2008 Draft | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2008 Draft

I really think if we get 4th or 5th pick Hurley will slip to us.

Melbourne: Naituniu for sure.
Freo: Rich
WC: Will most like go the midfielder or the West Australian.
Ess: Will go the midfielder, they got good KP stocks.

Then theres us.........I hope at least.

Great to see Alex Rance 2nd best on ground in vfl seniors yesterday,after bog in game b4.An absoloute gun,and at least the equal of Cotchin

tigers#7 said:

If Hurley is taken i would like us to go for McKernan.

Fingers cross that we can grab Watt 2nd pick

tigers#7 said:

Freo and west coast will probably finish above us.

evo said:
Freo and west coast will probably finish above us.
How , there both put the cue in the rack long ago. as somebody said on another thread a while ago freo will do whatever it takes to get natanui. ffs they can win three quarters and still lose games!!! and wc are playing a bunch of kids. we arnt that smart , for some reason we still think we can make the finals , why not start playing more kids and slide down the ladder and make the most of this draft cos it will be the last one we will be able to have a crack at the cream of the crop for a few years. this is what the smart clubs have done in the past, not continually finish 9th or there abouts.

mtench said:
How , there both put the cue in the rack long ago. as somebody said on another thread a while ago freo will do whatever it takes to get natanui. ffs they can win three quarters and still lose games!!! and wc are playing a bunch of kids. we arnt that smart , for some reason we still think we can make the finals , why not start playing more kids and slide down the ladder and make the most of this draft cos it will be the last one we will be able to have a crack at the cream of the crop for a few years. this is what the smart clubs have done in the past, not continually finish 9th or there abouts.

I think our finals push died last week. I expect to see a different priority on selection now as we move to "play the kids' phase.

Finaly,someone agrees we should be playing the kids.Its simple,all we have to do is make certain we dont win another game.Melbournes recent efforts make them a big chance to beat us twice.The demons coach will be trying to win as many games as possible in his first year,and now that stynes is in charge,they will win some games.With this year being the last season to take advantage of draft rules,surely one last season of agony after 28 yrs of misery isnt going to make any difference to plyers confidence.It doesnt matter if we finish even 13th,if we dont win another game we get pick 1,and could still end up with an extra priority cos all teams below us play each other again,some twice,we play melb twice so not only play the kids,even some hacks to ensure we simply dont win again this season.I will be furious with richmond footy club if we happen to win another 2 or 3 games and finish say 12th,it would show but a bunch of clowns they are after watching the blues tank for years to take advantage of the draft system.Needs people like us to be direct and honest and write to the club with this issue cos its goodbye forever to this current draft system after this season.As bad as we need a winning culture to begin at the club,we simply MUST NOT WIN ANOTHER GAME THIS SEASON.

dreamtime07 said:
Finaly,someone agrees we should be playing the kids.Its simple,all we have to do is make certain we dont win another game.Melbournes recent efforts make them a big chance to beat us twice.The demons coach will be trying to win as many games as possible in his first year,and now that stynes is in charge,they will win some games.With this year being the last season to take advantage of draft rules,surely one last season of agony after 28 yrs of misery isnt going to make any difference to plyers confidence.It doesnt matter if we finish even 13th,if we dont win another game we get pick 1,and could still end up with an extra priority cos all teams below us play each other again,some twice,we play melb twice so not only play the kids,even some hacks to ensure we simply dont win again this season.I will be furious with richmond footy club if we happen to win another 2 or 3 games and finish say 12th,it would show but a bunch of clowns they are after watching the blues tank for years to take advantage of the draft system.Needs people like us to be direct and honest and write to the club with this issue cos its goodbye forever to this current draft system after this season.As bad as we need a winning culture to begin at the club,we simply MUST NOT WIN ANOTHER GAME THIS SEASON.

Playing the kids doesn't necessarily mean losing.

When drafting i think you need to go best available in the first round particularly, so the players i'll sugest i think are the best available. from the secound round onwards you look to draft on future needs. i say future needs because drafted players aren't expected to have an impact on games for at least 3 years. so the people in the development and list management departments need to look at the younger players that look like making the grade, as probables so they dont need as many of that type, and possibles who they will continue to develop but also draft to cover them if they dont make it, and if they do its a bonus.

i think for the first round best availables are Hamish Hartlett, Jack Ziebell and Chris Yarran.

Hamish Hartlett: i think he is a pure midfielder, he plays out of the centre square and is good around clearances around the ground.
He has very good skills by foot and hand, has good evasive skills and awareness. if he is injury free he could play a few games next year, but would take a few year to mature physically. 182cm, 74kg

Jack Ziebell: he is more of a utility, can play all over the ground but i think his best position is midfield come half forward. has great foot skills is very leathal when he is on his game, is a tough hard at the ball player, he uses his body to get the hardball and it helps him win tough clearances, he wins alot when he is in the middle. also when he is played forward has a good mark and shot on goal. would play a few games next year and have a bit of impact on games, he is realitively well developed physically. 188cm, 84kg

Chris Yarran at the moment he plays predominantly half forward at senior level in the WAFL and has significant impact on games. is very dangerous in the forwardline a killer goal sense, has very good alround skills, can push up and play midfield at times with more conditioning can play more in the midfield and be a dangerous goal kicking midfielder, even is bad games he is a 1-2 goal a game forward. would have alot of impact in the forwardline mainly next year and in future in the midfield is well developed 180cm, 84kg

i would be happy with any of these. interested to hear your thoughts on mine and to post your top few for our first pick.

Based on his final against Vic Metro forget Yarran, we don't need a small forward especially in the first round. Agree on Ziebell and Hartlett though. I'd be happy with one of those or Vickery or Hurley.

I would go Robinson before Yarran even though We'd be paying over the odds for him.

Yarran is a dime a dozen player and i've had enough of the skinny flanker come part time midfielder.

Hartlett would be my ultimate, then Robinson, then Ziebell.

I REALLY REALLY REALLY want Hartlett.

IanG said:
Based on his final against Vic Metro forget Yarran, we don't need a small forward especially in the first round. Agree on Ziebell and Hartlett though. I'd be happy with one of those or Vickery or Hurley.

Firstly You can't base whether or not we'll draft a player on one game. if your going to judge him on one game, why dont you judge him on say a senior game against men in the WAFL (which would be more afl like then an u18 game), lets say his debut, when he kicked 7 goals? i heard that he has kicked 23 goals in something like 7 games in the seniors this year. Yeah he plays HHF atm but with improved fitness and coaching he could become very damaging in both midfield and forwardline, some people have a habit of just packing the team with midfielders. secondly are you saying he had a bad game? i didn't see the whole game but didnt he kick 3 goals, i'd like a player who kicks 3 goals when he plays a bad game, like i said even when he plays a bad game he usually kicks a couple of goals. he also did some nice things around the packs in that game, he'll rarely get 30 touches a game but his 15-20 touches will be all class and class is something we lack atm.

blx said:
I would go Robinson before Yarran even though We'd be paying over the odds for him.

Yarran is a dime a dozen player and i've had enough of the skinny flanker come part time midfielder.

Hartlett would be my ultimate, then Robinson, then Ziebell.

I REALLY REALLY REALLY want Hartlett.

You clearly haven't seen Yarran play or seen a picture of him have you? he is not skinny, his 84kgs is pretty much wat he'd be playing at at afl level, he is a ball of muscle. he not a dime a dozen player, name another player like him? Robinson is ok but definantly not a first rounder, he is a good kick but is to outside and dont forget is a year or two older then most of the players at the u18s so he should be dominating.

Also some very highly regarded people thourght that cotchin, would only become a damaging HFF in the afl, they thourght he didnt have the tools to play midfield, it came from him playing at HFF a lot at junior level, who doubts that cotchin can play midfield now?

IanG said:
Based on his final against Vic Metro forget Yarran, we don't need a small forward especially in the first round.

There is only 1 player in the AFL who could kick 3-4 goals in a match and for people to say "he had a poor game".

Lance Franklin.

It's a great quality to have - so easily kicking goals without trying.

Franklin also had a poor carnival. It comes to how they will develop in an AFL environment, will Yarran work hard off the field purely to impress his teammates?

If so, then I think Yarran could be an absolute gem.

And to the post above, you think Yarran is skinny just because he is aboriginal ::)

He weighs as much as Ziebel who is a tough, solid, developed, inside mid.

Yarran seems to be a bit of a wild card.

I want him.

From what i've read on PRE Yarran seems to be one of those could be anything types
Could be a Buddy, Could be an Oakley

Delediodelight said:
Firstly You can't base whether or not we'll draft a player on one game.

Which is why I state that, you can take or leave my opinion on that basis. Re Cotchin my impression from the discussion last year was that he changed between the fwd line and midfield regularly, whereas I haven't got that impression from whats been said about Yarran.

benny_furs said:
Yarran seems to be a bit of a wild card.

I want him.

Franklin was always a tall power forward, Yarran isn't, there's a huge difference. I'd be happy to take someone like him with say our second pick but not our first pick, he looks like too much of a risk.

Delediodelight said:
You clearly haven't seen Yarran play or seen a picture of him have you? he is not skinny, his 84kgs is pretty much wat he'd be playing at at afl level, he is a ball of muscle. he not a dime a dozen player, name another player like him? Robinson is ok but definantly not a first rounder, he is a good kick but is to outside and dont forget is a year or two older then most of the players at the u18s so he should be dominating.

Saw plenty of him last year and some this year and my opinion on him remains the same as last year.

Didnt like him then and still dont like him now.

He's a excellent average player. He's a type of player im sick of drafting.

Bottom line is you obviously have a different view on Yarran and i respect that but i will be very upset if we grab him with our first round pick.

I dont want another JON type player at our first pick (which could be as high as pick4). Yes he isnt EXACTLY like JON but i just dont see the value in drafting a Medium HFF who might become a part time midfielder. It just isnt good value for the pick.