Which team wins this theoretical Premiership? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Which team wins this theoretical Premiership?

Which team wins this theoretical Premiership?

• Collingwood 2023

• 17 Daniel Riolis, 3 peak Tom Lynches and 3 peak Dylan Grimeses

• 23 Daniel Riolis

• 23 Trent Cotchins

Results are only viewable after voting.

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
I’ve been thinking about how many Daniel Riolis you can fit into a premiership team.

I reckon seventeen of 23. But you need three elite talls. And three elite semi talls. I’m thinking three Tom J Lynches and three Dylan Grimeses. Maybe three Brayden Maynards given that Grimes might be GONE.

As a stock type Daniel Rioli is the prefect footballer imo.

BTW I don’t think Daniel is a midfielder as such. I just think a side full of The Prince is supreme on the outside and that is enough.

You win the outnumber all game. Win the outnumber - win the game. See Collingwood 2023. Or many Richmond sides.

The outnumber.
I think you're overcomplicating things.

23 Daniel Riolis beats any real AFL side.

If your bottom 6 players are Daniel Rioli, you've already won.

Don't forget that sometimes the premiership talls are Billy Frampton.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

theglove3

Tiger Champion
Jun 3, 2003
I’ve been thinking about how many Daniel Riolis you can fit into a premiership team.

Maybe three Brayden Maynards given that Grimes might be GONE.

Wouldn't work in the real world, Captain Blood.

Nice guy Brayden's "Football act" can only work in Carringbush gear!

He does the same thing in the dreaded Y & B garb, he automatically becomes villain and said Footballing act is now suspendable by City Hall.

Nice thought, though!

Just the one Prince is fine.

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004

Bottom six is a big deal, CT. I guess I was cheating a bit there. I went for the Tom J Lynches and Dylan Grimeses to make it a fait accompli.

But it's still a radical proposal - that you can win the premiership with seventeen half back flankers. Or 23. ;D

Could you win it with seventeen Shannon Hurns? Bachar Houlis? Nick Vlastuins? Um... (Who's that Sydney dud?) Jake Lloyds? How bout Dochertys?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
Bottom six is a big deal, CT. I guess I was cheating a bit there. I went for the Tom J Lynches and Dylan Grimeses to make it a fait accompli.

But it's still a radical proposal - that you can win the premiership with seventeen half back flankers. Or 23. ;D

Could you win it with seventeen Shannon Hurns? Bachar Houlis? Nick Vlastuins? Um... (Who's that Sydney dud?) Jake Lloyds? How bout Dochertys?
No to all of those.

But that's only because Rioli is better than all of those.

The question was posed on this forum sometime around 2012 about whether 22 Trent Cotchins would win a premiership. The answer is obviously yes, though there was a lot of debate at the time.

Given that Rioli has played more positions at an elite level (5 goals in a prelim? Best HB in the league? 3 time premiership pressure forward when it's not even his best position?) I'd say the answer is even more clearly yes.

A more interesting question is whether 22 Dan Riolis would beat 22 Trent Cotchins (2017 edition).

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
No to all of those.

But that's only because Rioli is better than all of those.

The question was posed on this forum sometime around 2012 about whether 22 Trent Cotchins would win a premiership. The answer is obviously yes, though there was a lot of debate at the time.

Given that Rioli has played more positions at an elite level (5 goals in a prelim? Best HB in the league? 3 time premiership pressure forward when it's not even his best position?) I'd say the answer is even more clearly yes.

A more interesting question is whether 22 Dan Riolis would beat 22 Trent Cotchins (2017 edition).
Not a chance. They wouldn't win the ball from the middle. They would barely win a contest after that. They could only pray the chimp got bored.

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004

I'm putting what I think will be considered at least a radical proposition, Ct - You can win the premiership with zero inside players.

Yours is more radical if I've got it right - You can win the premiership with zero inside players, zero rucks and zero talls. It' a beaut idea. I think it deserves its own thread. So I'll start one and move the relevant posts over.

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005

Just need Mickey to want to clean house with Daniel. IMG_1476.jpeg

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004

I reckon seventeen of 23. But you need three elite talls. And three elite semi talls. I’m thinking three Tom J Lynches and three Dylan Grimeses. Maybe three Brayden Maynards given that Grimes might be GONE.

BTW I don’t think Daniel is a midfielder as such. I just think a side full of The Prince is supreme on the outside and that is enough.

You win the outnumber all game. Win the outnumber - win the game. See Collingwood 2023. Or many Richmond sides.

The outnumber.

[I'll get the other posts on topic moved over. Meanwhile fire away!]

Stackey

Tiger Rookie
Jan 13, 2022
What nonsense, what about putting the braincells to work figuring out the best Dynasty Teams! And the ultimate AFL side from their players!

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
No problem

3 grimes and 3 Riolis in the back half
1 Lynch in the ruck and the other 2 up forward
4 Riolis up forward and the rest making up the on ball division and the bench
Clear winner

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

toothless

Tiger Champion
Aug 16, 2009
what about putting the braincells to work figuring out the best Dynasty Teams!
difficult exercise IMO. Personally can't split 'em.
And the ultimate AFL side from their players!
All premierships/corresponding seasons considered:
B: Astbury Rance Grimes
HB: Houli Vlastuin Short
C: McIntosh Prestia Ellis
HF: Castagna Martin Lambert
F: Riewoldt Lynch Rioli
FOLL: Nankervis, Edwards, Cotchin
INTER: Broad, Caddy, Baker, Bolton
EMERG: Graham, Pickett, Balta, Soldo

Individual player's careers:
B: Astbury Rance Grimes
HB: Houli Vlastuin Short
C: Grigg Prestia Ellis
HF: Lambert Martin Bolton
F: Riewoldt Lynch Rioli
FOLL: Nankervis, Edwards, Cotchin
INTER: Caddy, Baker, Broad, Graham
EMERG: McIntosh, Butler, Castagna, Balta

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
I'm surprised at the popularity of the RLG (RioliLynchGrimes) team.

It did not occur to me that PREnders would be so keen on a side with zero inside players.

Collingwood is already modelled to some degree on an RLG plan. McRae got by with only one inside player in his 2023 side. Tom Mitchell. Who played an incredible rolling defensive game. RLG fans might wonder if a Rioli would have been more useful. I do.

Alistair Clarkson is all over the RLG team. "We don't care if we win first possession."

How does the RLG team win a game? The outnumber. The Riolis get there in numbers because they are so quick. Inevitably there will be more more Riolis at contests. Likewise the Grimeses.

The Riolis and the Grimeses are supreme at pressure.

*But pressure became redundant with 666 or some other rule change.*

Craig McRae doesn't think so.

Back to theory. Because of superior pressure the RLGs force turnover and then with the inevitable outnumber run it up the other end for a soft tap in. There are three Riolis in the goalsquare by themselves. They start the game with ten or twelve straight goals while the other side readjusts its zone.

And now we're in an interesting place. Doesn't any coach worth two bob just play Ball Security against the RLGs?

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Coburgtiger has anticipated the issue of Ball Security -

And MD is fully on the side of First to the Ball need.

Not a chance. They wouldn't win the ball from the middle. They would barely win a contest after that. They could only pray the chimp got bored.

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
I'm surprised at the popularity of the RLG (RioliLynchGrimes) team.

It did not occur to me that PREnders would be so keen on a side with zero inside players.

Collingwood is already modelled to some degree on an RLG plan. McRae got by with only one inside player in his 2023 side. Tom Mitchell. Who played an incredible rolling defensive game. RLG fans might wonder if a Rioli would have been more useful. I do.

Alistair Clarkson is all over the RLG team. "We don't care if we win first possession."

How does the RLG team win a game? The outnumber. The Riolis get there in numbers because they are so quick. Inevitably there will be more more Riolis at contests. Likewise the Grimeses.

The Riolis and the Grimeses are supreme at pressure.

*But pressure became redundant with 666 or some other rule change.*

Craig McRae doesn't think so.

Back to theory. Because of superior pressure the RLGs force turnover and then with the inevitable outnumber run it up the other end for a soft tap in. There are three Riolis in the goalsquare by themselves. They start the game with ten or twelve straight goals while the other side readjusts its zone.

And now we're in an interesting place. Doesn't any coach worth two bob just play Ball Security against the RLGs?
You could probably sacrifice a few Riolis to severe head injuries on the inside swarming the contest. The Cochins are more durable but not as twitchy.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
FMD. Why haven't we got any Dusty's in the side?????? Some bloody short memories around here. A Jaaack up front, a Tross down back, a Nank to do the nasty work and the rest can be Dusty's. Undefeated for 15 years.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Coburgtiger has anticipated the issue of Ball Security -

And MD is fully on the side of First to the Ball need.
2017 was no slow coach. Think he can could on the ground with the prince and clearly does him in the air and at the contest.

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
2017 was no slow coach. Think he can could on the ground with the prince and clearly does him in the air and at the contest.
If there are only two types players on the field, and it's Daniel and Cotchy, then Cotch might as well be walking through treacle, 2017 or otherwise.

Daniel is lightning, and Cotch would be chasing a lot of tail while finding himself in trouble with the ball.

The Daniels wouldn't see the ball before it came to the outside, but then it gets interesting.

Daniel's played both ends of the ground better than Cotch. Is faster both defensively and offensively.

Can lock down, run the ball, pressure, all better than Cotch. Has kicked five goals in a prelim, is a sharper natural goal kicker, better set shot.

Cotch wins most, if not all, Aerial contests and every clearance.

Which is more important in the Granny?

My tip is on the Daniels.

Last edited:

tigertime2

Our cup runneth over!
Mar 22, 2008
100% Cotchins win. The centre bounce would be a Cotch fest. I doubt the rioli's would be still on the park after 4 quarters against 18 Cotch's.