Who's been to a grand final? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Who's been to a grand final?

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
jackstar said:
If you can go MC 24, go, its a good experience.
Its all good fun. ;D
Partically when you watch two teams that can actually play.

You've talked me into it jackstar. I know what you mean about watching two teams that can play. Watching the finals series every season (even if it is on telly) always brings home just how far we have to go. It's fantastic to watch the best in action.

Hope we can be that good one day soon.

P.S.: TG, I'm not sure, but I don't think that's the right answer. Close though. Points for effort. ;)

g0tigers

carn the mighty tiges
Jun 16, 2003
Victoria, Australia
Been to 2 Wizard cup GFs do they count? (one of those tiges were involved in, shock horror :eek:) :rollin

Never been to a GF but i went to the Collingwood V Essendon anzac day game this yr, and im guessing the atmosphere at a granny would be like it was at that game, but bigger.

Life ambition - Go to a grand final ;D Preferbly a tiges one, but beggars cant be chosers ;)

sgloury

Tiger Superstar
Aug 9, 2003
Melbourne
Been to a few Grand Finals in the late 80s and early 90s when my old man was fotunate enough to get tickets.

Hadn't been to a Grand Final for a while until last year when I managed to score some tickets to both the Preliminary and the Grand Final late in the piece from a mate of mine who works at the AFL. Took my girlfriend along to both games (Collingwood supporter who takes an interest but doesn't attend many games). She made an interesting observation which I think is true.

She believed that while the atmosphere at the Grand Final was great there was even more atmosphere the week before at a packed Preliminary Final. The reason for this is that you get more diehard supporters that are able to access tickets to the Preliminary Final whereas in the Grand Final you get a much higher proportion of Corporates and impartial supporters. The diehard supporters as you would expect tend to be the loudest and there is normally more of them at a full Preliminary Final (based on last year anyway).

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
It speaks volumes about 1. how footy has changed in 20 years and 2. how bad Richmond have been in that time, that you can ask that question of a forum of Tiger fans in the same manner that you would ask "Has anyone ever been to Antarctica?".
I was born in 1963 and was lucky enough to go to every GF from 1972 to the first in 1977 and then every one from 1981 to 1989 - 15 in all. That was in an era when club members always had the option to get one. Been living OS since 1991 so I haven't done too bad. Don't ask me why I missed 1980 - just couldn't get a ticket - the downside of playing the Pies in the big one.
Interesting comments about the Prelim there. I agree and they are generally better games because in the GF there's so much pressure and one team always cracks.

Robbo24

I'm a llama!
Aug 21, 2003
Hate to big note but, here goes:

GFs attended - 80, 82, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02!

Best day of the year

Will be there in 2 weeks and promise to vomit on behalf of Tiges everywhere if Eddie's filth get up.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
89 between the hawks and the pussies, went with a bunch of geelong rello's. U19 prelim replay geelong and tiges we won by a point I think then beat north a week later in the G.F.
Ressies geelong/ royboys Ironmonger chased an onballer wingman from one pocket around the (southern stand side) to the other pocket and nailed him just before 3/4 time royboys came from six goals down and won.
seniors Dermie got killed/ Yablett kicked 9 and the Hawks won. Three magic games and Geelong lost them by a total of nine points.
Then some hawks fans that stood beside us all day dug a big bag of prawns out of the eskie and invited us to join in. If it gets any better I'm buggered if I know when!!