What is the greatest draft pick ever in the history of the world? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

What is the greatest draft pick ever in the history of the world?

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
A discussion on the main board about how to assess draft picks got me thinking. What is a good draft pick? What is the best ever draft pick?

What do you think is the greatest draft pick ever? No rules, use your own criteria. Do the greatest ever, do a top 5, do whatever you want. It could be just the best player, eg Dusty, could be a star taken at a low pick, it could be Bakes etc etc. Would you dismiss a pick because it was just dumb luck? And elevate a pick because it was inspired?

Only rule is you have to explain your reasoning.

First thought was Nathan Fyfe, but I'll think on it.

pete and tys

Tiger Superstar
Feb 19, 2009
My pick would be Michael Jordan.
Pick 3 ..Bulls tried to trade out of this pick for two other players but failed.
Arguably the best basketball player ever.

Reactions: 2 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Pick 79 for James Hird.
Love him or hate him, that’s a bona fide bargain
Carried his team over the line on too many occasions to remember

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Brent Harvey - pick 47, Adam Goodes - pick 43, Simon Black - pick 31 and Sam Mitchell - pick 36 were all good but the best ever in my view was:

Chris Grant - pick 105

The games record holder and 4 Brownlow Medalists - albiet Grant got robbed of his.

Reactions: 1 user

yo_eddy

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 18, 2023
Dane Swan not bad value at pick 58. Likewise Ashley McIntosh (112) and Dean Kemp (117).

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Pick 2 Trent Cotchin, not sure we win the 3 flags without him, because as captain the Chimp changed our culture.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users

houstontiger

Tiger Rookie
May 26, 2014
My pick would be Michael Jordan.
Pick 3 ..Bulls tried to trade out of this pick for two other players but failed.
Arguably the best basketball player ever.
Yep.

Goat of the AFL - Dustin Martin (pick 3)
Goat of the NBA - Michael Jordan (Pick 3)
Goat of the NFL - Tom Brady (Pick 199) !!!

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
For me, I've eliminated any pick pre 2000 for the reason it was more of a raffle back then, totally arbitrary I know and some doozy examples already given, I'd add Adam Goodes pick 43 1997. Also eliminated any player whose career hasn't played out yet, Bakes, Shai and any number of other players, could turn out to be one of the best. Also eliminated any top 10 pick because by definition they should be good.

A few that jumped out at me:

Jack Riewoldt 13 2006. Record speaks for itself, but also it was an inspired pick. We valued him more than most, and we were right.
Alex Rance 18 2007. Fell into our lap, and we jumped on him.
Nathan Fyfe, 20 2009. A colossus outside the first round.
Michael Walters 53 2008. A gun with a junk pick.
Lachie Neale 58 2011. Always been a fan, thought he was a tad over rated as being in the top echelon until the EF last year, but objectively, regardless of what I think, a star with a junk pick.

Interesting Freo features strongly.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users