Who would u want to c recruited | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Who would u want to c recruited

If we could get any of these uncontracted players for our first draft choice, who would you choose

• Nick Stevens

Votes: 32 97.0%
  • Nathan Brown

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Luke Power

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Robert Murphy

• David Wirrapunda

• Keep the pick for the draft

• Total voters
Add one vote for Nick Stevens from Rodan#18. He can't post or vote himself at the moment because of some technical glitch which will hopefully be rectified next week.

Firstly this is only my opinion and I can't really back it up with any facts but here goes.

Players mentioned earlier would require a draft pick plus either another pick or a player. If Richmond were to get Murphy or Power we would be playing it safe by recruiting a proven player but we potentially lose 2 good players in return (draft pick or decent player eg Torney).

Its no secret that Richmond have depth problems but IMHO its much worse than most will admit. We have problems on every line and recruiting a couple of players here and there isn't going to fix it. We need a major influx of talent (20+ kids) over the next three years. Maybe only half those kids will be any good but those combined with Cogs, Newman, Rodan etc are our the new core group for the next 10+ years.

Recruiting an established player like Power or even Kayne Johnson should be left to clubs with a solid core but a few accute weaknesses (eg Collingwood). Not Richmond who have problems everywhere on their list and an aging core group who are mostly past their best (eg Campbell and Richo ).

I feel dirty for saying this but it looks like Campbell is past it due to injuries and although someone like Power might be an adequate replacement, we are still only left with 3 decent midfielders. Still no improvement in depth and we potentially lose 2 picks under 20.

In summary, get as many picks as we can over the next 3 years and draft the best players avaliable with each pick. If that means we end up with 15 midfielders then so be it. Once we have a decent core group then trade for what we need.

Hope that clarifies my position a bit and now let the flamming begin ;D

TigerFurious said:
Firstly this is only my opinion and I can't really back it up with any facts but here goes.

Thanks for your reply TF, appreciate it. :)

TigerFurious said:

Players mentioned earlier would require a draft pick plus either another pick or a player. If Richmond were to get Murphy or Power we would be playing it safe by recruiting a proven player but we potentially lose 2 good players in return (draft pick or decent player eg Torney).

Its no secret that Richmond have depth problems but IMHO its much worse than most will admit. We have problems on every line and recruiting a couple of players here and there isn't going to fix it. We need a major influx of talent (20+ kids) over the next three years. Maybe only half those kids will be any good but those combined with Cogs, Newman, Rodan etc are our the new core group for the next 10+ years.

Recruiting an established player like Power or even Kayne Johnson should be left to clubs with a solid core but a few accute weaknesses (eg Collingwood). Not Richmond who have problems everywhere on their list and an aging core group who are mostly past their best (eg Campbell and Richo ).

I feel dirty for saying this but it looks like Campbell is past it due to injuries and although someone like Power might be an adequate replacement, we are still only left with 3 decent midfielders. Still no improvement in depth and we potentially lose 2 picks under 20.

In summary, get as many picks as we can over the next 3 years and draft the best players avaliable with each pick. If that means we end up with 15 midfielders then so be it. Once we have a decent core group then trade for what we need.

TF ive been trying to say exactly what you have said for ages but have never been able to say it right. Ilook at what damien drum did at freo he cleaned out about 20 -25 players from their list and then recruited kids like pavlich haselby brown mcphee grover j longmuir polakhaddrill walkerall through the draft he also brought to the club players like bell carr cook wihthe players he got rid of they have built up depth and it has allowed connolly to trade for what they need ie simmonds mcpharlin headland if a dud club like freo can do it surely the rocket scientists at rfc can do it to Another example of the above is the colliwobbles a massive clean out draft lots of kids build some depth then trade for what we need i just hope we are smart enough to learn of these two clubs

Given what the draft has previously provided to Richmond over the past decade (there are too many duds to name), I am surprised at the amount of people that still think Richmond should not trade.

My brain is telling me that if we rely on the draft to get us out of our rut, there is a very strong likelihood the draft picks will amount to nothing (as per our prior year efforts) and we will be writing the same threads to each other in 2-3 years time!

I would have thought Richmond should be trading eagerly and hoping like hell there are players in the lower end of the draft that will be future champions (aka James Hird).

IMO - the draft is nothing more than a lottery. Dont pin your hopes on it!

I guess it boils down to confidence in our people to select the right talent. Based purely on reputation, I feel our choices will be better with Miller involved ( almost certainly not worse ). I went for draft a youngster due to salary cap reasons as much as anything. Attracting an established player usually costs more than retaining an existing player. If the right deal could be done in this respect as well, I'd happy to go for any of those players, Wirrpunda would be lowest on my list. Excellent for the WCE, but probably not what's best for us. We have an abundance of players with little accountability.

Interesting to see in Today's Herald Sun...
Luke Power is fourth in disposals (370), but tops the Lions Champion Data rankings. Only three of his 241 kicks have been clangers.
While
Joel Bowden has turned the ball over by foot 25 times, more than any other player in the AFL.
How bout a swap we'll give em Joel Bowden for Luke Power ;D

JohnF said:
How would people feel if we were to swap Richo for Power? I'd definitely go for it. I reckon Brisbane would be up for it too, seeing that Lynch will probably give it away soon.
Actually I wouldn't mind that either ;) Bit closer to home.

Who would I like to see us recruit? Michael Voss would be nice.