Western Australia: Shark Attack Central | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Western Australia: Shark Attack Central

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Brodders17 said:
Carbon tax??

Really - Daniel jackson is responsible for Labor Party policy too?

No doubt many on here would say that is why they are performing so badly at the polls.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
I liked this comment from below the article.

you entered the shark domain, it is like going to Africa on safari and walking in the open, you risk getting attacked by Lions.

Is it touri$m or humanity that's really at risk here?

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
There are a lot more shark attacks than see the lighht of day in regard to reporting.

attacks by Great Whites are fewer than attacks by smller sharks but are more reported simply because they often result in fatalities.

Think about it for 1 second a 5, 6 even 7 meter Great White is a Monster of a fish, sharks will often bite somthing to see if its edible, which is especially the case with Bronze whalers and Bull sharks which are common aggressors against surfers and divers, and more so relative to Monster Tiger sharks who will bite anything or swallow anything to see if it is edible or not.

A 5,6,7 metre Great White even when biting out of investigation will likely remove a limb or even inflict even more heinous injury on the victim.

The best way to avoid shark attack is dusk and dawn when prey items are on the move and the water is cloudy, as a surfer ive always had it in my mind but also understand i am in the marine environment which is filled with critters that can cause injury ie Jellyfish, Rays, Sharks, Eels etc.

The other best way to avoid shark attack is surfing away from outcrops islets ect where seals and penguins and sea birds congregate its a buffet for apex predators and by surfing in these areas we place ourselves on the prespective menu.

Sad stories horrific stories shark and croc attacks are dreaful and a horrific way to go, my thoughts to the individual and family but there is more to the spate of shark attacks than face value and it is not Global Warming its more to do with over fishing low fish stocks mean lower numbers of shark prey items such as penguins, seals ect thus sharks are forced to forage further and wuider and sharks do roam enormous ranges yet will reside in a corridor where food sources are more available.

Surfers no doubt strike curiosity to sharks which when attacked most victims survive as the shark will rarely come back for a second bite whichn is often the case with Bull sharks and Whalers.

Sadly when a Tiger or Great White hit often the intial hit is enough to kill.

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
craig said:
There are a lot more shark attacks than see the lighht of day in regard to reporting.

attacks by Great Whites are fewer than attacks by smller sharks but are more reported simply because they often result in fatalities.

Think about it for 1 second a 5, 6 even 7 meter Great White is a Monster of a fish, sharks will often bite somthing to see if its edible, which is especially the case with Bronze whalers and Bull sharks which are common aggressors against surfers and divers, and more so relative to Monster Tiger sharks who will bite anything or swallow anything to see if it is edible or not.

A 5,6,7 metre Great White even when biting out of investigation will likely remove a limb or even inflict even more heinous injury on the victim.

The best way to avoid shark attack is dusk and dawn when prey items are on the move and the water is cloudy, as a surfer ive always had it in my mind but also understand i am in the marine environment which is filled with critters that can cause injury ie Jellyfish, Rays, Sharks, Eels etc.

The other best way to avoid shark attack is surfing away from outcrops islets ect where seals and penguins and sea birds congregate its a buffet for apex predators and by surfing in these areas we place ourselves on the prespective menu.

Sad stories horrific stories shark and croc attacks are dreaful and a horrific way to go, my thoughts to the individual and family but there is more to the spate of shark attacks than face value and it is not Global Warming its more to do with over fishing low fish stocks mean lower numbers of shark prey items such as penguins, seals ect thus sharks are forced to forage further and wuider and sharks do roam enormous ranges yet will reside in a corridor where food sources are more available.

Surfers no doubt strike curiosity to sharks which when attacked most victims survive as the shark will rarely come back for a second bite whichn is often the case with Bull sharks and Whalers.

Sadly when a Tiger or Great White hit often the intial hit is enough to kill.

So in other words, great whites are usually big bastards with lots of big teeth.
Easiest way not to be prey is live in the desert.

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
Great Whites are bloody big, and I have heard Tiger sharks are vicious, but the worst of the lot IMO are Hammerheads.

Where I live in WA (Albany) we get our fair share of big sharks including some monster Great Whites although I have never had the 'pleasure' of seeing a great white while fishing in my boat.

But I have seen some bloody big Hammerheads and they are just really evil bastards. They look mean, and are aggressive and will circle your boat for ages. I swear they know the score and try to intimidate you into doing something silly like falling overboard.

A mate had one come out of the water and grab his outboard motor one day. Shook the bejabbers out of the boat. I told him I wished it had been me, I'd have started the motor while he had it in his mouth. My mate reckons he was more concerned about whether the bloody thing could possibly overturn his boat. He actually sat in the bottom of the boat petrified for a couple of hours wondering what to do.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Streak said:
Great Whites are bloody big, and I have heard Tiger sharks are vicious, but the worst of the lot IMO are Hammerheads.

They're always listed among the dangerous species but you don't often hear of attacks, especially in Australia.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Leysy Days said:
PLenty of flake on dinner tables around the world WT. ;D

I thought flake was only eaten in Victoria?

What is the staple fish for fish and chips in England?

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Cod or Haddock for the Poms.

If sharks didn't have fins there would be a lot more of them.

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
jb03 said:
I thought flake was only eaten in Victoria?

What is the staple fish for fish and chips in England?

Flake is all over Aus leysy thinks. least it is in Tas & WA as well.

Cod is the Stable for fish shops in the UK.

Tigerfan

Roar Power
Apr 28, 2004
Gold Coast (SE - QLD).
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Commercial fishing of all sharks is already banned in WA, and the great white is of course protected from all fishing. Not that I necessarily believe it, but some have suggested there is too much competition among sharks for food.

10% of the country's population providing 100% of human shark food...not good for tourism among other things.

I betcha that disgusting super trawler doesn't discriminate