Welcome Tyler Sonsie | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Tyler Sonsie

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
I reckon 95% of the mids taken in the top 40,

dont run defensively.

its part of the reason they go top 40.

they rack up 30 possessions and 10 clearances and kick goals,

while their opponent does the same.

of course, there are the blue chip top 5 who do everything.
i'm OK with that. Thats life in U18s.
The trick with drafting is to get the boys who are willing to grind it out and adapt to the big smoke.
Its a bit easier to agree to play a role when the main man is Cotch and Dusty

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
I reckon 95% of the mids taken in the top 40,

dont run defensively.

its part of the reason they go top 40.

they rack up 30 possessions and 10 clearances and kick goals,

while their opponent does the same.

of course, there are the blue chip top 5 who do everything.
Even the top 5 don’t run both ways. They just don’t have to at junior footy.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Been a little disappointed that Sonsie has gone backwards after a bright start in the VFL.
Am a touch worried that the quest to focus on improving his defensive game will come at the expense of his ball winning strengths & creativity.
That said the same could have been said for Shai in his first couple of years.
Just hope coach isn't forgetting to take notice of the things he does really well.
In Dimma we trust.

Reactions: 1 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Been a little disappointed that Sonsie has gone backwards after a bright start in the VFL.
Am a touch worried that the quest to focus on improving his defensive game will come at the expense of his ball winning strengths & creativity.
Just hope coach isn't forgetting to take notice of the things he does really well.
In Dimma we trust.
Think it’s as much to do with his lack of athletic ability as well - something that was a big knock on him pre draft. He’s not a great runner at this stage.

Shai had to, and did, improve his endurance significantly.

Massive pre season ahead of Arthur at the end of the season because he needs to do the same as Shai. Can he ? Maybe. Missed most of this year’s pre season so again, this next one is very important for him.

Reactions: 2 users

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
In Dimma we trust.
I'm not sure he's gone backwards, Olds.

He's very unlike the other super hunks in that he's not athletic.

I'm a bear. But not a hater.

DIMBIH can be good but usually isn't.

Plays behind the fall. Shrewd but not imaginative. (Last week see the tap through to a team mate so Onesie wouldn't have to pick up the ball? Kinda classy.) Not hard. But can get a kick. Nick Daffy?

I think he's got work to do on values. And on use. I'm not a hater. He's at the right club.

Feeling Tigerish

Tiger Champion
Apr 11, 2009
I’ve got a feeling he might be a bit of a sulker if things don’t go his way. Hopefully im way off the mark, and he’s got the resilience required to make it

T-Shirt Tommy

Have you got the oven on?
Apr 11, 2011
Pretty tough crowd.

He got 25 touches and a goal on the weekend. Still lots of room for improvement but so have all young players.

Reports are that he has been tagged in a couple of his quieter games as well. And had no preseason either.

Reactions: 8 users

tigerfan1961

Tiger Matchwinner
Jul 25, 2004
Geez, a lot of judgements being made on the young fella in here. Soft, sulky, no tank, another RCD(who still has time btw) and so on it goes.
How about he’s 19 years old, just come into the AFL system with an injury resulting in no pre-season and he’s just finding his way. And getting up to the speed of the game and playing against older fully developed men. Give the kid a chance, he’s better skilled by foot than almost anyone in our squad, and he reads the play very well and looks to be a good decision maker.
I’m a full on fan of his, so likely looking from rose coloured glasses, but give him some time before judging him. Just imo

Reactions: 21 users

Punt n Brunton

Tiger Purist
Sep 17, 2003
For a first year player, he's shown plenty. As with most kids, he'll have up and down games, but he's getting plenty of the ball and showing some class when he does. His tank will come over the next few years, so to be getting 20+ possies with his current fitness base, shows he knows what he's doing out there.

Reactions: 3 users

Tiger Pops

Tiger Champion
Apr 22, 2008
Melbourne
Being drafted to Richmond 2017-2021 as a mid was always going to be hard slog as waiting for a slot to open up behind Dusty, Cotch, Lambert, Edwards, Bolton, Prestia. Graham, Edwards and throw in the Baker, Short and Pickett too. Thats some waiting list to get a go, especially with almost two years of limited TAC or VFL football.

The list (especially the mids) will look very different come 2023-24. Those who want a senior gig have to try even harder to be ready once a regular spot opens up.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Sonsie's doing fine. Can get the ball. Has good skills. Still learning the game. Think he will do well.

Reactions: 3 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Didn't Dimma say if you stay in the VFL you become a VFL standard player? or something like that. Get him in so he can learn from Cotch, Dusty, Dion and Shai.

Reactions: 1 user