Who deserves last chance? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Who deserves last chance?

tigerland

Can u dig it.....SUCKA
May 12, 2003
Melb
People have been calling for a plethora of players to be delisted/traded at seasons end. Im just wondering who believes who should go and who has one last chance next year.
Heres the list:

Bowden Nicholls Hall
Vardey Fiora
Pettifer Rogers
DK Houlihan Dragga
Hilton Biddiscome Hyde
Richo Holland Cameron

(if ive missed anyone please add)

Bowden: if we trade anyone please let it be him, tough decisions must be made(for once). 4 pick 20ish
Hall: Give him (stricktly)1 more yr, still 22yo, rucks take a while to develop
Vardey: Keep him as backup, only cheap and does ok when hes in(cant get rid of to many in one yr)
Fiora: The tough one, il sit on the fence: THOUGHTS??
Pettifer: Deliste, wont get nothin for trade
Rogers: See Petfifer
DK: Retire pls
Houlihan: Delist
Dragga: Last chance next yr
Hilton: ???? ill say one more yr
Biddiscome: Delist
Hyde: Delist
Richo: Keep him.Why?: U tell me!!
Holland: Trade him if right deal comes along( 4 draft picks)
Cameron: Retire.
Fleming: Keep him for now
Nichols: 1yr left on contrack i think, that will be his last!!

This means:

9 changes on our list:
2 trades and 7 delist/retire
5-6 players on official last chance

Phase must be done slowley, cant change any more than 9 in one year. Please god we must rebuild our club, we have not had the BALLS to trade any big names for yrs, lets hope this changes now, its our only hope.

My fear is that our club officially believe were 1-2 quick fixes away from success: NEWSFLASH LOSERS were on our way down from here(Despite how much we love the club, you must all admit we are one of the most boring teams to watch!!)

Trading 2 big names will free up salery cap and give us some YOUNG draftees to develop.

Its All about BALLS BALLS BALLS!!!

Lets face it, its the only thing we havnt tried in 20 yrs and must try it now. It may give us 2-3 yrs of mediorocracy but this will give us even more good draft picks and i dont know bout you guys but I love watching young exciting players/teams on their way up(look at St.K and Freo).

Thoughts??

tigerland

Can u dig it.....SUCKA
May 12, 2003
Melb
Lets build the new eva around:

Ottens Coughlan
Johnson Rodan
Newman

Unfortunately thats all at the mo, but with my ideas im sure there will be way more on that wist in a cpl yrs!

I swear i wash i has 5 yrs in charge if the RFC(will some experiences helpers of course), ill do way better (no joke)

The Boss

Tiger Superstar
Apr 7, 2003
Tigerland - don't forget Mills, King and Bidders. They are 3 definate delistings.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Richo has to stay we are too small as it is.
We probably need to keep either Hall or Vardy for the above reasons.

Gone

Pettifer
Rogers
Mills
Houlihan
Hilton
Biddiscombe
Cameron
D. Kellaway
King
Hyde? Like to see him play the last 2 games.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Pettifer
Rogers
Mills
Houlihan
Hilton
Biddiscombe
Cameron
D.Kellaway
King

Gee when you look at the above list you couldn't see any of them getting a game with the Lions or Power.
Of course Cameron and D.K would of when they were young and fit.
It makes me even more depressed.

tigerland

Can u dig it.....SUCKA
May 12, 2003
Melb
yeah add king and mills to my delistings list. Geez that makes 11 changes in one year

It that to many?

tigerland

Can u dig it.....SUCKA
May 12, 2003
Melb
Sorry bout the double post but Tigerman, all those guys you mentioned to get rid of are worth nothing. You must also get rid of something to gain something. Thats why a couple bigger names must go.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
We have 14 possible delistings/retirements (what a disgrace)

-Duncan
-Cameron
-Rogers
-Bidders
-King
-Houlihan
-Petifer
-Nicholls
-Mills
-Fleming
-Hyde
-Dragga
-Vardy
-Hilton

Realistically (seing that we are 3 short as is) you could possibly delist 9-10. If I were in charge the players to go would be -

-Rogers
-Mills
-Bidscombe
-King
-Cameron
-Houlihan
-Duncan
-Vardy
- Petifer
- Nicholls

The players to get a last chance would be

-Fleming
-Hyde
-Hilton
-Dragga
(geez what a bunch of duds) the only thing going for these players is their age and toughness in the case of Fleming and Hilton.

Seeing that we have 36 on our list the above delisting would mean we'd have 26. Promote shir and Moore - 28. This means we need another 10 (max is 38). The draft would produce 6 players maximum if we don't trade for draft picks. Therefore we need to trade our better players for more than one draft pick in order to find 3-4 more picks.

Possible scenarios -

Trade Richo for round 1 and round 2/3 picks
Trade Bowden for round 2 and round 3/4 picks
Trade Holland for round 2 and round 3/4 picks
Trade Hall for round 3 and round 4/5 picks
Trade Fiora for round 3 and round 4/5 picks.

In order to fill up the list we need to stack up with draft picks.

Also we will need to utilise the preseason draft to get 1 or 2 more players.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Yeah Tigerland and Harry I agree that we really do need to trade and trade well.

With our lack of height we can't really afford to lose too many big guys though, unless we get a top notch replacement.

There's not a real lot of talls around at the moment.

Dean Cox, the ruckman from the eagle is a player that might be available. They have about 7 players over 196cm. We have 4 i think.
One of them Seaby is potentially as good as Gardiner they reckon.

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
Harry, the maximum number is 38 for the senior list and 6 for rookies.

DragicevicFan

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2002
Melbourne
Delist
King
Biddiscombe
Nicholls
Mills
Houlihan

Retire
D Kellaway
Cameron

That takes us back to 29

Promote Kelvin Moore

Then trade Richardson, Bowden and Holland for as many picks as we can get.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
If thats the case mighty - I've added petifer and Nicholls in the delisted category.

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
Harry said:
Realistically (seing that we are 3 short as is) you could possibly delist 9-10. If I were in charge the players to go would be -

-Rogers
Harry,

We cannot de-list Rogers as he contracted next season. If we de-list him the full value of his contract will need to be included in the salary cap as he would be required to be paid out in full under the terms of his contract.

Therefore, there appears to be 2 options:

1. He can retire

2. He remains and goes on the veterans - which means only part of his salary is included in the cap. Therefore, freeing up at least some $$$

I don't think he is tradeable so I haven't included that as option.

I am not saying that I like either option but that is the way it stands

tigerland

Can u dig it.....SUCKA
May 12, 2003
Melb
Im happy with the fact that most the supporters here believe we need to trade for the draft. Guess wheel find out soon if the club listenes to its supporters.

I dont really think we have a that bigger problem in the height category. I think our smalls or on ballers are still the main problem. Our biggest problem is that alot of our biggest names are talls and that we have to pay them more money than if they were midfielders, because talls are more scarce.

2001- Houlihan and Hudson
2002-Fleming(bloody Brittain!!!) and Nicholls
2003- I just cant wait to see :'( :-X

Probably Daniel Bandy and Aaron Lord

If we pick up Lord(prob will cause hes a forward pocket) I wont go to a game till hes delisted

Dean3

Older than I've ever been
Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
KL, I reckon there's a fair chance Buck will go for option 1. He's a Life Member now and doesn't strike me as the type to just hang around and pick up his cheque. Ditto Duncan and Cameron.

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
I belive height is a problem for us. We dont have enough talls as a backup for injury (ie that situation this year when Vardy had to ruck), and also lack of depth in talls mean they are not fighting for positions either. I think this is a big area of concern. We do haev some good ones but some depth wouldnt hurt to cover injuries etc.

Dean3

Older than I've ever been
Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
Height is one thing, but we need some MOBILE height. Most of our current talls eg, Stafford, Vardy, Holland, even Ottens and Hall aren't exactly what you'd call free-wheeling ruckmen/talls, so we get caned around the ground by the likes of Gardiner, Goodes, Brogan, Pavlich etc. Those guys are virtually tall midfielders and we lose out there.
Plus, of course we need another one or two Coughlans and some smart heads and good skills coming off half back a la Hodge/Lonie/whoever.

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
Dean3 said:
Height is one thing, but we need some MOBILE height. Most of our current talls eg, Stafford, Vardy, Holland, even Ottens and Hall aren't exactly what you'd call free-wheeling ruckmen/talls, so we get caned around the ground by the likes of Gardiner, Goodes, Brogan, Pavlich etc. Those guys are virtually tall midfielders and we lose out there.
Plus, of course we need another one or two Coughlans and some smart heads and good skills coming off half back a la Hodge/Lonie/whoever.

Well said Dean.

tigerland

Can u dig it.....SUCKA
May 12, 2003
Melb
Not just talls, we dont have enough anything to back up our players wether tall/short or forward/defender.

Still believe midfields the no 1 prob followed by med/tall forward in in stead of Holland who cant play on the ground.

From RFC Boardmemers Lines
None of that we need a small cruming forward crap! Pfft, thats the last thing we need