What should happen this week. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

What should happen this week.

crackertiger

Swan street 2017
Jan 4, 2003
melbourne
If I was on the selection panel I'd make the following changes.

We have a strong back line with Kellaway, Chaffey, Newman, Zantuck, *smile*, and a few others chipping in at times.

But our forward line sucks! We have only got two reasonable forwards at the moment being Krakouer and Richardson. The problem is that they are so easy to cover as Richardson is double teamed at times and so is Krakouer who only stands at 174cm. Houlihan is average at the best of times, bowden is needed in the midfield, and Cameron is just too slow (sorry old fellow). Our other forward options are injured.

So we need another way to kick goals.

My answer = ZANTUCK.

Why? because I believe we can cover him with the likes of Hilton who can step up or Vardy if we need someone taller. Zantuck is strong, 187cm, fast, and was a natural forward as a junior. Most importantly he will give a great physical presence and bust open packs which may just open the door for Krakouer or Rodan to pick up the crumbs.

comments please.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
If the midfield would get the ball into the 50 more often and with better delivery our forward line would instantly look a lot better.

I like the idea of an settled backline. They are the mainstay of the team imo.

Pull ya fingers out Tiger midfield!

I do think we need a chf in a hurry though. We fall down there too often when Richo has the freedom to run around at will.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Zantuck could be an option, but I don't think Frawely is creative enough to go with it.

If we really really must play Rogers in the team (something I'm against) can we please play him in the forward line. OK - I'll say something positive about hand grenade - he's a good lead, a good mark and a good kick at goal. When he was OK for us it was ONLY in the forward line. Danny - remember 2000.

diggler

The Tigers Spine
Dec 18, 2002
Someone to make a statement in the first 5 minutes and shirtfront McCartney. That will farck em!

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
What really shocked me on the weekend was that Brereton stated that Torney was averaging over 20 possession a game with the crows and I think that is indicative of the fact that we lack imagination in positioning players.

Anyone know what TORNEYS possession rate was with the Tigers. i would doubt that it was any where near 20. Not knocking Torney here, but think we could be a little more imaginative in discovering our own talent.

JohnF

LMFAOOO
Mar 29, 2003
Crackertiger, I think putting Zantuck up forward would be a pretty good idea. If they insist of playing Rory Hilton, then maybe they could rejuvinate him by putting him in the backline to take Zantuck's spot. Also i think we should leave David Rodan in the forward line. As yet (if ever) it doesnt look like he is going to get enough of the ball to justify a spot in the midfield. I'd like to see him snare a few goals for us and terrorise the oppositiosn backmen. Rogers is another option up forward that could work. Leave the tagging of first year players to someone else.

I wouldn't mind seeing this line up this week:

FB: Newman Gaspar Chaffey
HB: Hilton Kellaway Tivendale
C: Fiora Coughlan Fleming
HF: Zantuck Richardson Krakouer
FF: Rodan Hall Rogers
Foll: Stafford Johnson Bowden

Int: Cameron (Vardy, Houlihan, King, Biddiscombe, Pettifer makes no difference).

dimmauchamp

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2003
just had to comment!!! Gusttiger you got it!!! But dont you dare bad mouth our SPUD!!!! Torney goes to a club with a decent coach and gets played in possies frawley dont even know about!!! Becomes a star!!!!

Enough said

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
gustiger12 said:
What really shocked me on the weekend was that Brereton stated that Torney was averaging over 20 possession a game with the crows and I think that is indicative of the fact that we lack imagination in positioning players.

Anyone know what TORNEYS possession rate was with the Tigers. i would doubt that it was any where near 20. Not knocking Torney here, but think we could be a little more imaginative in discovering our own talent.

While at Richmond, Torney averaged 11.5 possessions a game

His average at Adelaide is only 13.7 possessions. But from what I've seen I think he's playing better footy.

JohnF

LMFAOOO
Mar 29, 2003
Torney, whilst slow to establish himself, did pretty well from 2000-02 for the Tiges. Other than that 28 posession game for the crows I dont think he has shown anything beyond what he has shown at Richmond in those 3 years. (He has shown that he can play in different positions but i mean he hasn't gone up a notch since leaving Richmond).

Anyone interested in his stats can have a look at the link below

http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/players/J/Jason_Torney.html

Dean3

Older than I've ever been
Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
That's disappointing, but may be a blessing in disguise. Another week on the track might make him cherry ripe for the Carlton game.

T

tiga chikk

You've hit the nail on the head with Zantuck, CT. i know he wasn't probably supposed to be there last week and was only there for a second but he kicked one last week and to me looked comfortable standing in the forward line with the likes of Richardson and Krakouer.

But Zantuck is good in defence him and Newman make a good team there, so all in all its the fact that they are caught between a rock and a hard place

johnson2richo2003

"Players stop improving is the day i leave."
Dec 19, 2002
zantuck in the fwd line? :eek: what game was it last year?against the dogs i think he made richo look sensational at shooting at goal.

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
Our forward line sucked because our delivery or lack of it sucked. Very hard to lead and find space when upfield your teammates are stuffing around with the ball and unnecessarily handballing it off to each other until they are shut down and bomb it blindly in the direction of Richo near the boundary. We had no run and wewere diabolical in moving the ball on. Stop, start, stop, start play :mad:. Wouldn't have mattered who we had up forward. Only hard running through the midfield and quick delivery can free up the forwards so space is created for them to lead into and they become an option for those upfield. The name of the game is options, options and more options.