Why tradition is not a dirty word? by Tony Greenberg | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Why tradition is not a dirty word? by Tony Greenberg

the next big thing

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 5, 2004
Why tradition is not a dirty word
3:58:25 PM Wed 16 June, 2004
Tony Greenberg
richmondfc.com.au

It amazes me that there are people in the football world (members of the Tiger faith and those who aren’t of the persuasion) who believe Richmond’s proud history and tradition has somehow weighed the Club down over the past couple of decades and contributed to our lack of success.

The theory is that Richmond is stuck in the past and there’s too much pressure on the current players to live up to the mighty deeds of the ‘Tigers of Old’.

Nonsense!

As the old saying goes: If you don’t know where you’ve come from, how the hell can you know where you’re going . . . Rather than being perceived as a negative, the Tigers’ past should be seen as a major positive for the Club and everyone who supports us.

The most famous and successful sporting clubs in the world – the New York Yankees, Manchester United, Arsenal, Celtic United, Real Madrid, AC Milan, etc. – are built on a foundation of strong tradition. Those clubs embrace their history and use it as the base of their winning culture.

In many ways, Richmond’s rich history has sustained the Club through the lean times of the past 20-odd years. It gives hope to those Tiger supporters who have lived through a dominant Yellow and Black era, that we are capable of being the competition’s pacesetters, as we have done so previously. I’d say it’s also why, when Richmond is battling down the bottom of the league ladder, that we are the focus of such media attention.

Although the Tigers have seriously under-achieved since the early 1980s, our legion of fans have steadfastly refused to wallow in mediocrity. They know that historically Richmond is a great football club – and will be again in the future. This is why they turn up the heat when performances aren’t up to scratch. The media subsequently feed off this Tiger fan frenzy because of its newsworthiness. End result is enormous coverage of virtually any Richmond-related story that could be construed as a crisis, turmoil, ‘Tigers eating their own’, etc. etc.

Other league clubs who haven’t enjoyed the ultimate success that Richmond has so frequently throughout its 96-year league football history, do not cop anywhere near the same amount of media scrutiny as the Tigers. Admittedly, such attention is frustrating, annoying, even bordering on the ridiculous at times, but let’s not lose sight of the reasons behind this, as stated above . . .

The Richmond Football Club will continue to endure because of the passion of its loyal army of supporters, and because it has such wonderful tradition to turn to for inspiration.

When I was a kid just setting out on my ‘Magical Yellow and Black Mystery Tour’ (in 1965), I devoured every single word the great Jack Dyer wrote in his autobiography ‘Captain Blood’. I loved reading about Jack’s on-field exploits, as well as those of other famous Tigers such as Max Oppy, *smile* Harris, ‘Skinny’ Titus, ‘Mopsy’ Fraser, Georgie Smeaton, Joe Murdoch, the Strang brothers, Maurie Sheahan, Jack Baggott, Alan Geddes, Bill Morris and Basil McCormack. That was my initiation into the ‘Tiger Tribe’, if you like and, even at the tender age of seven, it made me appreciate what was so special about the Richmond Football Club.

Over the next 15 years, I indeed was blessed to witness first-hand the bravery, boldness and brilliance of the likes of Hart, Bartlett, Bourke, Barrot, Clay, Sheedy, Green, Stewart, Balme, Weightman, Wood, Roach, Rowlings, Cloke, and so on and so on . . . I thank my lucky stars that I was there on that last Saturday in September 1967, 1969, 1973, 1974 and 1980, to see us take out football’s ultimate prize. Guess that’s made it a little easier to suffer the pain of the past couple of decades, although, there’s also a school of thought which suggests having experienced such highs has actually made it more difficult to cope with the lows.

Sadly, there is a whole generation of Richmond fans out there who have basically never known anything other than a struggling Tiger side in their lifetime. I urge them, however, to add a decent dose of pride to their current mix of anger, frustration and despair.

Be proud to be a member of the Yellow and Black faith because as sure as night follows day, the wheel will turn – and you will experience that nirvana-like feeling like so many did in 1967 when the Tigers broke a 24-year premiership drought.

All of us with Yellow and Black blood coursing through our veins will regain our bragging rights, and the Tiger again will be the most feared foe in the AFL jungle.

Eat ‘em Alive!!!

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=opinion&spg=display&articleid=155173

Its just a shame the team is playing with the tradition spirit of the old.

Hope that the club isnt trying to rewrite our history as the laughing stock of the AFL.

Hey Tony!

Your preaching to the converted here.We supporters all know about the past tiger passion.Thats why alot of us picked Richmond to barrack for in the first place.

Go tell the players!

Im just a bit sick of the club always year after year trotting out lines in the members bulletins about 'passion and 'tradition'
when l really want to read about 'success' and 'progress' and actually see and believe the club is going forward with much to look forward too.

Unfortunately we dont,and we dont see anything to embrace us to a glorious proud past when the most important time...right now is borderline shameful.

Tough job yours Tony,no doubt at all, l wouldn't fancy trying to 'sell' the idea thats all's sweet at Punt Rd,because people just aren't that stupid. :(
I do agree about your assessment of Celtic being one the most famous and successful world clubs too... :) :)

Give us one decent coach is 20 years and we wouldn't be in this position.

Sheedy, Malthouse, Pagan, dont those name tell the story.

Richmond has been branded that club that loves to sack the coach. Give me the name of one decent coach in the last ten years and I'll shut up!

crackertiger said:
Give us one decent coach is 20 years and we wouldn't be in this position.

Sheedy, Malthouse, Pagan, dont those name tell the story.

Richmond has been branded that club that loves to sack the coach. Give me the name of one decent coach in the last ten years and I'll shut up! 

Northey ?

But, I truly believe that our club is stuck into the past times too much because I also watch and hear other clubs sometimes and NEVER hear them talking about their past as much as us. One of the reasons we continue to fail is because this club just cannot develop itself nor its players in a proper way for the future, and I think most of the youngsters (even when Campbo started as a youngster) were and are totally bored of continuing to hear our Golden Era over and over again. Everytime I hear a Tiger player being asked about those times, they never respond quickly (Ottens was the latest)

Our history is something to be proud of for sure but there's no way Tommy Hafey or Jack Dyer are responsible for a 49 point turnaround last weekend. :mad:

Wonderful article. The last couple of paragraphs gave me goosebumps.

Most of us wouldn't choose another team if we could. We'll be back and watch out world. :D

Our pre-1982 history and tradition is the only positive thing about the RFC. It's all we have to hang our hat on thanks to the complete ineptitude and mediocrity that has infected all aspects of the club since.

I look forward to the day when I might be able to read about how powerful and successful the RFC IS, not WAS. Unfortunately, I will probably be that old by the time it happens that I'll have alzheimer's and not be able to remember anything :p

Get stability at the club and then we might have a chance getting a decent coach. The club has been too gun-ho in the last 20 years sacking coaches, broad room fights, over paid players, poor recruitment. Richmond has not had the right people at the club in the last 20 years. Get that right then we have a chance to return to glory days.

seven said:
Get that right then we have a chance to return to glory days.

This article of Tony's makes me realise that we're lucky to have a chance to get back to the glory days. Some other clubs would fallen by the wayside if they'd been as ordinary as us over the last 20 or so years.

At least we have the pride in our past and the passion to not take mediocrity laying down.

To me this was written from Tony's yellow and black heart, not from an employeee of the RFC.

Any of us here could have expressed the same sentiments if we were articulate enough.

Hopefully we'll be a force again soon and every one of us will be rewarded for sticking through the hard times.

No that we had any choice. It's in our blood. ;)

Here's to a successful future and won't the football world know about it when Richmond dominate the league again. ;D

Seven,

I agree with you totally about getting that right..

However, I think stability will come as a by product of getting it right. While we continue to get it wrong, we will never have stability.

seven said:
Get stability at the club and then we might have a chance getting a decent coach. The club has been too gun-ho in the last 20 years sacking coaches, broad room fights, over paid players, poor recruitment. Richmond has not had the right people at the club in the last 20 years. Get that right then we have a chance to return to glory days.

Let's see, 1980's: 2 coaches sacked, 1990's: 1 coach sacked, not really a large quantity over 20 years, is it?

On Board Room "fights", in the mid-1980's we had a board that took over and almost bankrupted the club (sound familiar?), until they were thrown out and the rescue/rebuilding phase started under Crowe and then Daphne.

That lasted from the late 1980's until the end of 1999, (was that enough "stability" for you?), then another mob took over the board - and look where we are now.

If we need another board room "fight" to fix this current problem - bring it on.

"Over paid players", no argument there. Players like Richardson/Gaspar/Campbell/Daffy et al have been grossly overpaid over the years, but since most Richmond supporters demanded that we keep our "stars", the club had little choice.

"Poor recruitment", yep, a continuation of short-term selection by coaches looking to keep their job for the next season has our list where it is today - this policy has only changed at the last draft.

The only way to "return to the glory days" is to wind the calendar back 30 years, and that is not going to happen. You need to realise that Richmond need to build a new future from scratch, or you will forever be looking to the past and not forward.

One day all of these years we have suffered will be laughed at when we eventually win that prize. We will get greater satisfaction knowing what we have suffered through. It will all be worthwhile in teh end, you jsut have to keep believing, eventually one day we will be pleasantly surprised.