What A Crock!! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

What A Crock!!

feisty tige

Tiger Legend
Oct 15, 2003
Dandenong
The vision of S. Irwin with his baby in the croc's enclosure was as bad as, if not worse than the Michael Jackson fiasco! :mad:

Not impressed!! :mad:

tiga

New RFC fitness regime under Wallace
Apr 28, 2003
Blue Mountains NSW
I agree Feisty! Right now I have a newborn fighting for his life and here he puts his perfectly healthy baby in extreme danger. :mad: :mad: I think the words taking life for granted come to mind here. :mad:
I wonder what his wife's maternal instincts were doing at the time.....Does she have any?? ???
Absolutely bloody disgraceful. Next thing you'll know he'll be hanging the baby out of the car window just for a laugh. :mad:

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Unbelievable.

Irwin might think it's 100% safe but if he slipped over then could have been 100% disaster.

The way he was holding the little baby was just as bad. Pretty dangerous letting a 4 week old baby's head flop around unsupported.

Stupidest quote of the week award goes to Mrs Irwin.

"When I put him back in the pram he had big eyes and he was smiling and it was a wonderful sensory experience for him. He dug it." She said.
::)

Walster

I am Walstero the most beautiful man in the world
Aug 13, 2003
Come on give it a miss. I bet you have no problems with a one month old going up the shops in the back of a car with mum..........I give Steve's kid a much higher chance of long term survival in a croc enclosure than being in a car with some of these women drivers. ;)

P

PuntRoadRoar

ill tell you what a croc and thats the media beat up of this crap.

the baby was in no danger what so ever and if anyone has actually been to australia zoo would also know that steve usually has 4 other trained guys in their they are all miked up and telling steve the exact movement of any croc.

you guys make me sick.

its where he lives and its what he does and his kids need to be aware of the environment he lives in, the TV tape is distorted and one-sided.

what a joke, this guy pours thousands and thousands of his own money into increasing awareness about crocodiles and no one listens to what he actuallys tries to educate people. THE ONLY DANGER WITH CROCS IS IF UR SWIMING OR SPLASHING THE EDGE OF THE WATER OR RIVER TAKING A DRINK. crocs dont go running out of the water to eat you and its a myth that they can actually run fast after a quick lunge at all on land.

get a grip on life, total disgrace on everyone who bags this guy for what he believes in.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
PuntRoadRoar said:
you guys make me sick.

Very delicate constitution you have there PRR. ;D

Might be an idea to seek medical advice. Your recent posts tend to bag PRE, bag RFC and bag other posters.

Could be a bad case of SOL making you sick. Doctor rosy recommends looking on the bright side of life and a Richmond premiership to ease the symptoms. :rollin

PuntRoadRoar said:
get a grip on life, total disgrace on everyone who bags this guy for what he believes in.

Funny stuff to say that then bag other people yourself for their own beliefs.

P

PuntRoadRoar

it needed to be said rosy

In the scheme of things there are children being raped and tortured and starved to death around the world and I think we should probably just get a life and move on.

Leave Steve alone.

you are partly right i am SICK OF LOSING

tiga

Apr 28, 2003
Blue Mountains NSW
PRR this also needs to be said.... Do you have Children??? Somehow I think not. :mad: Wait till you have had a child in intensive care to see how precious life is and how quickly it could be taken from you. There are no certainties in life and Steve Irwin did put his child in danger. Remember the Titanic?? Unsinkable??

I also think that your knowledge on crocodile behaviour is weak at best. Have you ever seen big dirt mounds in northern estuarine areas of Australia on dry land?? Well they're called crocodile nests. If you see one just sit on top of it and wait and see what happens. I have video proof that crocs do move aggressively and very quickly on land. So basically you're talking crap!

EyeOfTheTiger

I'm a llama!
Jul 16, 2003
Walster said:
Come on give it a miss. I bet you have no problems with a one month old going up the shops in the back of a car with mum..........I give Steve's kid a much higher chance of long term survival in a croc enclosure

Statistically 500cc Grand Prix races are safer than being on the road too. What a good idea to strap a 4 week old baby on during a race to introduce them to daddy's lifestyle lol.

Walster

I am Walstero the most beautiful man in the world
Aug 13, 2003
What are you all........a bunch of whining yanks. Nobody at the show saw any danger and many have stated so in papers. The man is a professional and was surrounded by professional handlers. There was also a safe working distance between them. Fact is that salties have a top speed of no more than 15k on land.......you could almost walk faster. This is a FACT!!!

tiga

Apr 28, 2003
Blue Mountains NSW
Walster I can just see you sitting there with your radar gun clocking crocs ;);D ROFLMAO

Well from the time I spent at Rockhampton Crocodile farm I can guarantee you that some of them move a tad quicker than 15km/h. Just like humans we don't all have the natural ability or build to run as fast as Matt Shirvington but some of us do. You should see how fast a lean female that's guarding a nest can move if it gets disturbed. Faster than 15km/h thats for sure.

The thing that concerned me most about this whole thing was the way he was not supporting the baby's head. Their necks are very fragile at this stage of life and need to be supported at all times.

Yes I agree, the media has gone too far with this and I replied again because I took the bait and objected to the dismissive tone of PRR's reply and anyway you must be entertained by this thread as you've come back for seconds. ;D

BTW Sigfried and Roy are professionals with many years experience and look what happened there.....

jackstar

Tiger Matchwinner
Jul 5, 2003
Steve Irwin is a wanker.
Firstly you will find the Queensland Government has helped him establish his business through non-refundable grants, disguised as helping tourism.

Secondly, any parent can basically treat and bring up there child how they like, look at all the ferral kids on this web-site. problem with Mr Irwin that he advertised this show as the first show for Bob in which he gained profits for.
Any parent would know that a 4 week old child wouldnt know where they were, whether at the footy or in a croc pen.How could he say that his son would benefit by the experience, absolute CRAP.
If Steve Irwin wants to bring his kids up this way, do it in an enviroment where no one else is watching and not having people paying to see it.
Overall, an absolute disgrace. No wonder our society is sick .

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
Laughing all the way to the bank.

The fact that IRWIN has got people talking about it on here is exactly what this was all about, publicity. (I'm not commenting on the wisedom of this methods) But it was all a publicity stunt.

Rosy hit the nail on the head here. The most danger to the child was the way he was holding him, not the croc. This is a controlled environment, not outback Australia.

You can argue all you like about the speed of croc's etc, but its irrelevant. There is a huge difference between a wild croc and a croc that is kept in captivity and used to being around humans.

I am not saying it was a smart move by any means, but then again I doubt that Steve IRWIN has made his money from Intellectual genius.

All the media hype is just playing into their hands by giving them the publicity they are seeking. For him publicity is money. End of story.

julzqld

Do or do not - there is no try!
Dec 17, 2002
Palm Beach, Queensland
I'm probably going to regret getting into this but here goes .... Probably not the best thing Steve Irwin has done and he said on the American Today show that if he could go back to Friday he would have gone surfing instead. Terri Irwin was also in the enclosure and whilst not shown I'm sure someone like Wes Mannion was also close at hand, if not several other Australia Zoo employees. Comparing him to Michael Jackson is just the media sensationalising the whole thing. Michael Jackson is so out of touch with the real world it isn't funny. Hetty Johnston, director of Bravehearts and outspoken child advocate has backed the Irwins saying they are not abusive parents. Once again, the Dept of Family Services are in over-kill for their past botch-ups (Brooke Brennan/abused foster care children) and are trying to cover their backsides. Pity they don't reserve all that energy for real child abuse cases like the Brooke Brennan case and actually save children lives.

P

PuntRoadRoar

tiga said:
I also think that your knowledge on crocodile behaviour is weak at best. Have you ever seen big dirt mounds in northern estuarine areas of Australia on dry land?? Well they're called crocodile nests. If you see one just sit on top of it and wait and see what happens. I have video proof that crocs do move aggressively and very quickly on land. So basically you're talking crap!

back to school for you tiga !!!

your wrong on two accounts

1. Yes I do have Children and another one on the way

2. read it for yourself:

how quickly can they run? Most crocodiles can achieve speeds of around 12 to 14 kph for short periods, which is somewhat slower than a fit human can run. Don't believe the hype - if you're reasonably fit, you can definitely outrun a crocodile! Even faster are galloping crocodiles, and Australian freshwater crocodiles have been clocked at just over 17 kph over distances of perhaps 20 to 30 metres before they begin to tire. In these cases, the crocodile is running away from a threat - only certain extinct species of terrestrial crocodyliforms regularly hunted using a similar gait, which perhaps explains its origins.

However, crocodiles can accelerate much faster than this over very short distances by exploding into action - I have measured adult saltwater crocodiles (around 4 metres total length) moving at 12 metres per second for a quarter of a second, which is long enough to capture prey standing within one body length before it even has time to react. This is where crocodiles excel - launching themselves into motion from a standing start, hoping to cover the short distance between themselves and their prey before the prey can react. This isn't running, however, because the crocodile cannot maintain this acceleration for more than a very brief instant.

Bear in mind that crocodiles do not normally chase their prey - their typical hunting strategy is one of surprise, lunging at prey and capturing it in a single fluid movement. Secondly, crocodiles have a relatively low stamina and their physiology does not permit sustained exercise. When a crocodile runs, it is nearly always away from a potential threat and into the water (see photo). Adult males and females defending their territory or a nest may pursue an intruder, but this is normally over a short distance until the intruder has retreated a sufficient distance. Be aware that crocodilians are not the sluggish creatures they are often portrayed to be, and can move very rapidly when they need to. However, they can not run around at speeds most cheetahs would be proud of.

MYTH! It is often said that you can outwit a crocodile by running in a zig-zag fashion away from it. This isn't true! Humans can out run crocodiles on land, and a straight line is the fastest way of putting distance between yourself and the crocodile. Most crocodile attack victims never see the crocodile coming - they use surprise, not speed.

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/natsci/herpetology/brittoncrocs/cbd-faq-q4.htm

julzqld

Do or do not - there is no try!
Dec 17, 2002
Palm Beach, Queensland
I always thought the running in a zig-zag fashion would be very hard work! I've heard that crocs are slower on land than in the water. I remember reading about a woman who was in a boat and the croc lept up, grabbed her and started the death roll. She managed to escape and climbed up a tree only to have the croc launch itself in the air, grab her again and yet she still managed to escape.

g0tigers

carn the mighty tiges
Jun 16, 2003
Victoria, Australia
The way he was holding the little baby was just as bad. Pretty dangerous letting a 4 week old baby's head flop around unsupported

Rosy thats the first thing that came to mind when the footage was shown.

As much as i think what he did was bloosy stupid, i also thought the media blew the whole thing out of proportion.

Sure his kids need to learn about saftey around crocs....but at 4 months is the baby really going to absorb any of it?