What did Danny Frawley say on SEN 1116? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

What did Danny Frawley say on SEN 1116?

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
Didn't hear it, but would bet that the words:

Yeah Nah, we'll be cherry ripe, I'm proud of the boys

were used often.

sadira

I'm a llama!
Aug 18, 2003
Yep, heard it.

Main items discussed:

1. He was super positive about 04 (what do you expect) b/c last yr, about 11 of the guys had interrupted pre seasons whereas this yr it's only Bowden.

2. When asked where the improvement would come from this yr, he said he expected continued improvement from the young boys (Krak with 3 seasons now and Rodan with 2 seasons, Newman in the midfield and Zantuck as KPP) + he called Campbell, Gaspar & Ottens 'new recruits' given their injuries last yr + Nathan Brown.

3. He said Brown has improved the overall training and skills sessions of the team by about 10%, and when asked by Tim Watson where Brown would play, he said b/n the midfield and forward line.

4. He said they had to get less predictable on the park and that b/c injuries were few this year, he had the team to play full out attack rather than having to fill the holes like last yr and play defensive. Seemed to suggest his game plan would be out and out attack.

5. Bowden would resume full training in about 2 weeks.

6. No one asked him about defense.

7. He was tough on Billy Brownless about rumours Brownless mentioned that Terry Wallace is a potential coach next yr - saying that Billy shouldnt start rumors without any proof. Billy said nothing during the rest of the interview.

8. A listener asked him about Matty Rogers and Houla. Frawley said Rogers had beefed up significantly and would be playing a new/different position this yr (I got the impression he meant forward). He said Houla was a very skilled player who performs well at Telstra Dome!

9. When asked if he would still be coach next yr if we don't finish right up there, he said the pressure was on everyone - players and coach, but mentioned that even Peter Schwab kept his job with the Hawks finishing the season well, yet outside the 8.

10. The most interesting item was Watson saying that many clubs were unhappy with RFC for our aggressive, almost unethical approach to trading period. Frawley said that Sollo's management contacted RFC first, not that we went to him first.

Walster

I am Walstero the most beautiful man in the world
Aug 13, 2003
If nothing else Point4 seems to be a pleasant change of attitude, but what if injuries hit again??????

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
Glad to hear that an attacking style of play is on the agenda, injuries permitting.
Fail to see the significance of Houlihan being a good player at Telstra Dome, unless he's implying he's a good indoor player? Still should guarentee 6 or so good games from Houlihan next year, which is more than we've had from him so far.

Third Ring

Richmond is...
Oct 3, 2003
Interesting his comment about injuries at the start of the year. My first reaction was "but we got off to a 6-2 start, so they weren't underdone"...

But then I reconsidered and I guess where it hit us was, these 11 guys were all bolters - they had enough fitness to hold for the first few games, but not enough strength to see through the winter and see out the long season.

bit of a worry if Brown's lifted our skill by 10% - he's 1 of 18 starters (and Dogs supporters weren't full of praise for his goal kicking action)...probably more likely just a throwaway line.

Dean3

Older than I've ever been
Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
bit of a worry if Brown's lifted our skill by 10% - he's 1 of 18 starters (and Dogs supporters weren't full of praise for his goal kicking action)...probably more likely just a throwaway line.

I s'pose it isn't so silly if you say that we average around 300 team possessions per game, and you're hoping that Brown can get 30 per game. That's 10% of our total possessions.

Still, as far as skill goes, we're coming off a pretty low base ;D

wrennyboy

Go The Mighty Tigers
Dec 6, 2003
Gold Coast
Hmm i dunno about rogers in the forward line. Is there anyway they would have this on archives on the site of the thing? Does anyone have a link to what frawley said?

sabretooth

I don't sleep for a week when we get beat - JD
Dec 9, 2003
defence! defence! defence!

Ya can't play a whole game defending.

Ya can't win games by just defending.

Our guys must have finished the season in a state of shell shock.

Look out - incoming!

Give us a break!

tiger_10_grr

The tiges at the G - there's no better place to be
Sep 10, 2003
melb
sadira said:
4. He said they had to get less predictable on the park and that b/c injuries were few this year, he had the team to play full out attack rather than having to fill the holes like last yr and play defensive. Seemed to suggest his game plan would be out and out attack.

Attacking game plan.............now i've got the rose coloured glasses on!

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
wrennyboy said:
Hmm i dunno about rogers in the forward line.

I think the forward line is the ideal spot for Rogo and a couple of goals a game from him isn't beyond his capabilities.

Where do you think he should be played wrenny?

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
Frawley is making all the right noises but history suggests that when the pressure's on, he will fold faster than superman on laundry day.

sadira

I'm a llama!
Aug 18, 2003
Bigwow - Agree with you - I also thought his comments re: Houla were odd!

Wrenny - I said that I got the impression he meant forward b/c Frawley said that last yr, Rogers played midfield and they were looking to play him in a new role. He then went on to say that a couple of yrs back, Rogers kicked 40 goals from the goal square!
Actually, I agree with Rosy an dthink he can play forward - he's too slow for the midfield, I think.

Also agree with TF - these are all the right noises supporters want to hear. But it does make me remember 1 other thing he said which was: the fact that our m/ship was at a high this early in the yr says that the supporters are happy with our recruiting and positive about where we are going in 04.

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Sadira Thanks for that excellent summary :D Much appreciated.

Rogers ONLY position should be in the forward line that's what a fair few of us have been saying for a fair while now. To me it seems almost as many people have been saying for a similar amount of time, that Rory Hilton should never be used in the backline (For reasons stated many times before).
To add to that we have mostly all been screaming for more TALLS to be on the list for a few years now.

It is amazing how long it takes the club to recognise and correct the deficiences that many of us seem to be able to see long before RFC admits there is a problem.
However, FINALLY this appears to be happening this year. And FINALLY we have hope for the future. Instead of a fresh breed of recycled hacks.
This is one of the reasons, IMO, why the membership coffers are beginning to swell again.

If Spud's comments (re: a more attacking gameplan) are true, and we are able to see that early on, we will see many more members jump on board.

Personally, I am not expecting too much from 04 (It will be a pleasant change to have some developing kids to watch for the Coburg Tigers and I will enjoy watching brown and the other newbies play, aswell as continued improvement from the likes of Krak Schulz Fiora Newman Zantuck etc) but the trading and draft periods next year will be fascinating (as Miller will again be out upsetting clubs in the name of finding RFC on-field success) and 05 IMO will be the season where it all starts to really happen for us long suffering fans and our club.

The ROAR is only a grumble at this stage, but it's a start.

;D 8)

Al Bundy

Premiers 2017, 2019, 2020 ...2021?
Aug 27, 2003
Melbourne
In hindsight Rogers has been used everywhere. Last year they TV asked after a game where he liked to play. With a smile he said well, there hasn't been too many positions he hasn't played (I think the ruck is the only one!) When he came onto the scene he was a brillant HF flanker. Yes he had a spastic attack when lining up for goals, but playing him in part of the field will help his mental approach to the game... hold on...

Cogs bulked up... Buck Rogers bulked up... I saw the pic TG posted on Big Footy site.. nah ..slapping myself... could we be doing something right....slap#$@ again...

diggler

The Tigers Spine
Dec 18, 2002
Rodgers deserves to be playing park football, not AFL.
He will play 20 senior games this year and thats why we will finish no higher than 12th!

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003
20 games lol--I'd be suprised if he gets any.Your right though Diggler if he s a regular we'll be travelling pretty badly.Same goes for Houlahan Pettiffer and Fletcher.

tigerarmy

Tiger Cub
May 22, 2003
Melbourne
rosy3 said:
wrennyboy said:
Hmm i dunno about rogers in the forward line.

I think the forward line is the ideal spot for Rogo and a couple of goals a game from him isn't beyond his capabilities.

Where do you think he should be played wrenny?

I agree Rosy. I think in a pocket is an ideal place for Rogo. If you can throw him in a pocket and he can get 20-30 goals in a year, I dont think anyone would expect that much.

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
If Rogers has bulked up, and prepared himself as well as reports indicate, he must be aware that the Public is calling for his head. Since this is most likely his last season in any case, it appears he is setting himself to go out on a high note.
Good luck to him, when he arrived in 94? with Jamie Tape, they were going to be the saviours, (Rogers was, at the time one of the few on the list whose field kicking with both feet was reasonable, and many on the list couldn't kick with their preferred foot) and it seemed that things were turning around, but it didn't last.
Rogers should be good for 35-40 goals if played exclusively out of the goal square, as a foil to the talls.
He's a fairly good mark, has a strong body, and can kick a goal.