Winning the free kick count and losing games? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Winning the free kick count and losing games?

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Yep, it's like you me and the Large Son of Bull have been right all along.
I'm sure they'll find some way of explaining this through some bizarre conspiratorial aspect

What it also shows is that umpires have diddly impact on the result in the huge number of games. We won three flags on the back of skill, effort and game style. We lost last night because we were putrid. We lose, it's down to us.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Bit obvious I would have thought: they don't feel the need to ream us when we're doing it to ourselves.

DS

PS: they're still grossly incompetent, very inconsistent, they need to pay all the frees they see and we need to protect the player pursuing the ball more than we do now.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Nobody mentioned the umpires all night because we weren’t -10.

did they just forget about the conspiracy?

Bit obvious I would have thought: they don't feel the need to ream us when we're doing it to ourselves.

DS

PS: they're still grossly incompetent, very inconsistent, they need to pay all the frees they see and we need to protect the player pursuing the ball more than we do now.

Wasn't it a conspiracy against us, not gross incompetence?

The way we played Friday definitely qualifies as gross incompetence though, no argument there.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
did they just forget about the conspiracy?

Wasn't it a conspiracy against us, not gross incompetence?

The way we played Friday definitely qualifies as gross incompetence though, no argument there.

I'll grant that our play last Friday was incompetent, hope they are watching how hard Footscray are working today.

As for conspiracy - can you point to where I have ever said this is a conspiracy?

DS

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I'll grant that our play last Friday was incompetent, hope they are watching how hard Footscray are working today.

As for conspiracy - can you point to where I have ever said this is a conspiracy?

DS

So if it's not conspiracy it's game style then?

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights

DS

Ball player needs to be the priority. Too much emphasis on "rewarding" the tackler has skewed the game even further to defensive action, not attacking.

Brian H

Tiger Cub
Jul 26, 2013
I don't know what it is any more. When we we have our pressure game on we give away too many high tackles but don't get rewarded with frees, for example, dropping the ball - probably because of interpretation of the prior rule. I feel this rule is inconsistent amongst many other inconsistent rules.
However our poor pressure games - Sydney and St kilda for example. Sydney we still got really reamed and St kilda we got rewarded. St kilda we were playing the possession game but why does this lead to more free kicks as compared to the Sydney game. We were horrible in both games and umpiring didn't influence the results but why the big difference.
Then we have games like Port, Brisbane and West Coast - just crowd surfing umpiring. This is up to the AFL administration to help the umpires more in hostile environments. However this does not occur at the MCG - Mmmmmm, why not.
I am confused as to how we get a consistent level playing field and consistent interpretations. That's all I want. I certainly don't feel this is occurring.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
now consistency, there's something I can get behind.

Won't happen of course

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Finals are different in both intensity and the way umpires umpire. We know that.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne

No, just gross incompetence, massive inconsistency and the stupidity of the AFL setting a goal of less free kicks per game which is a recipe for inconsistency because they don't pay every free kick they see (how do they choose which frees to pay??).

I'm still waiting for an explanation as to why our opponents give away so few free kicks whenever they play us. We average 16.57 frees for per game, the closest other club is Gold Coast on 17.43 - why do all the other teams in the competition suddenly turn into angels when they play us? FFS everyone turns into the devil when they play Adelaide who average 22 frees for per game.

Brisbane have now gone past us in frees conceded per game, they are on 21.5 and we are on 21, but they don't play against angels every week as they receive 20.64 frees per game.

Is it really a serious argument that our game style is somehow more aggressive, more likely to infringe than every other team for years in a row and somehow every other team is less likely to infringe whenever we play them? Give me a break, every team is looking for any edge they can find, every team is professional, every team is pushing the rules to their absolute limit.

I'm sticking with a combination mainly of incompetence and the stupid direction to pay less frees per game.

DS

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
No, just gross incompetence, massive inconsistency and the stupidity of the AFL setting a goal of less free kicks per game which is a recipe for inconsistency because they don't pay every free kick they see (how do they choose which frees to pay??).

I'm still waiting for an explanation as to why our opponents give away so few free kicks whenever they play us. We average 16.57 frees for per game, the closest other club is Gold Coast on 17.43 - why do all the other teams in the competition suddenly turn into angels when they play us? FFS everyone turns into the devil when they play Adelaide who average 22 frees for per game.

Brisbane have now gone past us in frees conceded per game, they are on 21.5 and we are on 21, but they don't play against angels every week as they receive 20.64 frees per game.

Is it really a serious argument that our game style is somehow more aggressive, more likely to infringe than every other team for years in a row and somehow every other team is less likely to infringe whenever we play them? Give me a break, every team is looking for any edge they can find, every team is professional, every team is pushing the rules to their absolute limit.

I'm sticking with a combination mainly of incompetence and the stupid direction to pay less frees per game.

DS

I'm in furious agreement with you here DavidSSS, except why does incompetence favour other teams more than us? You have to answer that question.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Yes I'm not enjoying this.

UMPIRES = please recommence the reaming so we can start winning games again

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users