2021 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 Draft Thread

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Points wise 3 for 15 and 17 favours us by about 100 (2234 v 2137)

However if you look at wjere the actual pick would fall 5 for 17 and 19 it then favours GC (1878 v 1973)
I dont think the points system is the main criteria. Most clubs seem to favour a top 5 or top 10 (changing each year depending on the draftee list)
Being equal on points helps them with the haggle, getting the final deal. Eg throw in a 3rd as well- nah on points we only need to give a 4th.

But the main part of the deal has to be win win.
A top 3 for 2x late first round? Not equal.
Unless GC have a specific need (rucks) that will be around then.
Even clubs desperate for a lot of quality, such as crows and North were in the last couple of years haven't wanted to downsell their top 5 pick.

I can't see the suns being interested.
Crows yes

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Been some good players drafted at 15
Jesus i would be very disappointed if we traded upto 3 for Hobbs

I would rather hold #7 and take 1 of Erasmus / Ward / NWM

Just give me Erasmus / Goater / JVR / Bazzo / Long and ill be thinking its Xmas
Agree, I'd rather we keep 7 & 15.

There's been some good players drafted at 15, including, Cody Weightman, Jordan Clark, Zac Bailey, Dan Rioli, Z Jones, Brando, R Tarrant, Varcoe, L Dunn and Chaplin.

Reactions: 1 users

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004
Some suggestions that CJ happy to go to GC if trade with North cant be done. If true may make getting 3 and keeping other early picks a lot easier.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

T-Shirt Tommy

Have you got the oven on?
Apr 11, 2011
Some suggestions that CJ happy to go to GC if trade with North cant be done. If true may make getting 3 and keeping other early picks a lot easier.
Hope this is the case but I don't buy it.

CCJ would have committed to North regardless whether we get a trade done or not.

Reactions: 1 users

Rfc4Ever

Tiger Legend
Oct 5, 2007
Would love to get #20 for CCJ and maybe a later pick but North don't owe anyone anything and the AFL will knock them back on a compo pick for poor form.

Unless they have another target or wait to see what is leftover in the draft, don't be surprised if he walks to PSD

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014

CCJ would have committed to North regardless whether we get a trade done or not.
I think relationships with Player Managers are crucial and matter more than ever.

Do the right thing by the players who want to leave by playing fair with the trade. This means you are doing the right thing by their managers - who have either helped counsel them to leave and/or said the deal can get done. Managers dont want to be embarrased with deals for their clients falling through or being sweat on till the last 10 mins of the last day. So, play fair when letting go of Higgins, Butler, B. Ellis, Markov, Conca, Deledio, etc.

On the other side, play fair with the trade for players coming in (Prestia, Lynch, Caddy, etc), by making sure you give up a fair price for what the player is worth / meet the $ promised rather than dragging the trade out by being too stingy. Richmond are known as getting the deals done I think.

The Manager is the one who tells the player 'dont worry, you will get to <Club X>'.
Managers hate the Dunkley, Papley scenarios I think. And very few want the PSD option.

Players talk and recommend Managers. It's a bit of a closed industry - only 2-3 serious companies but cut throat between TLA, Connor Sports and I forgot the 3rd company? There's also 'niche' player our man Ralphy Carr. And Pickering, the flog.

Lets hope CCJ's Manager at TLA helps convince North that they made the play and need to get a fair deal done.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Matt Rendell on trade radio talking about GWS taking Mac Andrew with their first pick.

I've had him floating around in the top 8 for a while but not that high.

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016

Players don't go all in like they did in the old days. Its designed to generate a fair outcome. Watch this space - pick 20 will be ours or CJ will be a GC

Reactions: 2 users

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Matt Rendell on trade radio talking about GWS taking Mac Andrew with their first pick.

If that's true watch the seagulls swarm for GC's pick which would then be Callaghan

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019

that would be the best outcome for everyone involved, so it's plausible.

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014
And just confirmed that GCS get Pick 19 - with no caveats. Can be swapped, traded, etc

• Dislike
  • Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 6 users

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014
St KIlda may need picks for their academy boys but dont have them. Could they split 9?
AFL.com also reporting that the saints want more picks - Long is up for trade maybe.
But they want later picks b/c after 9, their next pick is 46. I think they have 2 academy players they may need to bid for in the 20s.

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014
Gold Coast rewarded for underperforming. Joke.
From AFL.com

The pick was originally handed to the club at the end of 2019 as part of the AFL's concession package to help the struggling Suns, which included the No.1 pick to grab Matt Rowell that season, with the AFL able to review the allowances every year.

But the AFL has decided the Suns will hold the selection this year without any caveats or restrictions, meaning the club can either use it as part of any trade or take it to November's draft.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007

You lost me at Matt Rendell.

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users