What is the greatest draft pick ever in the history of the world? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

What is the greatest draft pick ever in the history of the world?

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Was it the same bush that Cox was hiding behind?

I think Bush's were still around in that time so potentially.

For the record Kemp was hidden in Kalgoorlie. Cox was hidden in Port Headland, I think.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 user

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Pick 3, National draft, 2023.
GWS (traded from RFC for Hopper 2022)

• Haha

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Pick 13 has to be close to the best draft pick in history - we need more pick 13s.

Andrew McKay
Jack Riewoldt
Shane Crawford
Nick Dalsanto
Robert Murphy
Patrick Cripps (1 pick after Ben Lennon!)
Taylor Adams
Will Day

Then of course there is one outlier - Corey Ellis!

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Buddy Franklin at #5 still hurts. I wonder what Bling is doing these days.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
How about Pick 3 Trent Croad. Traded to Freo for picks 1 and 36. Which became Hodge and Mitchell. And Croad was back after 2 years.
One pick becomes 3 champions

Not a draft pick but the underage traded signing of Andrew Mcleod. Wins 2 norm smith medals.

But as we are here to win premierships its the 3 Normies that sway it. Dusty

Reactions: 2 users

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
Cox, a rookie that unquestionably ends up in the top 10 ever in the history of the game for his position.
Changed the expectations (modern) of what a ruck could do. Combination of good drafting and player development.
Any pick can look like a failure if the development let's things down.

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Cox, a rookie that unquestionably ends up in the top 10 ever in the history of the game for his position.
This was a time when West Coast could routinely hide players from view, Cox was a legend however, closest thing today is Tim English who started his football career as a midfielder.

If we're talking modern times, excluding Grant, Hird, Cox, Sandilands etc. then I would nominate Lachie Neale, pick 58, short & without explosive pace, that was a visionary selection. Honourable mention to Rory Laird (pick 5 rookie).

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
1. 2009 pick 1 tom scully
2. 2009 pick 2 jackson trengove
3. 2007 pick 1 matthew kruiser
4. 2006 pick 13 jack reiwoldt
5. 2016 pick 29 $hai bolton

• Love

BrummieTiger

Tiger Cub
Jun 28, 2019
I have pondered this question myself in the past and, at least as a Richmond fan, I keep coming back to pick 27 in the '87 draft. Changed the course of our club and glad he's ours.

Reactions: 3 users

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
I have pondered this question myself in the past and, at least as a Richmond fan, I keep coming back to pick 27 in the '87 draft. Changed the course of our club and glad he's ours.
I think we tend to forget what a crapshoot the draft was back in those days, the top 20 looks like a Greek tragedy on steroids. Only three players past 100 games, Graham Wright (201), Chris McDermott (117) & Andrew Jarman (110). Ten of those players failed to register 10 games of AFL football & eight didn't even scrape in a debut. That year was also notorious for the beer swilling number 1 pick, only 4 games and arguably the worst performed number 1 in AFL history. But yeah, Benny was a gem, a diamond in the rough with very dicey kicking technique. Once he moved on the ball everything seemed to click, the rest is history and good history at that.