2008 Draft | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2008 Draft

go polo said:
Phantom & Redford, I need you opinion on Sloane from Eastern Ranges.

Well go polo bear, though the wonders of modern technology YOU are actually able to make an assessment of Rory Sloane yourself ! Check out these vids of him. Number 5 is your boy.

http://videos.rangesfc.com.au/video/78

http://videos.rangesfc.com.au/video/192

http://videos.rangesfc.com.au/video/167

http://videos.rangesfc.com.au/video/143

http://videos.rangesfc.com.au/video/122

http://videos.rangesfc.com.au/video/57

Note: if you really want the inside info. on Rory (or any other Eastern boy for that matter) I suggest you contact Ian Flack at the club. Really nice guy. He’ll put you on their weekly email newsletter and is always happy to have a one on one chat about how any of the lads are going.

[email protected]

Now for the second round. it obviously gets harder as the rounds go on, because the first rounders usually pick themself and its just a matter of which one you want, after that its when the recruiters earn their reputation and the hardwork and long hours need to be put in. so im going to have a shot at who i think will be available.

i think it could be between Tyrone Vickery, Sam Blease, Lewis Johnstone, and Tom Swift.

Tyrone Vickery: TV is recovering from an ACL operation last year and has improved from the beginning of the year, with both fitness and footy. he is a genuine ruckmen at 200cm and still growing, his ground level skills are very good for a ruckman, does pick up numerous touches around the ground and his skills by hand and foot are good, also as seen in the last u18 champs game can go forward and take a contested mark but more importantly kicks the goal. is a good height but needs a bit more muscle and fitness to play AFL next year and have an impact, but could play a game or two. 200cm, 86kg

Sam Blease: Sam is a bottom aged midfielder, is fast across the ground and generally uses his speed well at stoppages. is also very skilful especially by foot, is very clean and balanced when disposing of the ball, he can look relaxed at times during games but in a good way, (its like things go into slow motion). is light but is bottom aged so will develop more, probably won't play next year. 183cm, 72kg

Lewis Johnstone LJ like Sam is bottom aged, he is a tall forward 192cm but should have some growth still in him. his mobility is a feature of his game, is a good contested mark and when the ball hits the ground is very good for a tall, his 1% and efforts to bring others into the game is also a feature. is usually a solid shot for goal and i could see him playing either FF or CHF in future and just needs the physical side of him to develop. 192cm,(i misplaced his weight sorry)

Tom Swift: Tom is also coming back from an ACL injury but hasn't recovered aswell as TV, while i admit he is a risk i think what he put on show in the u16 champs was absolutely amazing. he is a high possession player, in the u16 it was something like 45,30, and 40, and they where not all cheap outside touches, his skills were good, but haven't seen much of him post ACL, so will be interesting to see him over the rest of the season and especially at draft camp. could play next year as his body is a good size and weight, but would need to be fully over his injuries 190cm, 84kg

i would be happy with any of these players but seen as i think we will go small with our first pick i thick TV and LJ would be the prioritys here but i think all are worthy.

Delediodelight said:
i think it could be between Tyrone Vickery, Sam Blease, Lewis Johnstone, and Tom Swift.

Vickery and Johnstone will almost certainly go first round.

IanG said:
Vickery and Johnstone will almost certainly go first round.

IanG, I've seen Johstone play one game on tape. Read his record and viewed his stats and I'll be amazed (and grateful) if he lasts till our pick. Key forwards of passable size with footy smarts at bottom age go very early. He's a baby.

Ruck/forwards like Vickery go first round, particularly in view of his game on Natanui. The coming off an ACL thing will only enhance his mystique.

BTW historically if Blease goes well at draft camp he could go early because he can finish and is a baby. Compare with Jordan Russell.

Sam BLEASE 19-Feb-91 183 72 Eastern Ranges/Norwood

Blokes like the geriatric flanker Taswegian... Robinson are up against it. If he goes in the ND it's thin. He'll be 20 in June. Taswegians in general are frowned upon or Thorp would have gone before Hansen. Hansen #3? FFS.

Hurley IMO is the type that seldom goes in the top five or even ten. He's not athletic, sure he can kick, but he's a defender. Clubs rightly reason that they can get a better value player early. Where did Rutten go? For a shooter Glass? Harris/Lake?

Lynch is one I can't get a bearing on. Any clues? Does he have fans? Ground skills?

Yarran? Didn't Wells runner up in the Sandgroper Medal at 17yo? Priddis - fourth and second? Sampi went at #6. Who was the last dynamic small forward to go top ten? Oh, that's right - Tambling. ;D

I respect your call on Yarran, Mr Magic, but surely he'll slide. Suppose he's another Daniel Motlop. Who wants one? Who is the best Motlop type in the AFL? O'Loughlin? Well, maybe.

Dyer'ere said:
Lynch is one I can't get a bearing on. Any clues? Does he have fans? Ground skills?

Yarran? Didn't Wells runner up in the Sandgroper Medal at 17yo? Priddis - fourth and second? Sampi went at #6. Who was the last dynamic small forward to go top ten? Oh, that's right - Tambling. ;D

I respect your call on Yarran, Mr Magic, but surely he'll slide. Suppose he's another Daniel Motlop. Who wants one? Who is the best Motlop type in the AFL? O'Loughlin? Well, maybe.

O'Loughlin is overrated IMHO.

As for Lynch he looks to me to be similar to Bate, skilled but an in between size. I wouldn't take him first round.

IanG said:

As for Lynch he looks to me to be similar to Bate, skilled but an in between size. I wouldn't take him first round.

Lynch & Bate are a good comparison. Bate is a bit taller.

Still reckon Bate should be at CHB but that's Melbourne's problem.

IanG said:

Disagree on both fronts. Micky O is massively under rated. Been a star for a long time. Matchup nightmare. Perfect second/third forward. Silky smooth, underrated mark and kicks big goals.

As for Lynch I rate him, just looks like a footballer. Darren Milburn is who he reminds me off. I suppose we differ on the fact that I think Milburn and Micky O are perfect team footballers. Don't get all the kudous but have been integral parts of successful sides. Happy to get some one like that with our first pick regardless of who it is.

If we go quality mid first round who are the talls come our 2nd rounder?

Tall 200+cm basketballer turned footballer Ayce Cordy? if bulldogs dont nab him f/s

196cm backman Jackson Trengrove?

Lanky 202cm ruckman Jarrad Redden?

Slow moving 199cm beanpole Jordan Roughead?

Freakish 193cm Forward Tom Rockliff?

John Butcher?

i really like pack crashing 196cm forward Jordan Lisle?

anyone else?

Butcher is apparently too young and wont be in the draft until next year, mores the pity. He should be a freak by next year. I would hope Trengrove is available, I doubt Redden will, Roughead didn't impress me. Lisle looked good he might be available I guess, he played at CHB in the final IIRC.

The recruiting fraternity largely ranked the top 3 pre championships as Naitanui, Rich and Yarran.

Watts looks to have jumped in front of all of these and others such as Vickery are right in the top 5 mix now as well.

I think Yarran may fall a little given the fact that quality key talls are avaliable top 10 and more traditional mids in Hartlett and Ziebell are probably safer options.

However I have seen Yarran play 4 or 5 times this year and whoever gets him (and I think it will still be a top 10 pick) will be very happy. His senior WAFL form has been superior to either Rich or Naitanui this year.

I do admit to some bias though as I am still looking for the next Maurice Rioli and he is the closest thing this year.

Mr Magic said:
However I have seen Yarran play 4 or 5 times this year and whoever gets him (and I think it will still be a top 10 pick) will be very happy. His senior WAFL form has been superior to either Rich or Naitanui this year.

I do admit to some bias though as I am still looking for the next Maurice Rioli and he is the closest thing this year.

No bias here IMO. Yarran has looked a better player against the men than Rich (I feel he has dropped of a bit in the WAFL this year) and Naitanui.

Mr Magic said:
The recruiting fraternity largely ranked the top 3 pre championships as Naitanui, Rich and Yarran.

Watts looks to have jumped in front of all of these and others such as Vickery are right in the top 5 mix now as well.

I think Yarran may fall a little given the fact that quality key talls are avaliable top 10 and more traditional mids in Hartlett and Ziebell are probably safer options.

would you say yarran is a midfielder like maurice? or has that potential to be midfielder like maurice.

those wafl days were my era. late 70's early eighties. Baracked for sharkies but Stephan Michael was my hero (wasnt he everyones?)

but i must say i remember when maurice come down from darwin he was a superstar straight away.

His brother??? Sibi was a gun too.

i just cant see the parallels in Yarran/Rioli but im livin over here in melbs now so i spose you'd know much better.

thats a HUGE call comparing Yarran to Maurice :eek:

blx said:
would you say yarran is a midfielder like maurice? or has that potential to be midfielder like maurice.

He barely played any midfield in the U18 final from what I remember.

Yarran did have spurts in the midfield in his U18 games.

As yet, he doesn't have the engine to run any decent length of time in the midfield. Hopefully it is something that he can develop. It's probably the one thing that keeping him from the top of the tree but it is a factor.

blx said:
If we go quality mid first round who are the talls come our 2nd rounder?

Tall 200+cm basketballer turned footballer Ayce Cordy? if bulldogs dont nab him f/s

196cm backman Jackson Trengrove?

Lanky 202cm ruckman Jarrad Redden?

Slow moving 199cm beanpole Jordan Roughead?

Freakish 193cm Forward Tom Rockliff?

John Butcher?

i really like pack crashing 196cm forward Jordan Lisle?

anyone else?

Rockliff is only 183cms

blx said:

those wafl days were my era. late 70's early eighties. Baracked for sharkies but Stephan Michael was my hero (wasnt he everyones?)

but i must say i remember when maurice come down from darwin he was a superstar straight away.

His brother??? Sibi was a gun too.

i just cant see the parallels in Yarran/Rioli but im livin over here in melbs now so i spose you'd know much better.

thats a HUGE call comparing Yarran to Maurice :eek:

Yarran is no Maurice Rioli, but I don't think that is what Mr Magic was saying. Mind you, he is pretty well built for an 18 year old (Yarran, not Mr Magic), he certainly isn't a 70kg dripping wet stick.

Yarran reminds me bit of Medhurst as a player, except he can play a bit in the middle at WAFL level.

After watching today's game i really think we should try and push somehow to get another pick in the first round, I suggest offering up Cleve Hughes (The bloke just does not work hard enough to become a consistent senior player) and Raines as a package and hopefully prize Adelaides first pick or if not even Melbournes first priority pick. If possible i would love a Zieball, Johnstone combination but i think i may be living in Fantasy land unfortunately?

I chose Adelaide as they need some forwards and Cleve comes from there i just think we should try and cash in on him whilst he has some inkling of value does anyone think a trade like this could work?

Im still liking Hartlett or Ziebell. but i fear the more games we win the less chance we have of snaring either.