2014 Hindsight Draft | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2014 Hindsight Draft

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
spook said:
I just read the article. It might have been Essendon's plan but I doubt Dalrymple would have agreed to it.

The Bombers are a joke. How long until they ask for a priority pick?

What about old mates at Carlton? Won a final two years ago, considering asking for a priority pick? You have to be joking.

What the Bombers forget is this was a penalty. By the very definition of the word you should be disadvantaged because of the draft penalties.

Dalrymple was dealing with Simple so he would have made off like a bandit. This so called deal of the century was coming from the bloke who gave us such talents in the first few rounds like Myers, Melksham, Kavanagh, Dempsey.

We may have been utter crap and worked our way beck to a neutral position but we did it on our own, with no gifts, in a era that wasn't easy to do.

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
spook said:
I haven't seen that but given Bont went at 4 and their pick would have been 10, I'm not sure how they would have managed that.

I need to correct myself on the 2014 draft. I said I would have taken Garlett at 12, but i'd forgotten Lever was still on the board. I would have taken him with pick 5.

I was also very interested in Lever, would have taken him at 12 if we didn't have such a chronic lack of pace. The thing about this kid is he is already doing triathlons, he's not particularly pacy but by the end of a match he will be running off his opponents, I think Adelaide did exceedingly well to grab him where they did.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
I was pretty keen on Durdin as well. I reckon last years draft will wash out pretty well.

B

Bill James

bullus_hit said:
Think both Scoop and I were dead keen on Blakely for our second, like Menadue but Weller is a similar type.
Noted

Stylo

Tiger Champion
Oct 13, 2012
Yeah it'll be interesting comparing the duos of Ellis + Menadue and Weller + Blakely over the years, considering we could have had either. Blakely and Weller are apparently going well in the WAFL but I'd say our boys are ahead so far.

tigerdave

Ya just gotta stand in line
Feb 1, 2006
Stylo said:
Yeah it'll be interesting comparing the duos of Ellis + Menadue and Weller + Blakely over the years, considering we could have had either. Blakely and Weller are apparently going well in the WAFL but I'd say our boys are ahead so far.

Yep!

Gus

Tiger Matchwinner
Oct 18, 2005
spook said:
I just read the article. It might have been Essendon's plan but I doubt Dalrymple would have agreed to it.

The Bombers are a joke. How long until they ask for a priority pick?

It would have more likely been Jason McCartney standing in the way of that deal not Simon Dalrymple. The Dogs knew what they were holding with pick 4 and didn't waiver from pick 26 being the only deal offered for Crameri. It will be interesting to see if there is any residual bad will from that deal if the Dogs are actually interested in Carlisle this year. Essendon would be keen to get one back on the Dogs.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Gus said:
It would have more likely been Jason McCartney standing in the way of that deal not Simon Dalrymple. The Dogs knew what they were holding with pick 4 and didn't waiver from pick 26 being the only deal offered for Crameri. It will be interesting to see if there is any residual bad will from that deal if the Dogs are actually interested in Carlisle this year. Essendon would be keen to get one back on the Dogs.
Cheers, Gus, You should post more often! Who do you like this year?

Gus

Tiger Matchwinner
Oct 18, 2005
spook said:
Cheers, Gus, You should post more often! Who do you like this year?
Josh Schache. The junior football discussions have dropped back a fair bit over the last couple of years so it's a bit harder to join in.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Gus said:
Josh Schache. The junior football discussions have dropped back a fair bit over the last couple of years so it's a bit harder to join in.
He is a beauty, the big lump.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Gus said:
Gotta be the son of the great Laurence, surely.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Gus said:

I think he is a better prospect than McCartin who went at one last year. More mobile and suprinsingly good lateral movement. In five years I think Schache can do some rucking.

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
bullus_hit said:
Onto 2013 and the need for speed. I pumped up Taylor for months only to be the last man standing in his defence, eventually I conceded defeat knowing all too well Richmond don't recruit short players, it's a shame too because many have slipped down the order for no other reason other than height.

As you may recall Leysy wasn't enamoured by Taylor in his draft year and thought the hype was over the top even last season. This article explains why bully.

He'll have to change his game to remain relevant ILO.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/lewis-taylor-runs-around-in-circles-and-doesnt-hurt-the-opposition-says-afl-analyst/story-fni5f4q3-1227413387908

SOMETHING peculiar happened to Lewis Taylor last Saturday night.

The Western Bulldogs seemed to let the reigning Rising Star winner roam the Etihad Stadium wing by himself.

It wasn’t because the Brisbane Lions pocket rocket forgets to use deodorant, but a sign that some clubs don’t respect him.

As harsh as it sounds, that was what one AFL analyst said after watching the Lions’ 72-point loss from the stands.

“He gets the ball and runs around in circles, but he certainly doesn’t hurt you,” he said.

“Taylor had the equal-most kicks (18) and disposals (26) on the ground, but would the Bulldogs have overly minded?”

At one stage Jarrad Grant went to man up Taylor but, after appearing to notice who it was, he turned around and ran to half-back as a spare.

Champion Data numbers show Taylor, 20, gains just 20m per kick — the lowest among the AFL’s top 100 ball winners.

That means his average kick barely travels the minimum distance for a mark.

He kicks short 78 per cent of the time — ranked No. 2 in the league’s top 100 kickers — and 76 per cent of Taylor’s possessions are won uncontested.

Lewis Taylor “runs around in circles”, according to one AFL analyst who watches him play last week. Picture: Darren England
Only three players win more of their ball outside and they include creative half-backs Matt Suckling (Hawthorn) and Bob Murphy (Bulldogs).
A premiership great noted: “Taylor is crabbing sideways, a bit like Nick Dal Santo when he started his career. (Taylor) gets it and everyone just sort of shuffles to the side, which you don’t mind.”

Analysts said it might not be Taylor’s fault. He might be following instructions after building a reputation as a creative type who could win the ball.

The Mortlake product — who pipped Bulldog Marcus Bontempelli by one vote in last year’s Rising Star — won 39 per cent of his disposals contested while playing for Vic Country in 2013.

The Lions retain 63 per cent of Taylor’s kicks — above the league average — but he is averaging only five contested disposals this season and the Lions have lost the count every game.

Taylor’s numbers have grown impressively in 2015 and while fancied teammates James Aish and Sam Mayes have spent time in the NEAFL, he is one of 10 Lions to have played every game.

His highlight against the Dogs was when he tackled Jason Johannisen, won the ball, handballed, kept going and finished an impressive solo piece with his sixth goal of the season.

Taylor also has dodged second- year blues. Not so Aish, Gold Coast’s Kade Kolodjashnij and North Melbourne’s Luke McDonald.

After the Dogs loss Lions coach Justin Leppitsch bemoaned a lack of leadership and experienced talls.

With the league’s biggest debt, a decimated list and a recent talent drain, the club’s run home looks long. Especially if Lewy Taylor has the pill.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Don't necessarily see that as a reason to down grade on Taylor.
Sounds more like he's desperately in need of support from other so called elite players in his team. Bloke called Cotchin was soundly bagged up last year for going the cheap round the back one two n dinky kicks to nothing n no-one.
If the overall team structure n system is breaking down badly, players who manage to somehow get the ball often have no available support to provide functional use and wind up being ineffective accumulators.

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Taylor can win the hardball, in his junior year he was averaging 39%, just like the article suggests he may be playing to instruction. Not fussed on his development and I think he will become more damaging as he gains more experience. Still think he will be a 10 year player.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Hurt factor was my question around him. Was better last year but that article doesn't paint a great picture.

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003
That Jack steele is a ball tearer

I d love to know when his father played 100 games for GWS ;D

*sigh*

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
We were keen on Jack Stelle. It's a good sign. I think we made a bid.

We defintley made a bid for Laim Dawson with our second round pick. I'm pretty happy we missed & get Menadue.