Where the hell is our game now? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Where the hell is our game now?

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I'm with Clarko - pay holding the damn ball.
I'm with Dal - increase the distance for a mark. 11.6m kicks are being paid. Umpires are giving the benefit to the short side, it should be the other way around - if in doubt, call play on.
I like Montagna's idea too.
Garry Lyon mentioned what I've been saying for years - call a ball up sooner, and throw the ball up immediately, without waiting for ruckmen and six others to get there. Whoever's there can contest, the object after all is to get the ball moving again. *Oh, it'll mean the death of ruckmen!* Who gives a *smile*. The good ones will adapt, the dinosaurs will get what comes to dinosaurs.

And recruit footballers to be umpires.

Agree 100%, particularly on a quick ballup

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I'm with Dal - increase the distance for a mark. 11.6m kicks are being paid. Umpires are giving the benefit to the short side, it should be the other way around - if in doubt, call play on.
Garry Lyon mentioned what I've been saying for years - call a ball up sooner, and throw the ball up immediately, without waiting for ruckmen and six others to get there. Whoever's there can contest, the object after all is to get the ball moving again. *Oh, it'll mean the death of ruckmen!* Who gives a *smile*. The good ones will adapt, the dinosaurs will get what comes to dinosaurs.

Yep, before fiddling around with the rules why don't they actually adjudicate the game according to the rules.

Way too many short kicks are paid as being marked. We don't need to change this to 20 metres, we just need the umpires to stop paying marks for very short kicks, and err on the side of not paying the mark for short kicks - no mark unless it is clearly 15 metres.

Ball ups are a farce, they don't even need to bounce it any more, what's the problem? Toss it in the air ya tossers.

Pay holding the ball and holding the man: if a player incorrectly disposed of the ball when tackled, they get pinged, if a player is held before they take possession they get a free. This used to be possible.

One issue I have is the AFL's goal to reduce the number of free kicks given, this means umpires don't pay all the frees they see. This is an assured formula for massive inconsistency.

DS

Reactions: 2 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
They should immediately bin anything Robinson says. He’s the kind of bloke who will give a rule change a week to work, decide it doesn’t on the evidence of one game that he didn’t like and demand that they change it for something else. King’s another bloke to ignore.

Reactions: 3 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Yep, before fiddling around with the rules why don't they actually adjudicate the game according to the rules.

Way too many short kicks are paid as being marked. We don't need to change this to 20 metres, we just need the umpires to stop paying marks for very short kicks, and err on the side of not paying the mark for short kicks - no mark unless it is clearly 15 metres.

Ball ups are a farce, they don't even need to bounce it any more, what's the problem? Toss it in the air ya tossers.

Pay holding the ball and holding the man: if a player incorrectly disposed of the ball when tackled, they get pinged, if a player is held before they take possession they get a free. This used to be possible.

One issue I have is the AFL's goal to reduce the number of free kicks given, this means umpires don't pay all the frees they see. This is an assured formula for massive inconsistency.

DS

Spot on.
The umpires are causing 99% of the problems.
Footscary's 9 metre passes.
Umpires waiting for Grundy to get to the stopage.
Calling play on when Anderson thinks he is dusty.
Castagna each and every week has his head ripped off or getting held back but he is never paid a free, considering the soft one's that Miers, Brown and Cameron get.
Lets get umpires that actually umpire the game correctly.
Bring back johnny Russo and Cameron

Reactions: 1 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Spot on.
Castagna each and every week has his head ripped off or getting held back but he is never paid a free, considering the soft one's that Miers, Brown and Cameron get.

And Rowan Sawers and the great Glen James

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
Spot on.
For me the a number of regular umpires have too high opinion of themselves and umpire the game according to their particular view of the rules instead of the actual rules. Time much of the old guard to moved on and replaced with umpires who see the game with objectivity and through the eyes of a supporter

Reactions: 2 users

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
This is like when we were 5 & you'd go to a friends place to play cricket & before play you'd discuss the rules, garden on the full is out, grass on the full is out. The media had a crack at this 18 mths ago & they screwed it up terribly. Time to give the fans a crack at it.

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
Round 3 & 4 average score * 1.25 = 74.3 (* 1.25 to extrapolate from 16 minute quarters to 20 minutes)

Lowest scoring in consecutive rounds since 1989 R12 & 13

Looks like the extra energy from short quarters is going into defence.

Seems like a few coaches figure out quickly that short quarters would limit the ability to score late in quarters. Score quickly then defend hard. Simple, effective and absolutely terrible to watch. Not to mention hurts our game more than most.

Reactions: 1 user

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria

DS

Well said SSS.

Throwing the ball is another gripe of mine. Dogs, Pies are exponents of that and some others. Not hand balling the ball correctly. Half a throw, half a hand ball.

The rules are there.
Adjudicate them and all will be ok and Clarko and sooky Scott can be quiet.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Well said SSS.

Throwing the ball is another gripe of mine. Dogs, Pies are exponents of that and some others. Not hand balling the ball correctly. Half a throw, half a hand ball.

The rules are there.
Adjudicate them and all will be ok and Clarko and sooky Scott can be quiet.

Ooh yes, the chucking is rampant.

DS

• Angry

Tazzytiger

Tiger Cub
Mar 1, 2008

All good except for the last part. They made an ex footballer head of football operations and look how that ended up

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
The fiddling with the rules and interpretations makes it harder for the umpires to effectively administer as well.

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
The fiddling with the rules and interpretations makes it harder for the umpires to effectively administer as well.

Catch-22 then
Coz if nothing is done then the game will continually evolve in the direction that it is now
Personally I want to see less congestion and more free flowing footy but It ain’t gonna happen by itself

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Personally I want to see less congestion and more free flowing footy but It ain’t gonna happen by itself

The only way to do it is to get rid of coaches and gameplans, and just let the players play. If that sounds like book-burning then yeah, that's what it is.

Entertainment and professionalism are competing interests and due to the money involved, professionalism always wins. The public has adapted to this and looks for its players to do the disciplined team things, while still savouring the ever-more-rare highlights. It's all about getting the W.

Not necessarily advocating it, but perhaps it would be better for the long-term health of the game if the AFL went broke and we returned to what we had?

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
You need to incentivise the coaches to open up the game.

So the answer is simple - get rid of the against column on the ladder.

• Wow

tigermike

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2014

Agree with all this and if teams want a ruckman to contest the ball-ups then have two ruckmen on the ground to cover each half of the ground like it used to be 20+ years ago. No waiting for players to signal who's going up and please pay holding the ball sooner and incorrect disposal immediately.
Also we should acknowledge the modern players are recruited and trained to be fitter and faster than previous generations therefore we don't need 18 players to cover the ground like we did 100 years ago. 16 a side is definitely worth testing and has been suggested quite often. Remove 18 a side on the ground from the game's untouchable criteria.
Distance for a mark to be 20m and kick backwards is play on except in your own fwd 50.

Last edited:

blx

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2004
Melbourne
Enter Media Tycoon to poach players into a 10 a side, 4x10 min kick and hope bonanza.

10/10/10

tigermike

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2014
You need to incentivise the coaches to open up the game.

So the answer is simple - get rid of the against column on the ladder.
So that would remove the % column too. How do you separate teams on equal pts at season's end?.