What an absolute disgrace | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

What an absolute disgrace

the claw

thufferin thuckertash
Jun 17, 2003
WA
Redford said:
I think Liverpool is right and Tiger74 is wrong.
here here hes usually right. i say lets make livvers prime minister of australia.we could do worse.

the claw

thufferin thuckertash
Jun 17, 2003
WA
heres a disgrace for people. i spent 5 days in hospital friday to tuesday last week.
opposite me was abloke who was 50 and had cerebal palsy and parkinsons disease together .he has no immediate family and he had a friend looking after him. he has progresively got worse and she cant look after him anymore so while he was in hospital they were trying to find a place for him to stay with people with similar illnesses and people around his own age.
low and behold in the boom town of perth there is only one place like this and it is tootally booked out with waiting lists longer than your arm.
they ended up sending him to an old persons home. we talk about priorities but it seems the only priority politicians have is getting reelected by hook or by crook. bring on the revolution i say.

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
the claw said:
heres a disgrace for people. i spent 5 days in hospital friday to tuesday last week.
opposite me was abloke who was 50 and had cerebal palsy and parkinsons disease together .he has no immediate family and he had a friend looking after him. he has progresively got worse and she cant look after him anymore so while he was in hospital they were trying to find a place for him to stay with people with similar illnesses and people around his own age.
low and behold in the boom town of perth there is only one place like this and it is tootally booked out with waiting lists longer than your arm.
they ended up sending him to an old persons home. we talk about priorities but it seems the only priority politicians have is getting reelected by hook or by crook. bring on the revolution i say.
Bloody politicians :mad:
Regardless of their political persuasion, governments are in place to look after THE people.
Happy bastards parade around bragging about billion$ surpluses, well here's an idea for the numbskulls in respective parliaments, draft some bloody laws that put a set amount of any surplus back into health care.

Its a bloody disgrace that in todays age and billions upon billions of $$ coming in Australian citizens are still putting up with this farce.
Do it better or get out!! :mad:

Liverpool

How did that Julia and Kevin thing work out? :)
Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
Tiger74 said:
The backpackers then came along, and they have helped a lot in some areas, but this is still not enough. Outside of literally forcing people to relocate to work on farms (which has major issues - something I don't think we have ever done in Australia), I personally see the short term working visa as an option.

And the problem with getting longer-termed unemployed people who have been on welfare long enough to do this work is?

It is illogical and farcical to, on one hand, complain about population growth...natural resources to sustain a growing population (water, etc)...infrastructure to sustain a growing population (packed trains and roads)...and have a Government only months ago at budget time stress that unemployment will rise within Australia........and then support more people being imported in to work here!

It is a contradiction...simple as that.

1eyedtiger said:
Livers, I asked you that question on the assumption that you would pay your own way. You're not a foreigner.
This is where the heart of the matter is to me. The Australian government can bend over backwards helping foreigners but won't lift a finger to help Australians (see bold bit about buses). I think that there is something fundamentally wrong about that.

Oh no....if the Government are setting aside money to import workers, set them up with travel arrangements, acommodation, and all the other overheads required to satisfy this ridiculous project (satisfying cultural and language differences as well)....then the unemployed Australians shouldn't be paying themselves to go to these places, the Government can use the money to relocate the long-term unemployed Australians dotted across the country to work here instead of using it on importing workers.

But then again....chasing Islanders all across the country after they overstay their so-called 'special temporary visa' should make for some gripping episodes of "Border Security" for me to enjoy on Monday nights! 8)

Tiger74

In deedily doodily neighbourino!
Jul 2, 2004
Melbourne
Liverpool said:
And the problem with getting longer-termed unemployed people who have been on welfare long enough to do this work is?

It is illogical and farcical to, on one hand, complain about population growth...natural resources to sustain a growing population (water, etc)...infrastructure to sustain a growing population (packed trains and roads)...and have a Government only months ago at budget time stress that unemployment will rise within Australia........and then support more people being imported in to work here!

It is a contradiction...simple as that.

No its not, we bring population in to meet a short term need, and when that need is fulfilled they return home.

Liverpool

Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
Tiger74 said:
No its not, we bring population in to meet a short term need, and when that need is fulfilled they return home.

Uhm....yeah.....right....watch 'Border Security' tomorrow night for another example of workers "fulfilling their visa and going home". ;)

Tiger74

Jul 2, 2004
Melbourne
Liverpool said:
Uhm....yeah.....right....watch 'Border Security' tomorrow night for another example of workers "fulfilling their visa and going home". ;)

not judging all on the actions of the few are you, but of course you never do that :)

Liverpool

Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
Tiger74 said:
not judging all on the actions of the few are you, but of course you never do that :)

Oh no...just giving you an example of what our customs and immigration officers will face more of by having unemployed Islanders arrive here to do some work with the known proviso that they will be going back to their mundane existence once their term is over......a problem that would not exist if we hired workers internally. :)

Tiger74

Jul 2, 2004
Melbourne
Liverpool said:
Oh no...just giving you an example of what our customs and immigration officers will face more of by having unemployed Islanders arrive here to do some work with the known proviso that they will be going back to their mundane existence once their term is over......a problem that would not exist if we hired workers internally. :)

Yet they will face different problems, being the first Western nation in many years to send police/security to collect people into trucks for their forced repatriation to locations where their mandatory labour is required.

Forcing people to relocate against their will goes against a lot a democracy believes in.

Michael

Tiger Champion
Nov 30, 2004
Liverpool

You cant force people to pick fruit. You cant force people to relocate.

Its a business, the growers pay the pickers.
The growers cant get enough people to pick, so they suggest the idea of bringing in workers that want to pick the fruit.
This work has been around since Peter Cundall arrived on the first fleet.

Its interesting t read that some of the growers have requested longer visas for the workers so that they can train them in other work

Liverpool

Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
Michael said:
Liverpool
You cant force people to pick fruit. You cant force people to relocate.
Its a business, the growers pay the pickers.
The growers cant get enough people to pick, so they suggest the idea of bringing in workers that want to pick the fruit.
This work has been around since Peter Cundall arrived on the first fleet.
Its interesting t read that some of the growers have requested longer visas for the workers so that they can train them in other work

Michael,
It's not "forcing" people....it's called "persuading" them ;) ...for example:

After 6 months of receiving unemployment benefits the Government will pay for you to be relocated to an area where labour is required. Once relocated you will be paid for the work you do. Refusal to be relocated is an option which you are free to make but welfare benefits will cease if this option is chosen.

The Chairman recently used a similar tactic with truant school-kids.....either the kids go to school or the parent's welfare get stopped...so why can't a similar idea be used for long-term unemployed Australians instead of importing people?

Tiger74

Jul 2, 2004
Melbourne
Liverpool said:
Michael,
It's not "forcing" people....it's called "persuading" them ;) ...for example:

After 6 months of receiving unemployment benefits the Government will pay for you to be relocated to an area where labour is required. Once relocated you will be paid for the work you do. Refusal to be relocated is an option which you are free to make but welfare benefits will cease if this option is chosen.

The Chairman recently used a similar tactic with truant school-kids.....either the kids go to school or the parent's welfare get stopped...so why can't a similar idea be used for long-term unemployed Australians instead of importing people?

A big difference between you kid walking 5km to school, and you having to leave your family and kids to go pick fruit 2000km away for 3-6 months.

Liverpool

Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
Tiger74 said:
A big difference between you kid walking 5km to school, and you having to leave your family and kids to go pick fruit 2000km away for 3-6 months.

Well, you don't HAVE to go 2000km away....you can refuse to go (and miss out on welfare).
Take your pick?

After 6 months of looking for a job...someone has to take action as it certainly isn't the recipient who is prepared to make a step in the right direction.
And why should the taxpayer fund this extended holiday?

Tiger74

Jul 2, 2004
Melbourne
Liverpool said:
Well, you don't HAVE to go 2000km away....you can refuse to go (and miss out on welfare).
Take your pick?

After 6 months of looking for a job...someone has to take action as it certainly isn't the recipient who is prepared to make a step in the right direction.
And why should the taxpayer fund this extended holiday?

Its not a holiday, they have to keep looking for a job to get the dole.

As for your plan, do you support seperating families to send people to the other side of the country to pick fruit? Also who foots the bill for the travel, because you earn SFA picking fruit?

hutstar

Tiger Superstar
Dec 17, 2002
Florida
Liverpool said:
You only write this because you know I am on the money.

The Chairman has rushed through 'special visas' before to suit the occasion:

Construction work visa changes on cards for Australian immigration
Tuesday, 11 March 2008
Construction workers wanting to live around the beach and wine regions could be in for a treat if Kevin Rudd follows through with immigration changes.
Australian Prime Minister Kevin Rudd has recently addressed the skills shortages in Australia's construction industry.
A special visa that will allow easier entry into Australia for builders could be introduced within three months of government approval.

http://www.migrationexpert.com/Australia/Visa/australian_immigration_news/2008/Mar/0/215/Construction_work_visa_changes_on_cards_for_Australian_immigration

New visa to attract superyachts to Australia
30 April 2008
“A new tailored visa for the crews of superyachts will provide a boost to the tourism industry”, the Minister for Immigration and Citizenship, Senator Chris Evans, said today. The new superyacht visa fulfilled a Rudd Government election commitment to create a special visa class to support the growing superyacht industry and assist tourism in areas like Queensland's Great Barrier Reef region

http://www.holdingredlich.com.au/what-s-news-in-immigration-|-12-may-2008

I'm tipping that once a few bleeding hearts start about the poor Islanders staying here, the Chairman will rush through another special visa to suit the occasion.
WOW - you sure are paranoid Liverpool. Your problem here seems to be with the granting of permanent Visas (that hasn't happened and won't) to islanders who are taking jobs (that no one wants) off Australians.
Pretty long bow to draw.
Still you must be pleased with Rudd being PM, it gives you and your talk show radio mates plenty to entertain yourselves with for a few years.
You would think that with your right wing mantra you would change your moniker to, say 'Melbourne Victory' - given that it is those filthy foreigners from the UK that take more Aussie Jobs than anyone. We should be changing Visa laws there too - i am sure you will agree.

Liverpool

Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
Tiger74 said:
Its not a holiday, they have to keep looking for a job to get the dole.

I know a person who has been on the dole for over 10 years!
They don't have to 'look' too bloody hard, I can tell you!!!

6 months is enough for genuine job-searchers to find something and people still (supposedly) searching after this time are either not looking hard enough or have no intention to get something and want to just bludge off the taxpayer.
If this is the case, then its up to the Government to 'persuade' them to get back on track or they don't get paid.
People should not be rewarded for doing nothing.

Tiger74 said:
As for your plan, do you support seperating families to send people to the other side of the country to pick fruit? Also who foots the bill for the travel, because you earn SFA picking fruit?

Well, the islanders are prepared to separate from their family to make a living here....so why can't Australians, so long out of work (6 months or more) be willing and able to move to help support their own families for a period?
And as for travel bill....if the Government are willing to fork out thousands (if not millions of $$$) to pay for people to fly here, to help them with language and culture differences, etc...then why can't this money be used to help unemployed Australians travel internally to pick this fruit?

hutstar said:
WOW - you sure are paranoid Liverpool. Your problem here seems to be with the granting of permanent Visas (that hasn't happened and won't) to islanders who are taking jobs (that no one wants) off Australians.
Pretty long bow to draw.

No, I have a problem with people being imported in to do unskilled work here when we do have unemployed people here within our own country.
That is the number one reason I object to this excursion the Chairman is undertaking.

The second one that of these workers becoming permanent citizens here.....and I think that is fair enough to question when we have threads on this very forum complaining about population growth, water shortages, prices of food, prices of petrol, housing problems and prices...and the very Government in power now warning us of a rise in unemployment.

hutstar said:
Still you must be pleased with Rudd being PM, it gives you and your talk show radio mates plenty to entertain yourselves with for a few years.
You would think that with your right wing mantra you would change your moniker to, say 'Melbourne Victory' - given that it is those filthy foreigners from the UK that take more Aussie Jobs than anyone. We should be changing Visa laws there too - i am sure you will agree.

FIFA has already spoken about a 'limit' on foreigners playing in domestic leagues:

FIFA chief Sepp Blatter vows to limit Premier League's foreigners
Blatter said: "In England you have just four teams, maybe five, who are there fighting for the title and qualification for European competitions.
"All the other clubs are simply playing not to get relegated. They are just sparring partners. That's not enough.
"It is not only England. The situation is the same in France, Spain and Germany. A young player entering a big club has no more motivation that they can move through the ranks to play in the first team, because the manager will just go and buy players on the free market. The clubs do not try to educate players.
"You have to remember the origins of the game was local, the team was from a local area. Then it became regional. But now we have to maintain it so that it is national, so that the clubs do not become an international ensemble like artists in a show.
"No. Keep the national identity. If you do keep that national identity, you have other advantages."
Blatter added: "The first advantage is that the population where the club is playing can identify with that club. This idea will balance the leagues and enhance the quality of the national team.
"Go to any country and ask the population if they like their national team. They do like the national team, like the anthem, the national colours and the flag and to be together."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2008/02/16/fifa-chief-sepp-blatter-vows-to-limit-premier-league-s-foreigners-89520-20321302/

Tiger74

Jul 2, 2004
Melbourne
Liverpool said:
I know a person who has been on the dole for over 10 years!
They don't have to 'look' too bloody hard, I can tell you!!!

6 months is enough for genuine job-searchers to find something and people still (supposedly) searching after this time are either not looking hard enough or have no intention to get something and want to just bludge off the taxpayer.
If this is the case, then its up to the Government to 'persuade' them to get back on track or they don't get paid.
People should not be rewarded for doing nothing.

Well, the islanders are prepared to separate from their family to make a living here....so why can't Australians, so long out of work (6 months or more) be willing and able to move to help support their own families for a period?
And as for travel bill....if the Government are willing to fork out thousands (if not millions of $$$) to pay for people to fly here, to help them with language and culture differences, etc...then why can't this money be used to help unemployed Australians travel internally to pick this fruit?

Big difference mate, these people are CHOOSING to move, you are FORCING them to move.

I love the irony in that you are adopting the kind of policy Mao or Pol Pot would have loved.

Liverpool

Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
Tiger74 said:
Big difference mate, these people are CHOOSING to move, you are FORCING them to move.
I love the irony in that you are adopting the kind of policy Mao or Pol Pot would have loved.

Where have I forced anyone to move again???

hutstar

Tiger Superstar
Dec 17, 2002
Florida
I wasn't referring to Soccer players, I was referring to the large number of unskilled migrants coming from the UK to do work in Australia. Surely this should be abolished also?
Simple point of fact - no one is "taking" aussie jobs. If there is a shortage of workers in an industry, then source them from elsewhere if necessary - as long as the work gets done and the profits go into the economy. If it helps an islander family a bit, then even better. It isn't actually a competition of Australia Vs the rest. You can't expect people to relocate to the middle of nowhere to find work, even if they are unemployed.
Don't stress so much mate.
Finally, you keep referring to the Chairman- yes very witty, even if it is the equivalent of Lefties calling Howard Hitler and just as distasteful - but it seems to me that your proposition is the height of social engineering? Irony?

Liverpool

Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
hutstar said:
Simple point of fact - no one is "taking" aussie jobs. If there is a shortage of workers in an industry, then source them from elsewhere if necessary - as long as the work gets done and the profits go into the economy.

THAT is the fallacy, Hutstar!
We are not talking about a shortage of SKILLED workers where it is a role within an industry where Australia has a shortage.

We are talking about UNSKILLED jobs here than anyone physically capable can be doing it and as far as I'm concerned, if we have unskilled jobs on offer and unemployed Aussies out there, then there is no need to import UNSKILLED migrants to do those jobs.

And if we have Islanders willing to travel from the middle of the Pacific (at the Government's expense) to work then I can't see why Australians can't travel (at the Government's expense) from the middle of nowhere to work if they are fair dinkum in trying to find a job.

Sh!t, if its taken them over 6 months and they still can't find a job and they really want to work....then surely they would be more than happy for the Government to provide them one with travel and accommodation expenses paid for as well as getting paid to do the job too?
Only someone who doesn't want to work would sneeze at that.