2021 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 Draft Thread

jokershoppe

Tiger Champion
Feb 17, 2008
Is Tyler Sonsie a legitimate option for our first round pick? He seemed to have been a really highly rated mid coming into this year who has been overtaken by others e.g. Ward, Callaghan, Hobbs, Erasmus, Johnson, Roberts to name a few...

Also I keep hearing about the midfielder depth of this draft, but surely these guys can't all be potential A graders?
Only because of lack of games,I rate Sonsie level with ward personally.

Rfc4Ever

Tiger Legend
Oct 5, 2007
All for being proactive to get our target/s.

If Hobbs is the man, we should be able to still have another 1st round pick with our draft capital this year especially with CCJ and Chol going

Reactions: 1 user

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Now how do we get pick 3.

Gold Coast want that pick split.

Pick 7 has to be thrown in. Does it get packaged with 15 or would we get away with Pick 26?

Rfc4Ever

Tiger Legend
Oct 5, 2007

Pick 7 has to be thrown in. Does it get packaged with 15 or would we get away with Pick 26?

Gee, having 3 & 7 could be huge.
Even if both are mids or a mid & KP player.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Jay Clark in the HeraldSun's live chat:

"I'm told the Tigers have an interest in Ben Hobbs in this year's draft. Competitive midfielder who loves to have a crack.

To get him the Tigers would have to move up from 7 to 3. So, I think there is a big chance there is a deal here between the Suns and Tigers, but plenty to play out."
Easy. Cholly n 7 for 3. It's about time they looked after us a bit after they've pinched Snipper, Bobble, Jar Head n Lego off us over the last few years.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Tortured Tiger

Junior Development - The Tigers key to success !!
Jan 24, 2005
Yes. Mission accomplished if we end up with either Hobbs or Ward.

Hobbs by all accounts is ready to go next year.
I would be disappointed to trade up and get Hobbs to be honest. Solid player but I prefer Ward from what I have seen.

Reactions: 1 users

gehring

Tiger Rookie
Oct 16, 2006
I watched the Qld vs Tas U19 game and was impressed by the two Tas. onballers. Davis and Walter. I know a little about Davis he is tough, a ball magnet and young but the knock on him was speed (11.2). Walter looked better, fast and a very good kick, almost won it for Tas. in the last. Is there anyone on the Board who knows something about this kid? Would put him ahead of Bohdi on first glance.

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW

Pick 3 value is 2234
Pick 7 value is 1644

Difference is 590 or pick 30/31

We can keep pick 7. Gold Coast has picks 19 and 22

If we get 20 from Norf for CCJ and we trade with Bulldogs for their 17 we could do 15 + 17 + 20 for 3 + 22 close to similar points marginally in GC favour.

Gives us 3, 7, 22, 26, 28

Bulldogs trade would take 40 and 44 plus either the Chol compo if it is end second round or pick 28. Also need a late pick for Tarrant

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Pick 3 value is 2234
Pick 7 value is 1644

If we get 20 from Norf for CCJ and we trade with Bulldogs for their 17 we could do 15 + 17 + 20 for 3 + 22 close to similar points marginally in GC favour.

Bulldogs trade would take 40 and 44 plus either the Chol compo if it is end second round or pick 28. Also need a late pick for Tarrant
The big question TP is why goldie want to do the swap?
By reports they are not delisting heavily. Will only take in the minimum changes.
Do they not rate the top tier?
Or it's a furphy and they'll only trade for a current player or pick next year?
Or have someone in mind that will be available later? I'm thinking it's Conway or Williams from WA or both. That's what I'm hoping

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Pick 3 value is 2234
Pick 7 value is 1644

Is it purely about points or more to do with getting a couple of first rounds picks because the draft is fairly even?

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
The big question TP is why goldie want to do the swap?
By reports they are not delisting heavily. Will only take in the minimum changes.
Do they not rate the top tier?
Or it's a furphy and they'll only trade for a current player or pick next year?
Or have someone in mind that will be available later? I'm thinking it's Conway or Williams from WA or both. That's what I'm hoping
Dont know why GC would want to trade. There has been media reports that thry are interested in dealing.
We can only go off our own investigation into the draft hopefuls this year. We do need to reset the list with an eye to the next 10 years and post the current stars. And we did load up on picks for this year. So we rate our chances this year.
With that in mind we should get as many high end picks we can. I am also open to bringing next year's pick forward to this year given we will be set to go for top 4 next year. We can maxmise the value of next year's pick given everyone else thinks the era is over.
We are only guessing in this thread. Going to be interesting how we unfold our plan. Can see a chance at multiple top 20 picks.

Reactions: 2 users

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
Is it purely about points or more to do with getting a couple of first rounds picks because the draft is fairly even?

Good question and thankfully we have some proven recruiters to answer the question.

Even if the 5 to 30 picks are considered pretty much equal it pays to have early picks so you can pick from the greater pool and not getting the left overs. You know like the picking teams at school

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I don't quite get Gold Coasts plans either as they already have a fairly full list.

I assume the will to trade means that the priority pick at the end of the 1st round is not heading to the GC (which is good for everyone else.), but even without that they have, 3, 22, 43 and 55. Maybe they won't use either of the late ones and still want 3 picks in the draft.

I still think a trade for Adelaides pick 4 makes a bit more sense than Pick 3 for both teams. The Adelaide in particular, may not require the need for Pick 7 which may not be the case with the Gold Coast one.

Ideally we want Pick 7 and one of 3 or 4.

Reactions: 4 users