What to do about the conspiracy theory problem? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

What to do about the conspiracy theory problem?

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
You're mates with lambswool?
I was just posting on another thread about the benefit of footballers having a big arse, and it made me think of Lambsy ( I hope he is ok) and his view on the treatment of McBean.
Perhaps those were his first steps down the rabbit hole.

gold1

Tiger Champion
Feb 24, 2008
You appeared to suggest humans weren't impacting the climate, but then suggested how we could best reduce that impact?
Sorry the general of this thread has sternly asked me to move my thoughts elsewhere.Should you wish to discuss further in a civil manner by all means PM me.No pressure.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Still not clear. You stated categorically that "There have been plenty of so called crackpot ideas that have turned out to be true or useful for that matter"

I'm asking for some specific examples of the plenty you are referring too so I can see for myself whether they fall into the "conspiracy" bucket we're discussing here.

There have been beliefs of what is/was/could/couldn't, but science and/or achieving them changed peoples beliefs. But of the examples you gave I can't see any that fit into the conspiracy bucket that Anti-Vax, 5G, etc tin foil hat type conspiracies we're talking about here.

AFL hates the Tigers is simply fact with plenty of solid evidence to back it up.

Nothing then @gold1 ? Do you still stand by your statement or prepared to back away from it?

If you're wondering why I am pushing this, "plenty", "everyone", "all the time", "every time" are very commonly used by conspiracy theorists to give their conspiracy theories more weight.

gold1

Tiger Champion
Feb 24, 2008
Nothing then @gold1 ? Do you still stand by your statement or prepared to back away from it?

If you're wondering why I am pushing this, "plenty", "everyone", "all the time", "every time" are very commonly used by conspiracy theorists to give their conspiracy theories more weight.
Read my previous email.

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
Considering I was told in no uncertain terms that this thread wasn’t about actual conspiracy theories, there’s been a lot of talk about actual conspiracy theories.

Reactions: 1 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
I was just posting on another thread about the benefit of footballers having a big arse, and it made me think of Lambsy ( I hope he is ok) and his view on the treatment of McBean.
Perhaps those were his first steps down the rabbit hole.
He's a good man. Just got a bit excited on some early Ivermectin results in an Indian state.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
Considering I was told in no uncertain terms that this thread wasn’t about actual conspiracy theories, there’s been a lot of talk about actual conspiracy theories.
Which despite the request by the thread originator, were brought up by 2 posters. Who now end up playing the victim.

gold1

Tiger Champion
Feb 24, 2008
OK. I guess that's a slightly better response than "do your own research"
Seriously what do want? Agreement with your mindset?An apology for even daring to enter your domain?And IF MD Jazz is referring to me playing the victim he/she/it is way off the mark.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Seriously what do want? Agreement with your mindset?An apology for even daring to enter your domain?And IF MD Jazz is referring to me playing the victim he/she/it is way off the mark.

What I want? I've asked at least 3 times and that's for you to add some substance to the throw away "There have been plenty of so called crackpot ideas that have turned out to be true or useful for that matter" statement.

It's ok, I'll go do my own research

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
Which despite the request by the thread originator, were brought up by 2 posters. Who now end up playing the victim.
I don’t understand your point. I raised an opinion about why people might become what could be considered a conspiracy theorist (and gave an example to support it), got shot down by you and Tigersnake, was told I didn’t understand the OP and to basically *smile* off, which I kindly did, yet now we have continued posting about climate change, JFK, etc, etc.. Am I missing something, or is it personal…?

gold1

Tiger Champion
Feb 24, 2008
What I want? I've asked at least 3 times and that's for you to add some substance to the throw away "There have been plenty of so called crackpot ideas that have turned out to be true or useful for that matter" statement.

It's ok, I'll go do my own research
Look crackpot ideas I have given examples of.I also said that crackpot ideas are not necessarily linked to conspiracy theories.If you care to go over my emails on this thread knock yourself out. If you wish to discuss further in a mild manner just PM me.Remember I stumbled into this thread probably three emails down from the the start and have copped it since.And no not playing the victim card!

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
Of course I am. And you are.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Are these examples of conspiracy theories?

Good question - and the answer is no.

Scepticism and critical thinking are good, jumping on bizarre theories that generally tie into old anti-Jewish Protocols of the Elders of Zion if you look at them hard enough is not.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Ok.Given that you are chasing conspiracy theory relevance according to an earlier post one can only assume they were taken as a conspiracy theory in the first place.
Some here would agree that the AFL has a conspiracy against the Tiges!
Named crackpot ideas over time have been plenty.The Wright brothers and airflight.Kennedy and the moon landing.Driving cars over 25mph which some eminent scientists said would peel the skin off the driver's face.Building a lighthouse in the middle of the North Sea on a rock with only a two hour window of opportunity to work.And need I go on? Were those conspiracy theories?Or just crackpot ideas that if the mountain of opposition and disparagement for even the thought of such a thing would never have gotten to fruition.This is why I say question but do not be blinkered by your own thoughts.

None of these were "conspiracy theories".

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
And was too cowardly to face the music when all the evidence came in. Very disappointing lamby.
From memory that Ivermectin "trials" that should have continued according to the pro-Ivermectin groups, fell into a conspiracy grouping that I gave before.

The reason they gave for lack of investment was because THEY (in this case big Pharma) didn't want to spend the money on the studies as they wouldn't then be able to spend money on research and on higher price drugs, yet it was THEY (in this instance the scientists) that didn't really push for it, you'd suspect because they knew that Ivermectin wasn't going to have the desired effect, but it all still falls into the THET camp, than someone out there was trying to control you for their own seedy benefits.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
I don’t understand your point. I raised an opinion about why people might become what could be considered a conspiracy theorist (and gave an example to support it), got shot down by you and Tigersnake
It was shot down because it was typical consp theory stuff. Inaccurate & selective.