Western Australia: Shark Attack Central | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Western Australia: Shark Attack Central

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
shark.png

Monsters.

Don't want to get killed by a shark - stay out of the *smile* water!

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
No, exploitation of animals is not his argument at all.

Hence why I didn't post the author's name, people think "I'm not reading *smile*in' Bolt". Nobody could fail to see his main point - that there are people who, given the choice of preserving the life of a shark or the life of a human, would have no problem choosing the shark.

that is ridiculous, as most of what Bolt says is. i doubt there would be anyone who would choose the life of a shark of the life of a person.
what those who oppose culls and drum lines etc oppose is the indiscriminate mass killing of sharks on the chance that it may, at some point, save a life.

an article recently linked to show horses kill more Australians than sharks. do we cull horses? do we ban them? of course not.
do we ban motorbikes, cos i am sure they cause a lot more deaths than sharks?
what about banning people from going near water cos a lot more people drown than get killed by sharks?
should all Tigers be slaughtered cos they may kill someone?
lions, hippos? dogs?

it is awful that someone was killed by a shark. but a hysterical response is not the answer.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
an article recently linked to show horses kill more Australians than sharks. do we cull horses? do we ban them? of course not.
do we ban motorbikes, cos i am sure they cause a lot more deaths than sharks?
what about banning people from going near water cos a lot more people drown than get killed by sharks?
should all Tigers be slaughtered cos they may kill someone?
lions, hippos? dogs?

Standard strawman argument.

Brodders17 said:
that is ridiculous, as most of what Bolt says is. i doubt there would be anyone who would choose the life of a shark of the life of a person.
what those who oppose culls and drum lines etc oppose is the indiscriminate mass killing of sharks on the chance that it may, at some point, save a life.

They exist, I've seen the opinion published. Especially in comments on news articles about fatal attacks.

I'm not advocating "indiscriminate mass killing", however it's a fact that sharks were culled at Reunion until 1999. And now they have a big problem.

Surfers tend to be conservationists at heart, but greenies are becoming a natural enemy.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
rosy3 said:
Works for me. They are welcome to it.

Yep. A bit like staying out of waterways in the NT if you don't want a croc to eat you.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Standard strawman argument.

They exist, I've seen the opinion published. Especially in comments on news articles about fatal attacks.

how a strawman argument? a shark kills someone therefor we should kill sharks. (and because they look scary). why doesnt the same apply to other animals?

comments published at the bottom of news articles are similar to a bolt column. full of exaggeration with no evidence.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Yeah not sure what the answer is. The sharks are just doing what comes naturally in their natural habitat

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
No, exploitation of animals is not his argument at all.

No, my point was that he clearly sits in this camp "there is a large contingent of the public that support the second view that humans are the most important species on earth".

When this is your view and your values its easy to argue that there is merit in indiscriminately killing sharks in there own en/v so humans can go and have a good old swim or surf.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
When Bolts suck hole parner Steve Price was on AWDrive... Pre Hinch ... someone was killed by a shark in the shallows on a Perth beach. Price went feral calling for the shark to be hunted down before it killed again as it now had the taste of blood. FW. I used to email every so often and ask how the hunt was going. Got the sort of reply you'd expect from a an angry weasel.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
22nd Man said:
When Bolts suck hole parner Steve Price was on AWDrive... Pre Hinch ... someone was killed by a shark in the shallows on a Perth beach. Price went feral calling for the shark to be hunted down before it killed again as it now had the taste of blood. FW. I used to email every so often and ask how the hunt was going. Got the sort of reply you'd expect from a an angry weasel.

Sounds like the Ken Crew case. His friends were calling for the same action.

Grief and fear were still in the air when I arrived in Perth, from London, in 2001, and have never fully dissipated. In his recent memoir, Montebello, the novelist Robert Drewe revisits the events of that day and compares the aftermath to the mood that descends on a community when a murderer is on the loose.
In promoting the shark from beast to beauty, it is important not to demote human beings from masters of the universe to spiteful monsters. Happily, such misanthropy is only a fringe pursuit at present.

The WA shark cull

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
WesternTiger said:
When this is your view and your values its easy to argue that there is merit in indiscriminately killing sharks in there own en/v so humans can go and have a good old swim or surf.

Nonsense. Why do you assume perspectives lie at one extreme or the other? (I'll stop the shower and get out in order to save a daddy-long-legs from being washed down the drain.)

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
That's fair enough Lee. My problem with hunting down "killer" sharks is that they are just bEhaving normally - killing that individual shark doesnt solve anything except a desire for revenge. Drumlines and culls are expensive, kill thousands of sharks for almost no benefit. Shark nets kill thousands of other marine creatures as well.

It's like going into an Alaskan Stare park and killing any bears that come near humans, and fUrthermre killing a bunch of other bears just so hikers can feel safer. Hikers understand the risks and so do most surfers and divers, the choose to enter the environment where these creatures exist. By the way, I surfed for twenty or so years so I know what I'm talking about.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
antman said:
That's fair enough Lee. My problem with hunting down "killer" sharks is that they are just bEhaving normally - killing that individual shark doesnt solve anything except a desire for revenge. Drumlines and culls are expensive, kill thousands of sharks for almost no benefit. Shark nets kill thousands of other marine creatures as well.

It's like going into an Alaskan Stare park and killing any bears that come near humans, and fUrthermre killing a bunch of other bears just so hikers can feel safer. Hikers understand the risks and so do most surfers and divers, the choose to enter the environment where these creatures exist. By the way, I surfed for twenty or so years so I know what I'm talking about.

Yes, no easy answers to this one. The trend is shocking, witnesses are often traumatised for life, and people will re-assess those risks and stay out of the water. Some will perceive this happily as a 'natural solution' while others will be less accommodating.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
Looks pretty safe for a swimmer. How many people on average swimming in the oceAn per day in WA? 1,000? 5,000? 10,000?

3 shark related deaths from swimming in the last 70 years not quite an epidemic?

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
MD Jazz said:
Looks pretty safe for a swimmer. How many people on average swimming in the oceAn per day in WA? 1,000? 5,000? 10,000?

3 shark related deaths from swimming in the last 70 years not quite an epidemic?

I think your numbers are off. Or are you referring to swimming only? Not fishing, water sports of other activities?
3 deaths in one year
11 shark deaths in the last 8 years.

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Nonsense. Why do you assume perspectives lie at one extreme or the other? (I'll stop the shower and get out in order to save a daddy-long-legs from being washed down the drain.)

:hihi who's going to extremes and being nonsensical?

Bolts view is clearly in the second camp and at the extreme and I'm not just going by this article.