2021 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 Draft Thread

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Im yet to watch the 2nd half but what I saw of JVR was enough to back up what I've seen previously.
I might be alone here but I really do think this draft might be super even.
Exposed form is one thing but when the draft comes along there will be names that no ones talked about being put forth.
FWIW I dont think Daicos is a standout footballer, accumulator yes but is he the real deal?
Very even bunch but that could be due to lack of exposure aswell.
For all the hype & in particular the price the Pies will have to pay to get him their fans would want him to be the real deal.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Don’t think “we” all think that.
That’s my point.
One thing “we” do know is that talls take longer.
And they’re our greater need
This is all well & good but they need to be the right talls, not just taking them because they are talls.

Reactions: 1 users

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
True.
But they’ll need to get in front of Dow, RCD, Ralphsmith, Ross and possibly a couple of others in Martyn and Cumberland.
They’d want to be good first year players.

As SA just mentioned, maybe Hobbs is the obvious choice
Pick 7 should give us our best young mid

Tortured Tiger

Junior Development - The Tigers key to success !!
Jan 24, 2005
This is all well & good but they need to be the right talls, not just taking them because they are talls.
Yes exactly, nothing wrong with the theory but I don’t think this is the right draft for stock piling talls. Simply best available for at least our first three picks. If the recruiters thinks that’s a tall then great, if not we will just have to be patient. Unfortunately I don’t think there is a Petracca, Oliver or Riewoldt in this draft class. Not too many super stars to be found but should be some handy players.

Last edited:

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
They will draft skinny athletic types guaranteed.
Can we at least select a mark Coglhan type?
Thats what we need

jokershoppe

Tiger Champion
Feb 17, 2008
Yes exactly, nothing wrong with the theory but I don’t think this is the right draft for stock piling talls. Simply best available for at least our first three picks. If the recruiters thinks that’s a tall then great, if not we will just have to be patient. Unfortunately I don’t think there is a Petracca, Oliver or Riewoldt in this draft class. Not too many super stars to be found but should be some handy players.
Oliver wasn't picked in state side and only bloomed after all the young gun mids played in the state comp and actually got his opportunity,was not even going to get drafted by mid season,so if his draft year was 2021,he would never have even been drafted due to never playing.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
JVR was sound down back without being spectacular then goes forward and jags the winner. Something about him.

Footballer.

there was also a moment in the 2nd quarter, before I knew who he was,

where he leaves his man in defence and hits a contest full pelt,

bowls over the opposite, and exits with ball.

I thought 'wow, this No.29 is my kind of kid. big, tough, fast and fearless'

he IS our man, as much as Jack Rewoildt was in 2006

how likely is he to be at our pick?

Its JVR all the way

I love the moment I settle on a first pick.

if we get JVR and NWM (what a shame he's not Nesiah Wanganeen-Ashcroft?),

I reckon I would spontaneously ejaculate in my boardies

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007

Its JVR all the way

I reckon I would spontaneously ejaculate in my boardies
Matt Clarke will be crossing fingers and toes that JVR is there at 15.

Reactions: 1 user
Feb 25, 2007
Oliver wasn't picked in state side and only bloomed after all the young gun mids played in the state comp and actually got his opportunity,was not even going to get drafted by mid season,so if his draft year was 2021,he would never have even been drafted due to never playing.

We all knew how good Oliver was getting closer to the draft, many on this board were hoping he would make it to our pick. Some questioned his disposal but his ball getting ability was unbelievable.

The herald sun article from 2015 also stated that> The Tigers wanted him at pick 12 and, as Oliver rattled to the line, he also won the TAC Cup league medal. That can be a warning sign.

WHEN Melbourne traded up from pick No. 6 to No. 3 in the national draft, it did not have Clayton Oliver in its sights.
In fact, when Oliver started the season as a heavy onballer he didn’t even have Tuesday night’s AFL draft in his sights.

Oliver was not even selected for this year’s under-18 national carnival after Vic Country decided he was not up to the required standard.
The Mooroopna youngster had crossed from Bendigo Pioneers to Murray Bushrangers this year, battled osteitis pubis pre-season and planned on returning to the TAC Cup as a 19-year-old next season to push his AFL chances.
So how did he come to wake up the next day the happiest Demon in the world — crowned the best midfielder in the open draft?
It has been a remarkable rise, a bolt towards the top like we have never seen before.
Oliver’s twist began after the Country snub. As the TAC Cup standard dropped, his numbers, fitness and confidence dramatically rose.
A powerful inside midfielder who was also deployed as a dangerous marking forward, Murray Bushrangers coach Darren Ogier said there wasn’t a player who could compete with Oliver’s strength over the ball.
“He took the competition apart,” Ogier said.

“There was no one who could match Clayton for strength — not even (strong GWS on-baller) Jacob Hopper.”

Oliver dominated the TAC Cup after he was overlooked by Vic Country. Picture: Getty Images

Oliver dominated the TAC Cup after he was overlooked by Vic Country. Picture: Getty Images

Interestingly, Ogier will follow Oliver to the Demons after winning a development role.
Recruiters believe Oliver could be the next Ollie Wines.
“They both have big, thick bodies, big long kicks and great attack at man and ball — powerful midfielders with good speed,” one expert said.
Like Wines, Oliver boasts a big frame and held his own in two VFL games for Richmond, returning to the Bushrangers believing this could be his year, most likely as a late draft pick.
“He just had that look in his eye,” Bushrangers talent manager Lee Fraser said.
Oliver’s confidence just kept growing. In the final five TAC Cup games he produced three best-afields and was twice runner-up.
The Tigers wanted him at pick 12 and, as Oliver rattled to the line, he also won the TAC Cup league medal. That can be a warning sign.

Tortured Tiger

Junior Development - The Tigers key to success !!
Jan 24, 2005
Yes I remember going to watch him in Wangaratta and he kicked 4 goals that day. I knew he was talented but never thought he would turn out this good. Unfortunately stories like that are pretty rare but we can only hope.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004

Its JVR all the way

I reckon I would spontaneously ejaculate in my boardiesI
I want a mid at 7 or 4. Ideally one of Ward/Hobbs then one of JVR/NWM at 15.

I'm a huge JVR fan. Have been for a while.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
indulge me to double post this 3rd-coffee-revelation in here, cause I think its relevant,

especially to the mid'o'philes ......

If 2017 was defined by midgets,

2021 was defined by a plodding, underperforming forward line.

somehow, Goodwin has romped a premiership without a forward line.

Putting Fritch aside,

Brown, McDonald, Neale-Bullen, Pickett, Spargo

did absolutely nothing of consequence, when it counted.

thats 4/6ths, or 2/3rds of a forward line that aren't much good at the best of times, none of who played well in the GF, 1/6th a star who completely and utterly choked and had no influence on the game, and 1/6th All Australian who played a blinder.

Dees have convincing, emphatically, deservedly won the premiership,

without a forward line.

Are forward lines dead? Do you just need 1 forward?

is the game for goal kicking mids and dominant ruckman and a clinical backline?