2021 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 Draft Thread

Spirit of Jack

Only a Tiger premiership can make 2020 a good year
Apr 19, 2004
We need mids with class and strength to remain near the top...our current young mids all have a B grade ceiling...we need A graders. I can't imagine that there will be too many of that ilk unless this is a super draft. Unfortunately these A graders typically go in the top 5 - so we are going to have to get very lucky - I'm hopeful but this could easily be another 2004 style 'draft haul' for us if we don't nail every pick.

Reactions: 1 user

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
I want a mid at 7 or 4. Ideally one of Ward/Hobbs then one of JVR/NWM at 15.

I'm a huge JVR fan. Have been for a while.
Ward and JVR would be a dream result.
Everything after that a bonus.
Would be nice to get Buzzo or Williams too as added protection.
I don’t see Amiss as our priority solution this year.

Reactions: 3 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
indulge me to double post this 3rd-coffee-revelation in here, cause I think its relevant,

especially to the mid'o'philes ......

If 2017 was defined by midgets,

2021 was defined by a plodding, underperforming forward line.

somehow, Goodwin has romped a premiership without a forward line.

Putting Fritch aside,

Brown, McDonald, Neale-Bullen, Pickett, Spargo

did absolutely nothing of consequence, when it counted.

thats 4/6ths, or 2/3rds of a forward line that aren't much good at the best of times, none of who played well in the GF, 1/6th a star who completely and utterly choked and had no influence on the game, and 1/6th All Australian who played a blinder.

Dees have convincing, emphatically, deservedly won the premiership,

without a forward line.

Are forward lines dead? Do you just need 1 forward?

is the game for goal kicking mids and dominant ruckman and a clinical backline?
Neal-Buller, Brown and Spargo were good.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Neal-Buller, Brown and Spargo were good.

I'll give you Brown and review the tape.

rightly or wrongly, I always judge 'good', from the period where the game is in the balance. (i.e. last quarter performance in this instance irrelevant)

Edit: I'll give you Neale Bullen too, but no way Spargo. 7 disposals, 1 tackle.

Last edited:

Spirit of Jack

Only a Tiger premiership can make 2020 a good year
Apr 19, 2004
Is Tyler Sonsie a legitimate option for our first round pick? He seemed to have been a really highly rated mid coming into this year who has been overtaken by others e.g. Ward, Callaghan, Hobbs, Erasmus, Johnson, Roberts to name a few...

Also I keep hearing about the midfielder depth of this draft, but surely these guys can't all be potential A graders?

Reactions: 1 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
I'll give you Brown and review the tape.

rightly or wrongly, I always judge 'good', from the period where the game is in the balance. (i.e. last quarter performance in this instance irrelevant)

Edit: I'll give you Neale Bullen too, but no way Spargo. 7 disposals, 1 tackle.
Ok, I'd had a few beers and a really nice 2012 Wynns Black Label Cab Sav with my brother, and we agreed Spargo was good... compared to Kozi. o_O

Is Tyler Sonsie a legitimate option for our first round pick?
Yes.

Reactions: 3 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
indulge me to double post this 3rd-coffee-revelation in here, cause I think its relevant,

Putting Fritch aside,

thats 4/6ths, or 2/3rds of a forward line that aren't much good at the best of times, none of who played well in the GF, 1/6th a star who completely and utterly choked and had no influence on the game, and 1/6th All Australian who played a blinder.

without a forward line.

Woofers didn't have much of a forward line in 16. We didn't have much of a forward line in 17, apologies to Jaaack of course. The old school traditional goal kicking key forward is pretty much dead these days. It's all about multiple entries, having someone big who can at least bring the air ball to ground, a mobile marking flanker n a host of swarming mids n crumbing opportunist smalls. The most dangerous teams usually seem to have anywhere from 8 to 12 goal kickers per game. 5 goals is deemed a dominant bag these days whereas the key forwards used to average 5 or more per game over the course of a season.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Ward and JVR would be a dream result.
Everything after that a bonus.
Would be nice to get Buzzo or Williams too as added protection.
I don’t see Amiss as our priority solution this year.

From what I've seen (admittedly not a huge amount), Ward and JVR would be perfect for us. If we think they are both that good, then I'd be happy to take them early.

I feel like we might look to take the Adelaide pick 4 to get the best choice of whoever we want. We can trade for the Dogs Pick 17 then 15 and 17 into Pick 4. Adelaide get a better return from that, than what they could get by dealing directly with Sydney.

It will be interesting to see what we do. If we get 4, I could actually seeing us potentially trading 7 back a couple of spots if we get the right trade. West Coast could be the option if they want to get in front of the Freo bid for whoever they are targeting (probably Erasmus or Amiss I suspect).

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Watching live yesterday, Van Rooyen would be my number 1 target, Avery looked a likely type too.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
If it’s true we are after GC or Crows first pick it must mean MC has his eyes on one particular player that we have to jump the que on, not wanting the best of the rest .

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
From what I've seen (admittedly not a huge amount), Ward and JVR would be perfect for us. If we think they are both that good, then I'd be happy to take them early.

I feel like we might look to take the Adelaide pick 4 to get the best choice of whoever we want. We can trade for the Dogs Pick 17 then 15 and 17 into Pick 4. Adelaide get a better return from that, than what they could get by dealing directly with Sydney.

It will be interesting to see what we do. If we get 4, I could actually seeing us potentially trading 7 back a couple of spots if we get the right trade. West Coast could be the option if they want to get in front of the Freo bid for whoever they are targeting (probably Erasmus or Amiss I suspect).

If we could get a 3rd in the top 20 if we get 4 I think it would be great. Getting say Ward, JVR and maybe Rachele / Sonsie as big upside prospects, or Hobbs if we go with the contested beats scenario it would probably be perfect for us.

I've been wondering what the Giants do with their picks. I think they hold onto the Pies pick (2) but I'm not sure about their 2nd (currently pick 13 but will be pick 15). They have Fahey from their academy who they will want to take but their next pick is only Pick 50. Not sure if they are likely to trade anyone out, the meeja have been very quiet on any Giants being traded this year so suspect there isn't a lot.

So what do they do, take someone else with their 2nd, then take a deficit into 2022 which could be off their 1st or 2nd, or do they consider trading down their Pick 13 (15) for 2 picks in the 20's. Potentially could also get us up the order? Who knows what the Giants plans are

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
They will draft skinny athletic types guaranteed.
Can we at least select a mark Coglhan type?
Thats what we need
Zips have you considered that we might change our game plan given the rule changes and start to hear to a more contested ball winning side?
I agree we've had a bias for what you're suggesting in the past somewhat (but not entirely- see Graham, Ross, Martyn, RCD), but the rules might mean we need a different type than we currently have. Just a thought.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I think whats clear is the Tigers are going to be aggressive this year to trade up the draft order. We will not have 6 spots on the list, and may end up with even 8 picks (if we get FA compo for Chol and get a pick for CJ). I think we will go in with 4 live trades in the ND and either take someone that we like that slides in the RD or we will not take anyone in the RD and save that spot for either the SSP or the MSD. Now things might change if we trade anyone else out (Pickett or Caddy probably the most likely) or trade someone else in (a mid).

Its pretty clear that our draft hand will change a lot, I could actually see us ending up with none of the picks we go into the trade period with and end up with a completely different hand.

Reactions: 4 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
I want a mid at 7 or 4. Ideally one of Ward/Hobbs then one of JVR/NWM at 15.

I'm a huge JVR fan. Have been for a while.
Scoop if we snare a Ward or Hobbs / JVR combo then we are on the way to a very good draft haul.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
If it’s true we are after GC or Crows first pick it must mean MC has his eyes on one particular player that we have to jump the que on, not wanting the best of the rest .
Yep. Ward, Hobbs or Gibcus.

My guess it’s one of the first 2.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008

Putting Fritch aside,

without a forward line.

No and no.

• Haha

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Jay Clark in the HeraldSun's live chat:

"I'm told the Tigers have an interest in Ben Hobbs in this year's draft. Competitive midfielder who loves to have a crack.

To get him the Tigers would have to move up from 7 to 3. So, I think there is a big chance there is a deal here between the Suns and Tigers, but plenty to play out."

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019

"I'm told the Tigers have an interest in Ben Hobbs in this year's draft. Competitive midfielder who loves to have a crack.

To get him the Tigers would have to move up from 7 to 3. So, I think there is a big chance there is a deal here between the Suns and Tigers, but plenty to play out."

is that good?

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018

It appears that in order to get the player we all want, we’re going to have to trade down to at least pick 5. (Excluding father sons)

1632641610831.jpeg

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang

Makes sense