2014 Hindsight Draft | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2014 Hindsight Draft

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Interesting, I've just had a dig through the 2010 commentary and looks like it was Darling for me at 6 (not Caddy), don't mind that selection in hindsight. Some great debate in there, Leysy, Evo & Scoop were mad for Heppell, Phanto for Caddy, a few for Polec and some for Lynch. Interesting that not one person mentioned Conca until it became apparent we were taking him. If ever there was a leftfield selection that was it. Here were my random thoughts on Darling.

bullus_hit said:
Currently bigger than Aaron Hammil with a similar build, could be a strongman in the forwardline for any club that selects him. He definitely had a below par U/18 carnival but was very imposing the year before. With the added bonus of being able to play midfield in short bursts, I think he will be a very useful player.

bullus_hit said:
He'll be observed with keen interest, it will be interesting to see if an AFL environment brings the best out in him similar to Franklin and Mitch Clark or whether he remains a loose cannon. His form last season was outstanding and he's been pretty good in the WAFL without being dominant. Could possibly be the steal of the draft or could be a dud whose Fevola like antics drag the club down to gutter levels. I reckon the media will love him which ever way it goes.

bullus_hit said:
GC go Bennell, one of Darling or Day will be available so we should be able to snare a KP player.

bullus_hit said:
Wouldn't be upset with Darling.

Looks like I was firm on the need for KP prospects that year, Darling did slide but it was definitely unjustified. Parker was the obvious choice at 30, amazing to think that he was rated as a top 20 pick by many yet fell into the lap of the Swans. Opportunity missed by Frank, Batchelor was another very leftfield decision.

Pick 6 - Jack Darling
Pick 30 - Luke Parker

Beyond the first two picks I really didn't do the research so I'll leave that blank, which is probably just as effective as Frank's McDonald selection along with Derickx, Miller & Jakobi. 2010 was a trainwreck, no other way to put it. We also inexplicably promoted Gourdis off the rookie list, strange move even to this day.

Tiger Superstar
Feb 28, 2008
Thanks bullus, appreciate the effort.
Please keep them coming if you can - no rush.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Ooh, can I play, 17?

SCOOP, if we impress maybe we'll get our wish and become Richmond's new recruiters! ;D

Here's some posts I made back then:

spook said:
It sure makes for a lot of discussion between now and draft day, not just on the interwebz but also within club confines. Lynch is tantalising. 199 (does that mean he's doomed to be a ruckman, Big Jack?), good in the air, excellent on the ground, mobile, skilled, knows where the goals are... what's wrong with him? Nothing that I can see. Skinny, but Glen McGrath skinny, not Bruce Reid skinny. (I think that was once said about Ooh Aah himself, substituting Curtly Ambrose in the comparison.)

I still really like Harper. Hasn't delivered as often as others but he has some serious X and coming off hip surgery can't be easy for a kid. Numbers last year were better. Look at the 18s champs - who was more impressive than Harper against WA? Caddy was great in the same game but Harper was brilliant. Matchwinner stuff that will arguably translate better to AFL than beating up on smaller types. Bennell against SA from reports. Heppell for consistency. Atley played a blinder in Perth. Harper is probably one who falls between our first and second picks but I'd be surprised if his name isn't bouncing around FJ's office. Pretty even after the first three anyway...

Second round, I agree on Green. I have no doubt he'll make it. Potentially a bargain for what he could become. Will Luke Mitchell get to that pick if we go mid first up?

spook said:
Isn't Gaff going to West Coast at 4? Probably he and Heppell at 4 and 5 one way or the other. If so, I like Polec at 6. Damaging player.

Do you mean Parker is like Basti in that he'll be a bargain in the 20s (which I agree with) or that he plays like him (which I'm not sure about)? I like Parker and would be happy if he were there at our second pick. Kicks goals and is a great mark for his size. Serious elevation. Bartel-like.

spook said:
You'd reckon if Parker somehow slipped to our second round we'd be all over him. Green I rate highly - would be happy with him. Quick, good hops, nice hands and kicks a goal. Dare I say it, moves a bit like G. Ablett. I reckon if he played for a Div 1 side he'd be a certain first-rounder.

spook said:
I reckon Polec is perfect for West Coast. I'd pick him ahead of Gaff purely on football stuff. Reminds me so much of Nathan Brown, especially the sidestep and the way he guides the ball onto his boot. A young Nathan Brown would be alright.

spook said:
OK, I had the day off today, so aside from getting a massage I watched A LOT of footage. I've gone for what I feel clubs might do (e.g. pick 6 - just got a sneaky feeling that rumour's on the money), or when there are so many options I don't have a clue, done what I would do (e.g. pick 4 - Gaff, Heppell or Polec, or picks 14-15). I've matched players with clubs and have reasons for all of them. Plenty are just best available but where I feel I've gone left field I will come back and edit this post to explain why I took a certain player where I did. My eyes are a bit square at the moment though so I'm going for a walk.

It is quite a deep draft, having left out players I thought I would include for sure. A lot of the time that meant leaving out ruckmen, who I feel teams might leave until the rookie draft, given the new interchange rules. It's also one where a team like Port, with picks 16, 35, 36, is not much worse off than us with 6, 30, 47 - if at all. Plenty of talent in the 30s and it's so even a bloke who is a toss-up for pick 20 could go mid-30s. A guy like Crocker could go 20 places higher. Apart from GC, Brisbane, with 5, 25, 28, 32, should have a birthday, and WC with 4, 26, 29, is well-placed too.

Edit: Been stewing over a few things so made some changes. If you want to see what I originally posted it's quoted by Smoking Aces. I also put in a few explanations. Take everything with a grain of salt because this is youtube recruiting at its finest. I fully expect blokes like Kieran Butcher, Tom Ledger, Andrew Phillips, Ben Brown and others to be at AFL clubs next year, and clubs like Collingwood (why? because they're smart) will still have live picks after 75. If I'm right in thinking pick 64 is Richmond's last live pick before we upgrade the Goo I'm annoyed, because I'd love to have a crack one of those blokes prior to the rookie draft. I still can't work out why we kept Nahas on, other than his contract, which I would have happily paid out. Seven picks in the ND last year and only five this year in a deeper draft. Nahas is a lucky boy.

Right, here it is. Go your hardest.

1. Gold Coast: David Swallow
2. Gold Coast: Sam Day
3. Gold Coast: Dyson Heppell
4. West Coast: Harley Bennell
5. Brisbane: Jared Polec
6. Richmond: Seb Tape
7. Gold Coast: Andrew Gaff
8. Essendon: Shaun Atley
9. Gold Coast: Tom Lynch
10. Gold Coast: Jack Darling
11. Gold Coast: George Horlin-Smith
12. Melbourne: Dan Gorringe
13. Gold Coast: Pat McCarthy
14. Adelaide: Brodie Smith
15. Geelong: Isaac Smith
16. Port Adelaide: Scott Lycett
17. North: Jed Lamb
18. Carlton: Josh Caddy
19. Hawthorn: Jayden Pitt
20. Freo: Tyler Chalwell. Here's where I have to explain myself first I guess. I really like Chalwell and I reckon Freo does too. They have recruited a lot of mids and running players over the past 2-3 years but still have no obvious replacements for Pav, McPharlin and Tarrant. This kid is a powerful, athletic CHB with great hands, a huge leap and very good skills. If they don't take him here they miss out I believe.
21. Sydney: Reece Conca
22. Dogs: Mitch Wallis f/son
23. Geelong: Matt Watson
24. St Kilda: Luke Mitchell. The Saints were a decent 2nd key forward away from a flag this year and probably last year too. Mitchell's a big boy who should play next year.
25. Brisbane: Billie Smedts
26. West Coast: Lucas Cook. The Eagles have holes everywhere. They really need a full forward and I know Cook is more a CHF/CHB but if you can play CHF you can play FF in my book.
27. North: Keiran Harper. Everyone knows Harper is a favourite of mine so I've possibly overcompensated placing him so low but he has had injury and consistency worries so it could happen. With Lamb and Harper the Roos add a bit of pizzazz to their blue collar stocks. They will be thrilled.
28. Brisbane: Dion Prestia
29. West Coast: Ben Newton. I think this kid will be a very good player.
30. Richmond: Daniel Farmer. As above. Great size, pace, skills.
31. Essendon: Mitch Hallahan. They need to toughen up.
32. Brisbane: Luke Parker
33. Melbourne: Josh Green
34. Carlton: Alex Fasolo
35. Port: Cameron Guthrie
36. Port: Jamie Cripps
37. Geelong: Ben Jacobs
38. Hawthorn: Alex Johnson. Hawks might hope to do a Schoenmakers with him and make him a backman. Can play either end and I rate him the best KPP left.
39. Gold Coast: Tom Gordon. Key backman. They lack KPP at either end.
40. Sydney: Aaron Young
41. Dogs: Libba f/son
42. Carlton: Cameron Delaney. They need a big backman too.
43. St Kilda: Ed Curnow
44. Freo: Sam Menagola. Reports differ as to whether this kid's 188cm or 194. Popular opinion has him 194, which makes him a very promising key forward prospect.
45. Collingwood: Viv Michie
46. Collingwood: Nathan Batley
47. Richmond: Jimmi Savage. Did a huge beep test. Tall but skinny CHF with good hands and skills. Can accompany Westhoff to Maccas.
48. Essendon: Warwick Andreoli
49. Gold Coast: Anton Hamp. Bit of a lead, mark, kick FF but he's good at it.
50. Melbourne: Ariel Steinberg
51. Richmond: Alex Browne. I like this kid. Tough, solid, aggressive and sound skills.
52. Port: Jake Batchelor. As above. Batchelor, Browne, Batley, Lester are all pretty similar, Batley being the quickest, Lester the tallest.
53. Melbourne: Pat Karnezis. Might be too low, found him hard to place. Skillful player; lacks a bit of physicality for me.
54. Geelong: Ryan Lester
55. Hawthorn: Dan Nicholson
56. Freo: Angus Litherland
57. Sydney: Josh Mellington
58. Geelong: J-Pod upgrade
59. Geelong: Pass (I believe they don't have the list space).
60. St Kilda: Michael Hibberd
61. Collingwood: Aaron Mullett
62. Adelaide: Tim Milera
63. West Coast: Jacob Brennan f/son
64. Richmond: Jordan Eades
65. Essendon: Myles Sewell
66. Brisbane: Sam Crocker
67. Hawthorn: Declan Reilly
68. Carlton: Max Otten
69. Port: Cameron Hitchcock upgrade
70. North: Matthew Rankine
71. Carlton: Cameron Johnston
72. North: Callum Sinclair
73. Freo: Aaron Sweet
74. Sydney: Jacob Gilbee
75. Dogs: Hayden Yarran

Phew!

Not as easy as it sounds, hey Ally? ;D Let's see these smartarses come up with their own!

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
I had a chuckle at some of the Allybabe posts, no Temel in your phantom Spook? Shame on you!

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
bullus_hit said:
I had a chuckle at some of the Allybabe posts, no Temel in your phantom Spook? Shame on you!
Haha, no but I did have Tyler Chalwell at pick 20! Wonder what he's doing now...

Still, Heppell at 3, Lynch at 9 and Darling at 10 was earlier than most had them.

By the way, I was including you in that recruiting posse. Imagine what we could do if we were paid to actually go watch the kids, rather than judge off highlights clips!

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
spook said:
Haha, no but I did have Tyler Chalwell at pick 20! Wonder what he's doing now...

Still, Heppell at 3, Lynch at 9 and Darling at 10 was earlier than most had them.

By the way, I was including you in that recruiting posse. Imagine what we could do if we were paid to actually go watch the kids, rather than judge off highlights clips!

Greg Miller has taught us well, now for some lawn mowing lessons. ;D

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
For 2011 it was Ellis for me, although I concede I didn't see him as a gun mid back then, I felt he would emulate a Heath Shaw or Shannon Hurn, which is still fair praise.

bullus_hit said:
His sprint time was a lot faster than I anticipated, 3.04 or thereabouts, he's also dual-sided although his non-preferred doesn't have much depth at this stage. I like Ellis and think he'll slot into the 22 with ease.

bullus_hit said:
Best available at our pick IMO. Happy enough to grab a core player who looks destined to play immediately.

At pick 26 I was dead keen on Mitchell Grigg, I was a little bit put off by his 3.20 sprint time but saw a bit of Daniel Rich in his game. Given he's only played 17 games this selection could go either way. The problem with Grigg being a Crow is the fact there are plenty of others who offer the same, with Crouch & Ellis-Yolmen leaping ahead I'm worried he'll be delisted next year, will be interesting to see if any other clubs put in a bid for his services. Compared to Elton it's probably a nil all draw, although given talls take longer we might find that Frank wins out on this selection. Jury still out however.

Some of my thoughts at the time -

bullus_hit said:
A good beep test and 3km time trial, he had the tank to go with the skills. Incidently, Grigg has managed to record a higher beep than Sidebottom.

bullus_hit said:
I would rate Grigg the best kick in the draft, lovely left shoe which would be deadly from outside 50m.

As for pick 55 (Matt Arnot), I would have taken O'Hanlon.

bullus_hit said:
Very happy with this selection, I wanted Brett with pick 55 but happy enough to snag him in the PSD. From what I've seen he's a lovely kick and one of the stongest marks of the entire draft class. At the moment he's more of a medium size forward but in time could have stints in the midfield, I'm hoping we just nabbed ourselves the next Ryan O'Keefe.

Reading back on this thread I'm starting to get an uneasy feeling about Lennon, obviously he's a much more skillful player but athletically they're similar types. Bad pick in the end unfortunately, hopefully lightening doesn't strike twice.

The PSD pick would have gone on Andrew Boseley who was picked up by the Hawks with a rookie pick, dud selection given he played zero games. This was the moment I started ignoring negators at draft time, preferring more attacking players. It's one thing to take out a guy like Patton at junior level but another to do it in the AFL. Certainly a lesson learned.

As for the rookie draft, didn't mind the Maric selection at the time but clearly this was another recycled bag of garbage. As for the Verrier, Darrou & Wright picks, poor strategy. Didn't do the research but at this point I'm now starting to get a bit hot under the collar about our reluctance to tap into the state leagues. All three of those guys clogged up the production line and we're paying dearly for that now.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
spook said:

We'd stand out. The only crew to arrived with a esky. I'm going to start on this post and just add selections as find them.

In 2005 I wanted

8 Shannon Hurn

In 2006 I was all in on

13 Jack Riewoldt
26 Eric MacKenzie
58 Daniel Connors - was stoked with

In 2007

2 Trent Cotchin
18 Alex Rance

In 2008

8 Jack Ziebell
26 Jordan Leslie
I watnted Cousins
I wanted Nahas

In 2009

3 Anthony Morabito
19 Ryan Bastinac
35 David Astbury
44 Jack Fitzpatrick

In 2010 I was clear cut

6 Heppell
26 Parker
37 Daniel Farmer
51 Micheal Hibberd

In 2011 I was all in on Ellis.

15 Ellis
26 Mitch Grigg

Pick 9 Brodie Grundy ( was seriously in on Ollie Winnes. Leysy had Jimmy Toumpas ahead of Wines ;D)
Pick 32 Dayle Garlett
Roookie Shane Nelson

Pick 12 Matt Crouch.

Pick 12 Lachie Weller
Pick 33 Connor Blakely
Pick 52 Dean Gore
Pick 67 Jayden Short
Pick 77 Reece McKenzie

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
bullus_hit said:
As for the rookie draft, didn't mind the Maric selection at the time but clearly this was another recycled bag of garbage. As for the Verrier, Darrou & Wright picks, poor strategy. Didn't do the research but at this point I'm now starting to get a bit hot under the collar about our reluctance to tap into the state leagues. All three of those guys clogged up the production line and we're paying dearly for that now.

Those picks didn't turn out, but at least there was some reasonable logic behind the selections. Eg they took a look at the success stories from the rookie list over the league, and tried to draft similar types to those strategies. I think the only other "type" they could have gotten, would have been a ruckman. Not sure if there were any available that were good enough to make it.

The success hasn't been great, and you could accuse them of following a strategy rather than leading with a new one, but they were trying to minimise risks as our list was shithouse.

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
SCOOP said:
We'd stand out. The only crew to arrived with a esky. I'm going to start on this post and just add selections as find them.

Will keep adding.

Not many key position players in that list Scoop. Only 2. We'd be in trouble from a list management strategy - no Grffiths, no Elton, No Astbury. No ruckmen either. (so far!)

I think one thing you might not consider (as it's not your job and you don't have infinite time for a hobby!) is that there's also the under 16s (?) coming through. The guys have to keep an eye on the future, and work out when they must take a KPP, because they don't anticipate being in a position to take one who will be available in 2 years time. Eg they expect to have climbed the ladder, and the kid is a bonafide star so won't be available to draft without trading, or the kids look like plodders, so therefore you need to take one now instead of waiting.

You'd certainly make Terry Wallace happy. He wanted a team of mids, with 2 bookends and a ruckman. ;D

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
The_General said:
Those picks didn't turn out, but at least there was some reasonable logic behind the selections. Eg they took a look at the success stories from the rookie list over the league, and tried to draft similar types to those strategies. I think the only other "type" they could have gotten, would have been a ruckman. Not sure if there were any available that were good enough to make it.

The success hasn't been great, and you could accuse them of following a strategy rather than leading with a new one, but they were trying to minimise risks as our list was sh!thouse.

The problem as I saw it was the all or nothing approach, we limited ourselves to certain player types who required a minimum of 2 years development and that's being optimistic. The key to the rookie draft is high turnover, players who can be accurately assessed after 12 months and culled or kept based on 12 months of exposure. We could have mixed it up a bit, there were some great picks that year too. Just for the record, Clarke, Frost, Laird, Jong, Bell, Shenton, Marley Williams, Crisp, Blicavs, Gibson, Clancee Pearce, Cunningham & Baguley were all selected in the 2011 rookie draft. I'm not asking for miracles but 2010 & 2011 were shocking years for the club with all picks apart from Brandon Ellis being fails.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Just a quick note on Grigg, I just noticed his stats for the last 2 matches, 19 touches, 4 tackles, 2 goals & 14 touches, 4 tackles & 1 goal. Hopefully he gets a decent run from here, given he's 22 he should be entering his prime years. The key here will be holding his place, can't see too much wrong with his last fortnight of football all things considered.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
The_General said:
Not many key position players in that list Scoop. Only 2. We'd be in trouble from a list management strategy - no Grffiths, no Elton, No Astbury. No ruckmen either. (so far!)

I think one thing you might not consider (as it's not your job and you don't have infinite time for a hobby!) is that there's also the under 16s (?) coming through. The guys have to keep an eye on the future, and work out when they must take a KPP, because they don't anticipate being in a position to take one who will be available in 2 years time. Eg they expect to have climbed the ladder, and the kid is a bonafide star so won't be available to draft without trading, or the kids look like plodders, so therefore you need to take one now instead of waiting.

You'd certainly make Terry Wallace happy. He wanted a team of mids, with 2 bookends and a ruckman. ;D

I don't think we'd be worse off, we'd have a killer midfield. And the picks I make every year a reflection of where the list sits and what our most pressing need is. And it has and still is midfield. We'd have two All Australian's in the midfield plus a medium forward in Ziebell. I know I wanted Jack Fitzpatrick in the Dea pick. Think I wanted Eric McKenzie, not sure, though in the Shane Edwards slot. And I wanted Brodie Grundy. So it balances out. Interesting to see how it washes out.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
SCOOP said:
We'd stand out. The only crew to arrived with a esky.
:hihi

I'll have a crack:

I know that in 2004 I wanted Lids and Buddy because I had an argument with my brother who was dead-keen on Tambling and I yelled at him: "Richo's nearly 30! Why wouldn't we pick the new Richo!"

In 2005 I wanted
8 Mitch Clark

In 2006 I wasn't paying attention.

In 2007
2 Trent Cotchin
18 Callum Ward

In 2008
8 Jack Ziebell
26 McKernan, from memory

In 2009
3 Dusty
19 Griffiths

In 2010
6 Heppell/Darling/Lynch
30 Parker/Farmer

In 2011 I was overseas.

9 Grundy/Menzel
31 Mason Wood

12 Lennon

12 Jarrod Garlett
33 Menadue
52 Clem Smith
67 Jaden Magrath
77 Reece McKEnzie

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
For 2012 it was Grundy for me, there were plenty of good reasons for this, namely our lack of support staff for Maric.

bullus_hit said:
I've ranked Grundy at the top of my list because as the old adage goes, if all things are considered even, always pick the bigman. Rucks may fit into there own category but the hit rate with top ten rucks has been pretty solid of late, and the smooth moving athletic beasts almost always emerge somewhere in the top ten.

The particularly impressive thing with Grundy has been the rate of improvement from last year. This may go largely unnoticed by some, given he was an All- Australian last year, but he seems to be adding a few more strings to his bow that weren't so obvious last year. His work below the knees is improving at a rate of knots and in the process, some comparisons with Dean Cox have begun to emerge. He moves like a midfielder and would be seen as an additional playmaker once the ball hits the turf.

His marking has also made some important strides, and although I wouldn't consider it a standout feature at present, I predict he'll become a dangerous resting forward with a few seasons under his belt. I've mentioned that he reminds me of a young Kurt Tippett and the reasons for this stem from his excellent aerial awareness and his ability to use his height to gain advantage in a contested marking situation. The overall consistency isn't quite there yet, but given he's new to the game and his learning curve has been noticeably steep, I'm predicting big things from him as he learns to ply his trade in the forward line.

At worst, I can see Grundy becoming an excellent tap ruckman who adds a significant dimension to the midfield with his running ability and quick reflexes. At best I can see him developing into an equally dangerous forward who is a formidable contested mark and someone who can score from outside 50. This will take time however, and this facet of his game should be seen as a work in progress.

Given our threadbare ruck stocks, the case for Grundy grows even stronger, he's already 100kg and will be ready to play at some stage next year. If we overlook him with pick 9, we will have our work cut out in trying to find suitable replacements for Graham and Browne.

At pick 31 I would have selected Nick Graham, so far this is looking like a marginal pick and I will concede that McIntosh is looking like the better option. Don't know why Graham has only managed 11 games but it would seem that he's well out of favour with Malthouse, perhaps it's that Carlton have too many workmanlike midfielders and Graham simply doesn't offer anything extra. I still think he deserves a decent run and playing him as sub like he was in round 6 is completely at odds with what he brings to the table. His form at reserves level has been good this season so I'm still of the opinion that his time will come.

At 33 it was Tim Membrey, he's now found a new home at the Saints but hasn't yet hit his straps. Given that he's on a 2 year contract I think the opportunities will come but he will need to be mindful of St Kilda's new generation taking over the reigns. Players like Billings, Bruce & McCartin look terrific so Membrey will need to lift a notch, I still think he can make it but my prediction of a Crameri clone seems a little distant at this stage.

FJ and I were on the same page with pick 42 although I've been very disappointed that McDonough hasn't been played as a small forward, particularly given we've been trialling Morris in that role. A square peg in a round hole seems to be an apt description for MM so lets hope he eventually gets a shot in his native position.

We traded pick 74 for Edwards and this has been classic Richmond short termism, my preferred selection here was Rory Atkins and although he hasn't yet debuted he's still at the Crows and will hopefully get a call-up in the not too distant future.

bullus_hit said:
Atkins surprised me a little, but I never really had him in contention for one of our picks. The reasons for this ultimately came down to his performance at the u/18 carnival, which was ordinary to say the least. He was also booted from the AIS which automatically raises a red flag. At his best, he's an awesome player to watch but the difference between his best and worst is huge. It sounds to me like there's a little growing up to do for Rory, at pick 80 however, he's well worth the risk. Another aspect that the Crows will need to work on is his pace, given he likes to take players on, he'll need to work on getting some more power in the legs to assist him with his trademark sidestep and dash.

Leading up to the draft I was particularly keen on Hannath to shore up our ruck stocks, in the land of hypotheticals I pass given we have already secured Grundy. At pick 8 in the rookie draft I also take Petterd, it's been no secret that I've supported this selection and for a rookie pick he's done enough despite being chronically injured for the most part. 30 games isn't the greatest return but he still has age on his side and represents decent value as a depth player.

Jackson's remaining picks of Lonergan & Stepehenson was just more of the same, simply put it reeks of Richmond's inability to uncover gems with late picks and has made me question Frank's ability as a top line recruiter. Derek Hine nailed the rookie draft, something which I highlighted in the preseason, amazingly I even undersold just how well he did. Martin didn't adjust to AFL football which happens from time to time but both Dwyer & Frost have provided significant depth to their squad. Add in Oxley and you have the perfect trifecta.

bullus_hit said:
It's called recruiting for upside and far from being content with a guy who notches up 15 possessions a match, we should be targetting guys that have the potential to chalk up 25 possessions. Out of Dwyer, Martin and Frost, only 1 will probably go on to greater things, Martin the most likely to succeed because he's 21 and big bodied. If I was to compare Dwyer & Lonergan, I would prefer the former because he was arguably the best player in the VFL lat year, he was very unlucky not to take out the Liston and seems to have greater upside.

bullus_hit said:
Like many have predicted, Collingwood have nailed the rookie draft, picking up Dwyer, Frost and Martin.

So all up it was

9. Grundy
31. Graham
33. Membrey
42. McDonough
74. Atkins

Rookie Draft

7. Petterd
22. Dwyer
41. Frost

Tiger Superstar
Feb 28, 2008
spook said:
:hihi

I'll have a crack:

I know that in 2004 I wanted Lids and Buddy because I had an argument with my brother who was dead-keen on Tambling and I yelled at him: "Richo's nearly 30! Why wouldn't we pick the new Richo!"

In 2005 I wanted
8 Mitch Clark

In 2006 I wasn't paying attention.

In 2007
2 Trent Cotchin
18 Callum Ward

In 2008
8 Jack Ziebell
26 McKernan, from memory

In 2009
3 Dusty
19 Griffiths

In 2010
6 Heppell/Darling/Lynch
30 Parker/Farmer

In 2011 I was overseas.

9 Grundy/Menzel
31 Mason Wood

12 Lennon

12 Jarrod Garlett
33 Menadue
52 Clem Smith
67 Jaden Magrath
77 Reece McKEnzie

Thanks Spook, appreciate your efforts.

Tigertough1974

Tiger Champion
Oct 1, 2013
17 said:
Thanks Spook, appreciate your efforts.

17 or anyone for that matter in the know my question is;

What if any KPIs do they recruiters have, its such a difficult position/department to measure due to the time involved to give each draft year a chance.

theres alot to consider when recruiting for list needs are considered also, id be interested in not just RFC but also the likes of NFL etc

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
here's what I was hoping for

Corey Ellis
Connor Menadue
Nathan Drummond
Daniel Butler
Reece McKenzie

Ben Lennon
Nathan Gordon
Sam Lloyd

Nick Vlastuin
Kamdyn Mcintosh
Liam Mcbean
Matthew McDonough

Brandon Ellis
Todd Elton
Matthew Arnot

Reece Conca
Jake Batchelor
Bradley Helbig
Dean MacDonald
Tom Derickx

Dustin Martin
Benjamin Griffiths
David Astbury
Matthew Dea
Troy Taylor
Jeromey Webberley
Ben Nason

before that I really didn't take much notice

Tiger Superstar
Feb 28, 2008
Tigertough1974 said:
17 or anyone for that matter in the know my question is;

What if any KPIs do they recruiters have, its such a difficult position/department to measure due to the time involved to give each draft year a chance.

theres alot to consider when recruiting for list needs are considered also, id be interested in not just RFC but also the likes of NFL etc

That's the $64m question right there Tigertough.
I asked the question of management many moons ago and it was confirmed there was no historical analysis of what went right and what didn't, and no KPI's.
In many ways the club is far advanced and more professional today than it ever has been, but I still doubt whether there is enough (any?) of the right kind of analysis and scrutiny of our recruiting department performance.
Yes there is an enormous amount of ratings data and analysis going on mapping players, but not sure it is ever aimed backwards to analyse our draft decisions and the reasons behind them.
Not as a witch hunt, but to work out how to get better.

Reactions: 1 user