Welcome to Tigerland - Tim Taranto | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Tigerland - Tim Taranto

The Hawks sold the farm for Mitchell & O'Meara, they borrowed heavily from future picks, plenty of similarities given the player types and the cost involved.
You are deliberately choosing to ignore the difference between our approach and the Hawks approach for 10years.

You are deliberately choosing to ignore the difference between our approach and the Hawks approach for 10years.
No I'm not, I'm actually highlighting the flaws in the approach, draft capital deficit is what I'm talking about. We paid through the nose, top dollar on two mids with question marks, Hawthorn did the same & the rot set in. This is actually the phase where the similarities creep in, starting with being spectators at next year's draft.

Reactions: 1 user
After years of anonimity, welcome to Melbourne Tim. The media jernos are certainly making you feel welcome.
Happenened with Prestia. Happened with Lynchy..hopefully Premierships coming your way too.

Reactions: 8 users
This was my suggestion, two players (Williams & Bytel) for a future first, the reasoning sound enough, we were a clear top 4 team so the cost not selling the farm. A tall and a midfielder, a year early so to get the apprenticeship underway in preparation for the imminent retirements. Both players could easily be role players in a successful side, handy depth at the very least. Dow was ranked as a third round prospect by many, it was the first sign that Clarke was doing things in a slightly unconventional manner.
Go look at what WCE supporters think of Williams, can’t stand him. He’s a shocker. And Bytel is not even Jack Ross.

Dow is a bad pick in what’s looking like a very average draft after our pick but the above strategy wouldn’t have delivered gems.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Go look at WCE supporters think of Williams, can’t stand him. He’s a shocker. And Bytel is not even Jack Ross.

Dow is a bad pick in what’s looking like a very average draft after our pick but the above strategy wouldn’t have delivered gems.
Can you imagine the outrage if we offered up a future first for Williams and Bytel? Hell, even throw another second rounder in the mix and the punters would still be calling for Hartleys head if he signed off on it. Madness.

Reactions: 4 users
Ok, we gave up 12 and 19 for Taranto, and 31 and a future first round pick for Hopper. But i'm fairly confident that in a few years time, we and others (the media) will be saying how well we did with our 2022 trade, draft and rookie selections.

Kaleb Smith is a dasher, and was looking promising until getting injured, Steely Green could very well be another Bakes, and Seth Campbell, well he could be anything.
Tyler Young has stood up very well, and hasn't looked out of place, and Bradtke was a good speculative supplemental selection.

And in closing there's no guarantees in drafting. The Bombers have 11 players on their list taken in the top 10 of the draft, The Roos and Suns have 10, the Dockers 9, the Giants have 9, which would be 11 if we didn't take Taranto and Hopper off their hands. We have 7, including Prestia, Taranto and Hopper.

Reactions: 5 users
I must be on another planet. Taranto is a gun. Yes he doesn't kick it like Shai but his work at stoppage and his spread offensively and defensively is where he adds value. He is one of the best I have seen in that space.

He was down against the scum, but excluding that game, he was out best against Carlton and a contributor v Crows while Hop was a contributor v Carlton and our best v Crows.

So far I would be taking this over the draft picks on offer.

Moreover, the comparisons with Tuck, however granular they were made, is disgraceful. I *smile* the same colour as Gary Ablett Senior and Junior and that's about as close a comparison I am to them.

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
Go look at what WCE supporters think of Williams, can’t stand him. He’s a shocker. And Bytel is not even Jack Ross.

Williams still trending up, shouldering a lot of burden, I think developing talls cop too much criticism, even Luke Jackson has been on the nose with supporters. Williams probably stays in the system for a while, rucks with a bit of experience don't grow on trees.

I must be on another planet. Taranto is a gun. Yes he doesn't kick it like Shai but his work at stoppage and his spread offensively and defensively is where he adds value. He is one of the best I have seen in that space.

He was down against the scum, but excluding that game, he was out best against Carlton and a contributor v Crows while Hop was a contributor v Carlton and our best v Crows.

So far I would be taking this over the draft picks on offer.

Moreover, the comparisons with Tuck, however granular they were made, is disgraceful. I *smile* the same colour as Gary Ablett Senior and Junior and that's about as close a comparison I am to them.
Taranto was good, he had it 29 times against the Scum with 9 clearances and 6 tackles.

Williams still trending up, shouldering a lot of burden, I think developing talls cop too much criticism, even Luke Jackson has been on the nose with supporters. Williams probably stays in the system for a while, rucks with a bit of experience don't grow on trees.
Mentioning Williams with Jackson is the Tuck to Mitchell of talls.

When Peter Sumich is writing things like “simply needs to be more aggressive” it’s a major concern for rucks. Go look at his edits on the AFL app, not much to like.

Reactions: 2 users
Taranto was good, he had it 29 times against the Scum with 9 clearances and 6 tackles.

Most players would take that. Still thought he was more effective in the first 2 games. The talk about his disposal was probablt more poignant v scum. But 29/9/6 is a pretty decent game

Reactions: 1 users
Mentioning Williams with Jackson is the Tuck to Mitchell of talls.

When Peter Sumich is writing things like “simply needs to be more aggressive” it’s a major concern for rucks. Go look at his edits on the AFL app, not much to like.
He's developing a bit of run and carry, I like that from a ruck, his height puts him at a slight disadvantage but he can break even for the most part. Needs to develop a high possession game like Stef Martin or find a way to split duties in the forward line. His preseason was pretty good from the information I gathered.

After years of anonimity, welcome to Melbourne Tim. The media jernos are certainly making you feel welcome.
Happenened with Prestia. Happened with Lynchy..hopefully Premierships coming your way too.
This just reminded me of when Matthew Lloyd called Lynch a liability :ROFLMAO: he was top 5 in the Coleman at the time too!

He's developing a bit of run and carry, I like that from a ruck, his height puts him at a slight disadvantage but he can break even for the most part. Needs to develop a high possession game like Stef Martin or find a way to split duties in the forward line. His preseason was pretty good from the information I gathered.

Not sure why still on the Williams bandwagon. He's no good Bullus.

We picked Samson at pick 50 and he is an infinitely better talent/prospect for that forward/ruck role.

Reactions: 8 users
Developing run and carry? What on earth are you talking about. There's no sense of that, nor do I want that from a non-aggressive ruck.

We picked Samson at pick 50 and he is an infinitely better talent/prospect for that forward/ruck role.

Yeah, it's crazy. Williams is no good, I'd take Ryan ahead of him. If the Eagles didn't have 23 injuries, Williams wouldn't be playing.

Back on Taratnto, I'm ok with the deal. I'm not going over that at this stage but I need to see much better ball usage by foot. I think he's missing a lot of easy targets and at times is picking the wrong option. What is noticeable is that he doesen't look short from stoppages, a lot of 40 metre dump kicks straight ahead. We almost need to structure up prepared for that and have a man sitting in that position.

Reactions: 1 users
What is noticeable is that he doesen't look short from stoppages, a lot of 40 metre dump kicks straight ahead. We almost need to structure up prepared for that and have a man sitting in that position.
Yep best way to get lucky is to make your own luck.

Hawthorn did the same & the rot set in. This is actually the phase where the similarities creep in, starting with being spectators at next year's draft.
Do you think Hawthorn's massive slide after 2016 was impacted by having very few decent draft picks in the decade leading up to that time? Or was it primarily because they traded in 2 midfielders, and didnt have any draft picks in 17 and 18?

We would be in the same position as the hawks if you removed most of DRioli, Bolton, Balta, Gibcus, Sonsie Clarke, Brown, Banks etc.
But we have them, so our situation is not comparable.

Reactions: 3 users
Developing run and carry? What on earth are you talking about. There's no sense of that, nor do I want that from a non-aggressive ruck.

Yeah, it's crazy. Williams is no good, I'd take Ryan ahead of him. If the Eagles didn't have 23 injuries, Williams wouldn't be playing.

Back on Taratnto, I'm ok with the deal. I'm not going over that at this stage but I need to see much better ball usage by foot. I think he's missing a lot of easy targets and at times is picking the wrong option. What is noticeable is that he doesen't look short from stoppages, a lot of 40 metre dump kicks straight ahead. We almost need to structure up prepared for that and have a man sitting in that position.
Have you watched his past few games Scoop? Or are you basing that on Sumich's opinion or a few bloggers? He's a 22 year old tall who is lifting the workrate in all categories, no way Ryan notches 23 hit outs a match, 3 clearances, 10 disposals, 175 metres gained & operating at 80% DE. Both you and Leysy have poo pooed Williams at every turn, ever since he was 18. I laugh at the notion Ryan could clock up 23 touches in a game of AFL, it's just as absurd as the 23 fictitious injuries at West Coast & constantly referring to a mothballed 33 y/o old ruck who only ever makes cameo appearances. Williams is first ruck because he's the best option on the list, he may not be a superstar but very few 29 game talls are & that pretty much sums up the mentality on PRE, Richmond talls get every excuse under the sun but opposition players never afforded the luxury. And my point stands, Stef Martin is the type of player I would be hoping to emulate, Williams is mobile enough, even if you choose not to see it.

Last edited:
Have you watched his past few games Scoop? Or are you basing that on Sumich's opinion or a few bloggers? He's a 22 year old tall who is lifting the workrate in all categories, no way Ryan notches 23 hit outs a match, 3 clearances, 10 disposals, 175 metres gained & operating at 80% DE. Both you and Leysy have poo pooed Williams at every turn, ever since he was 18. I laugh at the notion Ryan could clock up 23 touches in a game of AFL, it's just as absurd as the 23 fictitious injuries at West Coast & constantly referring to a mothballed 33 y/o old ruck who only ever makes cameo appearances. Williams is first ruck because he's the best option on the list, he may not be a superstar but very few 29 game talls are & that pretty much sums up the mentality on PRE, Richmond talls get every excuse under the sun but opposition players never afforded the luxury. And my point stands, Stef Martin is the type of player I would be hoping to emulate, Williams is mobile enough, even if you choose not to see it.

Simple question for a simple answer. Are you taking Williams or Samson on your list for the remainder of their career if your picking one?

Yeh, he's 22. The issue will be can he be a genuine first ruck or is he the backup?

I don't think you can write him off as a bust just yet.

Luke Jackson has been pretty poor this year, if you had only watched his last 3 games you'd think he was a rookie selection.

It's such a tough gig.