What is Neil Balme thinking? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

What is Neil Balme thinking?

TigerPort said:
The Richmond Football Club is not a one man band.

The Richmond Football Club is - these days - all about the process.

Peggy, Brendon, Neil, Damien would be fully across what needs to be done and they will be planning to get through this period.

The next 4 to 6 weeks is a huge challenge for not only Hardwick but all the coaches, the medical guys, the trainers, all the players and all the support staff.

However the next 4 to 6 weeks is also a huge opportunity for not only Hardwick but all the coaches, the medical guys, the trainers, all of the players and all the support staff.

The so called "B Grade" players need to find the ability within themselves to lift to a higher level that they might not have been able to achieve with the "big 4" always there to do the work. Opportunity

The kids like Balta, Stack, Ross, Naish will get earlier chances and more of them. Opportunity

Guys like Higgins, Graham have the chance to grow and take more responsibility, maybe a bit earlier than planned. Opportunity

Guys like Markov, Menadue and Bolton will get their chance and will be given more time. The club and themselves will find out if they have a future. Opportunity

Lynch gets to be the main man up forward. The other players will get to know his style of play quicker. Opportunity

And then in 6, 8 10 weeks the established players get back from injury and slot back into the team. Potentially we can be a higher performing team at that time than we would have been if we weren't going through this current phase. Opportunity

So what can the "Richmond Army" do. Well individually we all have to make one of two choices. We can get behind the club. Attend the games and attend training and cheer as loudly as we did when we were on top of the AFL not that long ago. Cement our reputation as the best supporters. Give the club, the coaches and the players lift they need now.

Or you can sit there going woe is me, woe is my life and taking pot shots on social media at the club, the coaches, the players

Go tiges!!

:clap

TigerPort said:

Peggy, Brendon, Neil, Damien would be fully across what needs to be done and they will be planning to get through this period.

The next 4 to 6 weeks is a huge challenge for not only Hardwick but all the coaches, the medical guys, the trainers, all the players and all the support staff.

However the next 4 to 6 weeks is also a huge opportunity for not only Hardwick but all the coaches, the medical guys, the trainers, all of the players and all the support staff.

The so called "B Grade" players need to find the ability within themselves to lift to a higher level that they might not have been able to achieve with the "big 4" always there to do the work. Opportunity

The kids like Balta, Stack, Ross, Naish will get earlier chances and more of them. Opportunity

Guys like Higgins, Graham have the chance to grow and take more responsibility, maybe a bit earlier than planned. Opportunity

Guys like Markov, Menadue and Bolton will get their chance and will be given more time. The club and themselves will find out if they have a future. Opportunity

Lynch gets to be the main man up forward. The other players will get to know his style of play quicker. Opportunity

And then in 6, 8 10 weeks the established players get back from injury and slot back into the team. Potentially we can be a higher performing team at that time than we would have been if we weren't going through this current phase. Opportunity

So what can the "Richmond Army" do. Well individually we all have to make one of two choices. We can get behind the club. Attend the games and attend training and cheer as loudly as we did when we were on top of the AFL not that long ago. Cement our reputation as the best supporters. Give the club, the coaches and the players lift they need now.

Or you can sit there going woe is me, woe is my life and taking pot shots on social media at the club, the coaches, the players

Go tiges!!
Gold post , all facts and no myths

TigerPort said:

Go tiges!!

All conjecture of course. And the facts that stare everybody in the face is the performance, or lack of performance, that has seen the Tigers really struggle from the failed PL in 2018 to now.

And as I wrote in a previous post:
The heat is not on just the players, but the “senior” coach and I would go so far as to say the next four to five weeks will be the most challenging of Hardwick’s coaching career.

I stand by that and hold no love for a coach, or a collection of coaches that find excuses for failure. Pot shots you say? Like you I'm allowed an opinion but unlike you I stay focused on the topic - What is Neil Balme thinking?

Ten years is a long time coaching at the same AFL club and I hope those people you mentioned (I'm impressed you're on a first named basis with them all) put the club before individuals at the end of the 2019 season. Particularly if the senior coach fails to turn "his" ship around.

TigerPort said:

Go tiges!!

Some quality posting right there. It’s everything I believe said far better than I could.

Good job mate :clap

Tigerdangerous said:
All conjecture of course. And the facts that stare everybody in the face is the performance, or lack of performance, that has seen the Tigers really struggle from the failed PL in 2018 to now.

The heat is not on just the players, but the “senior” coach and I would go so far as to say the next four to five weeks will be the most challenging of Hardwick’s coaching career.

I stand by that and hold no love for a coach, or a collection of coaches that find excuses for failure. Pot shots you say? Like you I'm allowed an opinion but unlike you I stay focused on the topic - What is Neil Balme thinking?

Ten years is a long time coaching at the same AFL club and I hope those people you mentioned (I'm impressed you're on a first named basis with them all) put the club before individuals at the end of the 2019 season. Particularly if the senior coach fails to turn "his" ship around.

Everyone went on about how we had no injuries for 2 years when we were going well.
Now we have injuries, apparently they are not an excuse anyway. Which is it..?

In a Premiership year we lost 4 games in a row. We are 3 games in. I think you have gone a bit hard a bit early..

Tigerdangerous said:

But unless one of us in actually Neil Balme then your thread title can only be answered with conjecture

Tigerdangerous said:

Challenging I remember 2016 obviously you don't.

Tigerdangerous said:
There’s a lot of knee jerk comments to my post with some even predicting the response of Balme (or should I call him Neil, adds a certain touch of authority using a first name) to our situation that has been brewing for more months than people care to admit to.

I understand your frustration but rather than giving smart arse comments you might consider how the Head of the Richmond Football Department “might” respond to his head coach rubber stamping the appointment of a coach to his team from a failed club culture like St.Kilda? Essendon nabs a gem in Ben Rutten with premiership coaching credentials and Richmond does the exact opposite to replace him?????

You might also comment on “tramtracks Hardwicks” inability to develop players and persists with proven failures at AFL level. I hope Balme is!

You might also like to comment on our playing groups continued fragile mindset and that’s been a trademark for years.

Winning the premiership covered a lot of persistent cracks in the behaviour and performance of a number of players and our head coach in particular. Let’s see how strong our culture of “enjoying yourself and your football” holds up in 2019. Let’s see how well Hardwick responds and let’s hope Balme has a Plan B up his sleeve because we all know Hardwick doesn’t.

Obviously got lucky with that GF win (lucky the whole finals really), and lucky with that record winning streak at the G. 20 odd lucky wins hey, papering over the grand canyon.

How about we revisit this tripe at the business end of the season? Hopefully you're still around posting.

Might be thinking about branching out into a singing career now that he's sporting a bit of a Kenny Rogers look.

sxhwc1c.jpg

Balmey leaving the tribunal was asked about the treatment Dusty has been getting said that Dusty needs to deal with it. The bit i liked was he said we need to help him. I hope by that he means that Towner or Caddy is going to fly the flag, which is what all of the Richmond players should have been doing.

tigersnake said:
says a big contender for the PRE cherry picker of the decade comp.

I guess reading through all the posts is a little too much to ask for many who make comments on this site and clearly I'm not part of the "PRE Club" and that's fine by me. I'm pleased the club took the Martin suspension to the AFL and had it reduced. That is quite a rare thing for the club to do; take on the AFL.

I'm pleased that Balme said after the appeal, "He's just got to take a breath. He's a very, very good player. He gets the treatment because that's what he is, so he's just got to go past it and we need to help him a bit with it." And the coaches need to do something much more pro-active with Martin and while a few here say the other players need to fly the flag for Martin I say Martin needs to fly the bloody flag for his team mates and the club. His down in the mouth, lack luster performances of late cannot be healthy for his team mates or the current situation the team finds itself in. Will Hardwick continue playing a player who appears to disappear during the game in the manner Martin does?

We got a glimpse of what Balme is thinking after the appeal and it does shine a light on tramtracks Hardwick. More of the same by the coach and the selectors won't cut it I would have thought.

Tigerdangerous. If you were a real Tigers supporter you would know that it's 'Eat 'em Alive'. Not 'Eat 'um Alive'. (Whatever that means?)

Also, I think your posts are just dross, to be frank.

You seem to have no idea how RFC works, or any football club for that manner. Your attacks on Hardwick and players are unfounded considering our recent record and I really question your motives.

Gotta laugh at all the negativity because we are 1-2 after 3 rounds.

What a joke.

The only thing I am p!ssed about is our return to the ol' chippy chippy sideways backward game plan!

ATM I'd rather see positive ball movement with errors than negative ball movement with errors. WTF is Hardwick trying to prove by stymying forward movement with stop n prop footy, AGAIN!!!

I see BEllis as a liability too. His attack on the football reminds me of Tyrone Vickery, SOFT!

Other than that I'm actually looking forward to gun players returning from injury and getting a run on in the second half of the year.

Definitely not going into HENNY PENNY mode after 3 rounds!!!

tigerman said:
Balmey leaving the tribunal was asked about the treatment Dusty has been getting said that Dusty needs to deal with it. The bit i liked was he said we need to help him. I hope by that he means that Towner or Caddy is going to fly the flag, which is what all of the Richmond players should have been doing.

I was disappointed in the lack of support Dusty got from his teammates, Jimmy Bartel knows what needs to be down and i'm sure Balmey does too.

“Team mates need to help him around the contest, block for him, throw a few shepherds, maybe give him the odd cheap stat around the back which gets players going,”

https://www.sportsradio.com.au/hes-not-out-of-form-but-hes-not-in-dustin-martin-form-jimmy-bartel/

blx said:
ATM I'd rather see positive ball movement with errors than negative ball movement with errors.

Reckon we were positive on Saturday. Some have said we're back to 2016, but there's no comparison. Players are having a go and making mistakes, and there will be more of the same this week.

We were the third-youngest side of the round.

AvAge Cb Diff R
-----------------
24.02 GC -0.26 W
24.29 WB +0.26 L
24.36 Ri -1.31 L
24.55 St -0.29 L
24.77 Me -0.53 L
24.79 Ca -0.09 L
24.85 Fr +0.29 W
24.88 Sy +0.09 W
25.14 Br -0.05 W
25.18 PA +0.05 L
25.30 Es +0.53 W
25.67 GWS +1.31 W
25.73 Ha -0.10 W
25.84 NM +0.10 L
26.06 Ge -0.24 W
26.24 Co -0.04 L
26.27 WC +0.04 W
26.29 Ad +0.23 L

24.36 is hardly a team of babies, and a certain level of competence and competitiveness should be expected. But the fact is that we were the only team at a significant development disadvantage for the weekend, and I don't see a lot changing against Port.