2013 Election Year Party Policies- Liberal | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2013 Election Year Party Policies- Liberal

RemoteTiger

Woof!
Jul 29, 2004
Tigers of Old said:
Looking forward to when party policy starts being discussed in depth as opposed to some of the insignificant issues that have once again dominated media agenda this weekend!

Hey ToO check out this site for the Coalition Policy and goals - I have downloaded the PDF and at a glance read it looks OK - when I get a bit of time I will look into it deeper.

http://www.liberal.org.au/real-solutions?gclid=CN6Mgb_VjLUCFUhKpgodAQkA0A

Forgetting Party politics and Political Leaders' personalities (and those ideals of some posters on here) Australia is in real need of a blueprint to move forward - currently this is the only document that I have seen that suggests something like a plan.

My fear is Tony Abbott's ability to stick to the plan and then reach the goals outlined.

Sadly Julia Gillard is currently just lurching from crisis to crisis - I understand the "hung" parliament does not help and certain media are against her every move but gee I really don't feel like Australia is being lead at the moment! Seems to be a rudderless ship - where a strong hand on the tiller is desperately needed!

Re: Re: Talking Politics

Brodders17 said:
i havent read it, but media reports suggest there arent many, if any, actual policies in this paper. is this wrong?

Its more about - this is where we have to be and to get there we are going to focus on these areas - politically it would be imprudent to show your cards 8 to 9 months out from an election.

But what this means to me as a business owner, community member and parent is that they have said this is where we have to go these are the areas we have to address - stay tuned for how we are going to do it.

Strewth it might sound that I'm trying to sell the coalition - please I'm not far from it - they too have many flaws.

But right now I fear for my family's future, my business' future, my staffs' future and for Australia's future - because we are just treading water or even going backwards in every other sector than mining and banking.

RemoteTiger said:
Strewth it might sound that I'm trying to sell the coalition - please I'm not far from it - they too have many flaws.

But right now I fear for my family's future, my business' future, my staffs' future and for Australia's future - because we are just treading water or even going backwards in every other sector than mining and banking.

A few mates are in construction and they are having a quieter time and we have seen some major job losses in this area as well as in manufacturing.

Abbott has ruled out a return of WorkChoices but has said the area still needs reform so I am sure this will be an area that Gillard and co. will use to try and get the unions and weekly wage earners up in arms about....and to gain votes.

You are not alone with being "fearful" of many things that affect you personally and professionally and I am also fearful of many things if Gillard/ALP get voted in again :-\

Its good to see though that Abbott/Libs have put out a plan and people can now judge him and the party on their ideas, philosophies, and policies instead of jumping up and down at Gillard's melodramatic speeches and name-calling.

Its going to be very difficult for Abbott and co. if they do get into power as they will have to deal with a mounting deficit that they will need to curb and do not have the luxury of a healthy surplus that the ALP were able to turn to when they first got into power in 2007.

Either way, I think we are in for a tough time in the very near future and it will be interesting to see what happens as the next election grows closer.

RemoteTiger said:
Hey ToO check out this site for the Coalition Policy and goals - I have downloaded the PDF and at a glance read it looks OK - when I get a bit of time I will look into it deeper.

Forgetting Party politics and Political Leaders' personalities (and those ideals of some posters on here) Australia is in real need of a blueprint to move forward - currently this is the only document that I have seen that suggests something like a plan.

My fear is Tony Abbott's ability to stick to the plan and then reach the goals outlined.

Sadly Julia Gillard is currently just lurching from crisis to crisis - I understand the "hung" parliament does not help and certain media are against her every move but gee I really don't feel like Australia is being lead at the moment! Seems to be a rudderless ship - where a strong hand on the tiller is desperately needed!

Cheers for the link. A good read actually. You're right though about the ability to deliver on promises. We'll see when his time inevitably comes which I fear it will.

RemoteTiger said:

Thanks for that link Remote, I haven't read it all, but has been a good read so far, I will definately finish it.

Its not policy as such, but a good insight how the coalition are thinking. selfishly I looked for anything defence related, but its not there, but I can understand that, as the defence budget won't be a huge topic coming into an election year.

MB78 said:
That graph on page 22 makes very poor reading for us as a country.

It doesn't look flash at all, mate :-[

Its good to see though that the report isn't based on the ALP negatives but they state clearly what THEY will do.

I think also that this will also be determined by the financial state of the country by the time the Libs get into power (if they indeed do)

Interesting to see the coalition put such a strong emphasis on urban infrastructure spending in their philosophy document, as infrastructure is often a criticism of the Howard government.

Anyone else notice the way the document header is formatted?

Hope
Reward

A slip of the eye easily sees 'Howard' in there. Not an accident I suspect.

Liverpool said:
Its good to see though that the report isn't based on the ALP negatives but they state clearly what THEY will do.

This is from the link Remote provided. Pretty disappointing imo. For every claim about Labor's mess there would probably be a similar incident within the Lib party. It would be wonderful if both parties could leave the dirty stuff out of their campaigns.

Have had a glance through the Liberal's Real Solutions like that Remote kindly provided. There are several claims of "Costed Fully Budgeted" but I don't see, admittedly from a complete ignoramus perspective, how that's done. Glancing through the download there seems to be a massive amount of cost cuts and removed taxes and a lot of promised increased expenditure. It seems to me that the money to cover that is largely on promised initiatives panning out the right way, something that surely can't be guaranteed at this stage. Interested to know if others are confident it all balances out and is fully costed as claimed?

Look forward to reading it, internet is slow as buggery here, flood related I suspect. 2 major fails already though for me on things that are most important to me.

1) Repealing the CT. Words cannot convey how bad this policy is. You want leadership? This is not it, pandering to the pea brains. Dragging us backwards, no regard for the environment, no vision, short term, abysmal. Anti environment, anti market, anti innovation.

2) Tax cuts to mining when Australia need to tax mining more, or take a half-decent cut of what is ours, to build for the future. How is Abbott planning on financing his infrastructure plans with retrograde moves like this? I know how.

Both huge for me.

Is there any chance the libs will replace tony ? I'd love to have a real choice this election.

Baloo said:
Is there any chance the libs will replace tony ? I'd love to have a real choice this election.

No chance based on current polls.