Cotch and that bump - media and opposition supporters still sooking | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cotch and that bump - media and opposition supporters still sooking

Tass

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 3, 2005
I see Essendon used the ‘Cotchin’ case in their appeal for Shiel....and failed :rotfl1

Cotch was going for the footy; Shiel went straight past the ball and hit his opponent in the head. Pretty straight forward

Reactions: 9 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Yeah noticed blobbo bring up the cotchin bump also

The only similarities is that shiel was involved in both

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
Look at it this way. They used to live in a world of constancy. Up was up, down was down, God was in his heaven, the Devil lurked in the shadows and Richmond was always good for a cheap laugh. Life was good for the haters. They had it all figured out.

Then the golden September of 2017 happened and everything changed. First Dusty don’t-argued a Geelong nobody and a week later, Cotch propelled his team into a Grand Final. Finally, Dusty, Bachar, Rance and Shedda shattered the last line of defence, flushing Adelaide down history’s toilet. The world changed, the genie had escaped from the lamp!

No more Richmondy, no more ninth jokes, no more eat-their-own tut-tutting, no more smarmy pretend-sympathy, nothing! All gone. They have had to adapt to a new world order.

Just when they think they are over it all and are finally on the road to recovery, something like this happens. Shiel does a reverse Cotch and gets no sympathy at the tribunal. Man, that sucks.

I think they are sad again.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 25 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
I mean seriously it staggering that the Dons used that footage as an example. That 2017 Prelim footage had little relevance to the recent incident & was 3 years ago! What did they think would happen..

There's definitely sections of the industry that look to pull Cotch down at every opportunity.

So much jealousy out there for an absolute champion & gentleman of the game that's achieved so much.

No matter bow much they cry though they'll never change the facts he's a two time Premiership winning Richmond captain & Brownlow medalist.
Put that in your pipe & smoke it.:cool:

Reactions: 11 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
When we were *smile* for so long and hadn't won a final in 15 years, I wonder if we were seen as deluded and irrelevant as we see the Dons supporters today.

Reactions: 2 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
When we were *smile* for so long and hadn't won a final in 15 years, I wonder if we were seen as deluded and irrelevant as we see the Dons supporters today.
Possibly, but we sure would not have been seen to be self entitled like Essendon fans are.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
I think if he played for the tigers we would be whingeing. High impact? Arguable given not many are considered high impact. IMO Ebert's was much worse and he was assessed as only medium impact - he was simply lucky with the outcome. Ultimately Shiel ran past the ball to bump and collected him in the head so probably deserves 2.

Cotchin wasfortunate/lucky, we all know that , but that is how tribunals have generally worked for eons come finals.

The MRO is a farce, you just hope when they spin the wheel it ends up stopping in the right slot.

Reactions: 3 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
I mean seriously it staggering that the Dons used that footage as an example. That 2017 Prelim footage had little relevance to the recent incident & was 3 years ago! What did they think would happen..
There's definitely sections of the industry that look to pull Cotch down at every opportunity.
So much jealousy out there for an absolute champion & gentleman of the game that's achieved so much.
No matter bow much they cry though they'll never change the facts he's a two time Premiership winning Richmond captain & Brownlow medalist.
Put that in your pipe & smoke it.:cool:
Essendon want to know if they do this will it enhance their performance?

• Haha

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
1 thing i know for sure, they don't like copping the treatment they gave us.

Reactions: 1 user

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Geez you wouldn't want Essendon's defence team in court with you.
If they honestly believe the Cotchin bump and the Shield bump are similiar they should shouldve just shown the Voss bump on Richardson and used that as the precedent.

Reactions: 1 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
99% of the Media that week were praying that Cotchin missed the GF.
That's the hatred towards us is huge.
Yes Cotchin hit Sheilds head but Cotchin's hands are near the ball.
Shield wasn't even looking where the ball was and made the kid his prime target not the ball.

eddazol

Tiger Superstar
Sep 22, 2014
Shiel had his girlfriends dad Mark Choco Williams as a character reference

Reactions: 1 user

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
Let the media & social media warriors complain. Nothing will ever change my mind that Cotchin fiercely attacked the ball in the contest with Shiel & that any resultant head contact was incidental to that act. If we take attacking the ball in a contest out of the game, we might as well make it totally non contact.

Reactions: 5 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Let the media & social media warriors complain. Nothing will ever change my mind that Cotchin fiercely attacked the ball in the contest with Shiel & that any resultant head contact was incidental to that act. If we take attacking the ball in a contest out of the game, we might as well make it totally non contact.

People don't see, one player is commited to the ball while the other is reluctant and hesitates to drive towards the ball.
Cotchin was a cannon ball, while sheild was like a ping pong ball at that contest.

Reactions: 1 users

tigermike

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2014
Yep, and here is the moment of impact, incidental contact exactly. Cotch has his hands on the ball and so does Shiel so what are Robbo and the others looking at? Nothing like what Shiel did last weekend.

Attachments

• Cotch v Shiel.jpg
    Cotch v Shiel.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 24
Reactions: 3 users

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
The only thing about the Cotchin one i'd change is to switch it to the last 5 mins of the game so we don't have to listen to Basil hanging him for the entire game when i watch it back. That call was disgraceful to say the very least!

Reactions: 5 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Cotchin wasfortunate/lucky, we all know that

I could not disagree more. Cotchin was going for the ball and contact was incidental. There have been so many worse off the ball incidents with contact to the head that have gone unpunished in the last few years. I reckon Cunnington whacked blokes off the ball 3 weeks in a row last year and never got rubbed out. Even Selwood this week; it wasn't off the ball but he still belted a bloke in possession of the ball in the head. Nothing to see hear.

That said I am in full agreement with your views on the MRO overall.

Reactions: 4 users