Why are oppo teams always 'in the game' against us? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Why are oppo teams always 'in the game' against us?

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
This is a question that has vexed me over the years, even through the halcyon, premiership-winning years.

Sure, we've belted some sides. But we are not Geelong from the late 80s, early 90s, routinely burying teams on the scoreboard.

Yes, the final winning margins of dozens of games 2017-2022 have been convincing, but as we all know they rarely come without being challenged or a hairy moment or two.

Why is this?

Why does a top team, a premiership-winning team, a team who knows how to get the job done, so often let the opposition back into the contest?

Why does Damien Hardwick talk so lovingly about turning games into 'arm wrestles'? And 'always being in the game'?

To be honest, it does my head in. 2022 has shown this pattern in its starkest form. Skip out to a strong lead then *smile* it away.

I don't have any definitive answers as to why this keeps happening. I thought I'd ask PRE, which harbors students of the game much sharper than I.

My theory? The turnover blueprint is great when the opposition is in *normal* transition mode. That is, the way they normally move the ball, they way they train and set up. We allow first use, preferably degraded, from stoppage and sweat on longish kicks to a favorable outnumber.

All well and good.

But when the oppo "raises the fight" due to scoreboard pressure, they grow more daring. More play-ons, more risk-taking. Importantly, the biggest A-grade mids all in stoppage to generate ball going their way.

I don't think our turnover game is particularly good at stopping kamikaze ball movement. For starters, our midfield has never been particularly big or adept at crushing teams at stoppage.

Further to this, I think our coaching staff are steadfastly resistant to making wholesale changes to our structure to adjust, as that removes our main avenue of scoring.

I believe this is a dilemma that has plagued us even through the good years. The answer? No *smile*' idea.

But it does my head in.

Reactions: 2 users
Same here Carts. Besides any media hype, every team no matter how bad (ala lolnorf) just lifts against us.

Reactions: 2 users
@Carter “Sure, we've belted some sides. But we are not Geelong from the late 80s, early 90s, routinely burying teams on the scoreboard”.

Simple answer…. no G Ablett snr.

Belting sides is one thing in H&A games. The Cats get carried away with themselves unless they have a no-nonsense coach(like Bomber became) so much so that even God couldn’t carry all the burden alone e.g. 1989 GF.

Scotty, Danger, Hawkins and Selwood are each cut from the same cloth. Jezza and Smith are already supping too much of that Kardinia syrup.

Whatever happens in September I still can’t see the Cats winning the big prize.

Reactions: 1 users
We play a taxing brand of footy and when we get a chance to cruise, we cruise. Only when the opposition are truly pathetic like WCE this year, GC a couple of years ago, do we actually bury a team.

I think there is an element of scrapping to get wins too. If we're not scrapping then we don't know what to do.

The problem is that we're not able to either sustain the pressure, or, as was more the case in the best years, be able to hold the opposition when we backed off and/or they had a run. At our best we would score heavily for periods in a game and be able to engineer a stale mate for other periods. It helped that we could keep the ball in our 50 for periods of time (the stupid stand rule hasn't helped, neither did 6-6-6) but we're not as good at this as we were.

Many factors, not least ageing players, but I do reckon the system was a very taxing brand and to win 3 flags and be thereabouts for 4 years was a hell of an effort.

DS

Reactions: 3 users
Weirdly, we seemed to save it for the real stuff.

We absolutely belted teams through the 2017 finals series. It was the most dominant overall finals series I can remember.

Then there was the 2019 GF.

I think it's just a function of our turnover game. We get further ahead when the game is hotter.

Reactions: 6 users
Also our i50 entries are very dirty.
You see Porkins and Jezzaflop get hit by precise bullet passes on the lead whereas Tom and Jackmond very rarely get these kicks.
Our entries involve hack kicks and hospital balls requiring impossible marks.
Bomb it long and hope someone is in the area.
Amazingly I think we are 2nd or 3rd for points scored.
If we were more precise how many more scores would we pile on?
Does my head in seeing all these entries and a Stewart or some other flog just waltz it out and hit their forwards down the other end.

Reactions: 4 users
Our MO has been to pressure the disposal and mop up off half back.
This means we have not focused on winning first ball. We have been poor for the journey but brilliant at times.
The issue with this is if you have not got it you are hoping to get it. We have been bloody good at this though. And it has made for brilliant footy. But sometimes it just bounces the wrong way.
Like you Carter, NFI really.
Good question though and some good responses.
Go tigers.