Welcome to Tigerland - Tim Taranto | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Tigerland - Tim Taranto

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
But you are trying to compare apples with apples when it comes to Tuck and Tarranto. IMO you are off the mark here.

Tarranto is a transitional mid (extremely valuable in todays football) whilst Tuck was purely an inside grunt mid. Transitional mids such as Tarranto, Prestia etc are worth their weight in gold. Your Tucks. Mitchells etc they are dime a dozen.
I'm not harping on this point endlessly but top 5 B&F doesn't necessarily equate to silky kicking skills, that is the reason Tuck was mentioned, not because they are identical players. I also think Taranto & Mitchell have similar output, the stats back that up although Mitchell has better contested numbers thus far, his DE also 74% versus Taranto 58%., clangers 2 versus 5.8, 3 goals versus 0. Only a Richmond supporter would be placing Taranto as elite & Mitchell as ordinary, that's to be expected on a fan site.

Reactions: 2 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Nah Tuck is a poor comparison.

Taranto covers the ground waayyyyy better. He is elite in that area. Chalk and cheese to Tucky who was a great soldier but very much an inside clearance player (It was a great 1 wood but not heaps else to his game)

Taranto is also heaps better defensively - from a stoppage, system wise and using his running power to get back and help the defence.

So not really much alike at all.
My comparison on Tuck is for the ball winning and usage by foot. So basically offensively. I accept everything you say about running ability and positioning.

Reactions: 1 user

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
With all due respect BH,, comparing Tarranto to Tuck is pure rubbish. You are using this to suit your Mitchell argument.

Tuck was purely an inside player. Tarranto is an elite midfielder who can work on the inside and has the ability to hurt you on the spread.
Taranto is not hurting anyone on the spread right now. Inside he is elite and doing his part but he is not spreading. At all. Numbers show it.

I need to see the kicking tidy up. I'm not bagging the trade, I'm past that and ok with it. I'm looking at what he is producing.

Reactions: 1 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Taranto is not hurting anyone on the spread right now. Inside he is elite and doing his part but he is not spreading. At all. Numbers show it.

I need to see the kicking tidy up. I'm not bagging the trade, I'm past that and ok with it. I'm looking at what he is producing.
Something to work on through a more settled pre-season and into 2024.

Elmer

Tiger Champion
Dec 3, 2005
Very good chance he is leading our B & F

Kicking has always been his biggest issue and as you said we did know what we are getting but i would still take him for the cost we paid
Whe taranto gets the ball 30 times a game going into our foward 50 rather than the opposition the coaches (specially foward line coaches) need to plan accordingly
Are we rehashing The Wayne Campbell Plan?

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
But you are trying to compare apples with apples when it comes to Tuck and Tarranto. IMO you are off the mark here.

Tarranto is a transitional mid (extremely valuable in todays football) whilst Tuck was purely an inside grunt mid. Transitional mids such as Tarranto, Prestia etc are worth their weight in gold. Your Tucks. Mitchells etc they are dime a dozen.
You can't put a Brownlow winner as "dime a dozen" and you can't put him with Tuck.

Tig3

🐯
Nov 21, 2022

He’s ran the most kms on the ground out of everyone the last two games

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I have no idea who Clarke would have picked, that much is true but Hewett was the best mid available at that selection, a definite requirement, Cowan was the second best kick in the draft, I would have backed Jackson with those picks, his methodology usually reliable with a premium placed on kicking skills. The draft was also stacked with talls in the third round & we opted for flankers instead. That's an issue which keeps rearing its head. Sam Taylor missed, there's an AA defender overlooked for a tweener ruck. Brown another leftfield selection, I pushed hard for Bailey Williams who at least provides some depth with the tall stocks, he probably has 6-7 years of footy ahead of him. Simply assuming free agency will come to the rescue is pie in the sky optimism, we may have won the Lynch bidding war but that is one win in the decade since the inception of free agency. Free agency won't fix all our problems, the only way to do it is build from the ground up, no corners being cut.

Sam Taylor you nailed that pick. He would be awesome for it, but you are stretching it a bit with Williams, who despite NicNat being out, still does very very little for West Coast. For a 23 year old, you wouldn't think he'd be dominating but I'd be expecting him to show something but appears a very vanilla footballer. No big miss there, but agree with you on Taylor.

I however, don't have as pessimistic view on our list as you seem to. We have missed the top end of the draft for a fair while now (Gibcus was our 1st top 10 pick since Vlastuin). Its all well and good saying we could have had this kid, or that one, but facts are facts. You don't win premierships with midfielders drafted in the 12-20 range, you win them with top 10's and top 5's. Thats what we traded for.

Our list is a lot stronger than you seem to think. The big glaring hole is a key position forward. That takes me back to my previous point. Aggressive trading (like we have done) sustains you towards the top of the ladder, and that along with our fan base etc allows us to be actively involved in the free agency market (and not the end where super buffers lie). We can compete at the top end. Our list looks a whole lot different if you add a mid 20's key forward onto the list, I still love the idea of getting Todd Marshall over from Port. I reckon thats a distinct possibility that he could return to Victoria, and if we stay there or thereabouts we would be in that market.

What don't you like about our 25 and unders? We almost have a set defence that can operate going forwards.

Gibcus, Balta, Young, Baker, Rioli - the 1 we are missing is the mid size. Maybe thats where Tom Brown will fit in. Time will tell
Taranto, Sonsie, Graham, Bolton - Thats ok for under 25's with a few others upcoming and with players in that 25-30 bracket

Forwards are where its tough. Half forwards not so bad (MRJ, Cumberland, Clarke) but its the talls where we struggle.

I think we have a good base to remain in the flag window far longer than Mitchell will play, we just need to continue to play the game and use FA to our advantage over the next few years (and I don't think thats using it to get Ben MacKay).

Reactions: 3 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
You said he is not spreading. He’s spreading
Nope.

Taranto is not hurting anyone on the spread right now.
Said he's not hurting anyone on the spread. KM's show he is running but not hurting anyone on the spread means cutting teams up by hand or foot at or after the stoppage, using the ball well while getting away from stoppages. He's spreading defensively but that doesn't hurt.

Tig3

🐯
Nov 21, 2022

Ahem

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Sam Taylor you nailed that pick. He would be awesome for it, but you are stretching it a bit with Williams, who despite NicNat being out, still does very very little for West Coast. For a 23 year old, you wouldn't think he'd be dominating but I'd be expecting him to show something but appears a very vanilla footballer. No big miss there, but agree with you on Taylor.

I however, don't have as pessimistic view on our list as you seem to. We have missed the top end of the draft for a fair while now (Gibcus was our 1st top 10 pick since Vlastuin). Its all well and good saying we could have had this kid, or that one, but facts are facts. You don't win premierships with midfielders drafted in the 12-20 range, you win them with top 10's and top 5's. Thats what we traded for.

Our list is a lot stronger than you seem to think. The big glaring hole is a key position forward. That takes me back to my previous point. Aggressive trading (like we have done) sustains you towards the top of the ladder, and that along with our fan base etc allows us to be actively involved in the free agency market (and not the end where super buffers lie). We can compete at the top end. Our list looks a whole lot different if you add a mid 20's key forward onto the list, I still love the idea of getting Todd Marshall over from Port. I reckon thats a distinct possibility that he could return to Victoria, and if we stay there or thereabouts we would be in that market.

What don't you like about our 25 and unders? We almost have a set defence that can operate going forwards.

Gibcus, Balta, Young, Baker, Rioli - the 1 we are missing is the mid size. Maybe thats where Tom Brown will fit in. Time will tell
Taranto, Sonsie, Graham, Bolton - Thats ok for under 25's with a few others upcoming and with players in that 25-30 bracket

Forwards are where its tough. Half forwards not so bad (MRJ, Cumberland, Clarke) but its the talls where we struggle.

I think we have a good base to remain in the flag window far longer than Mitchell will play, we just need to continue to play the game and use FA to our advantage over the next few years (and I don't think thats using it to get Ben MacKay).
Williams hasn't turned 23 but he's close, building ok and is looking like a better bet than Dow, that's my base level measurement, even average talls tend to stay in the system for a decade and usually provide either back-up or trading capital. The trick with talls is to get them in early and then build up a surplus in order to account for the odd bust.

As for our depth, we're losing with the Cotchin, Martin, Prestia, Riewoldt, Lynch, Grimes & Pickett retirements, not enough back-up & not enough quality coming through. That's the premiership core, Hopper & Taranto help somewhat but it's shaping up as a raid on Peter to pay Paul. Pick 30 odd next draft hopefully addresses one shortcoming but it's unlikely to fill the massive void coming up. I see a repeat of the Crazy Vossy era and the Hawthorn all or nothing approach.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
I see a repeat of the Crazy Vossy era and the Hawthorn all or nothing approach.
The hawks comparison keeps getting thrown up. They had something like ZERO 1st rd picks, and very few 2nd rd picks over a decade. We have had heaps. the comparison is nonsense.
Not sure on Voss- but from memory he sold the farm for some over the hill footballers.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
I'm not harping on this point endlessly but top 5 B&F doesn't necessarily equate to silky kicking skills, that is the reason Tuck was mentioned, not because they are identical players. I also think Taranto & Mitchell have similar output, the stats back that up although Mitchell has better contested numbers thus far, his DE also 74% versus Taranto 58%., clangers 2 versus 5.8, 3 goals versus 0. Only a Richmond supporter would be placing Taranto as elite & Mitchell as ordinary, that's to be expected on a fan site.
Yeh Mitchell is an elite ball winner. Not a dime a dozen player.

Tig3

🐯
Nov 21, 2022
The hawks comparison keeps getting thrown up. They had something like ZERO 1st rd picks, and very few 2nd rd picks over a decade. We have had heaps. the comparison is nonsense.
Not sure on Voss- but from memory he sold the farm for some over the hill footballers.
We’ve brought in 2 players from other clubs in the last 5 years and people are melting like we’ve traded away every single draft pick :ROFLMAO:

forward press

Tiger Cub
Apr 7, 2006
He was another I wanted, back issues resolved and slots into a midfield needing a defensive type.
No doubt.
But who knows if we would have picked him let alone traded for those picks.

It’s a scenario that never happened.
Like Cowan and Hewett. They were on your radar and may or may not work out. But there’s no guarantee that we would have picked them at those spots had we kept the picks.

BTW I haven’t seen Bytel in the team this year. Might have missed him though as I haven’t been watching the saints closely. How’s he been playing?

forward press

Tiger Cub
Apr 7, 2006
We’ve brought in 2 players from other clubs in the last 5 years and people are melting like we’ve traded away every single draft pick :ROFLMAO:
The hysteria from our own is incredible.
Why are we judging these blokes on 3 games played?

In round one Taranto was one of our best.
In round two Hopper was BOG.

We would be 0-3 if we had Cowan and Hewett and people would be saying it’s time to bottom up and send Dusty, Cotch, Riewoldt, Tarrant, Broad, Grimes, Prestia, Vlastuin and Lynch straight into retirement.

Some people can’t just enjoy the now.

Reactions: 7 users