forever - and he won’t compromise the selection of the best teams and best players to achieve that goal on petty stuff like that

IMO

You need to improve your list every year, history shows that no Premiership 22, unchanged, goes back to back. Balta is an upgrade on Broad IMO.

Reactions: 4 users

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
If we look at the team selected , it looks like it’s not broad v Markov after all ,

It’s broad v balta and it’s hard to argue that selection
I rate Broady very highly and reckon he is so important to our game plan and structure. However Balta has that X factor that few players have at his age and have to accept my man is currently rightly being replaced by the young pretender. That said I reckon there is a place for both come finals footy

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
I rate Broady very highly and reckon he is so important to our game plan and structure. However Balta has that X factor that few players have at his age and have to accept my man is currently rightly being replaced by the young pretender. That said I reckon there is a place for both come finals footy
Agree UK.
Still would love Broad in the side.

Reactions: 3 users