2021 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 Draft Thread

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
The Bullies should be very very pleased, could well win the Premiership and secure the no1 pick, making it 2 years in a row.
I cant see them winning it this year - they are well placed for a dominate era though. Best players are all under 25

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Yeah is that good or bad?
Dunno. Must say, I'm a little surprised. Starting doing some research on the crop and it is almost universally accepted he is in the top 20. I still have him firmly in the mix for one of our first two picks at this stage.

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
Dunno. Must say, I'm a little surprised. Starting doing some research on the crop and it is almost universally accepted he is in the top 20. I still have him firmly in the mix for one of our first two picks at this stage.
What's your take on the first round? Seems to be accepted that Daicos and Horne are a level above everyone else, but how deep are the next tranches of talent?

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
What's your take on the first round? Seems to be accepted that Daicos and Horne are a level above everyone else, but how deep are the next tranches of talent?
Without seeing the champs yet, it's still early doors. There are some SA boys who have shown some really good form at SANFL that have me intrigued.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
U19 national carnival now put on hold. Even without the champs (and worst case scenario there will be a shortened carnival at the backend of the year) there is way more exposed form than last years draft. That state leagues have all played decent chunks of football and don't look like stopping for too long.

Reactions: 1 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
If we were to trade for the Dogs 1st (say trade them 30, 40 and 48 - our 2nd and 3rd and the suns 3rd) and get Pick 17 and their 3rd next year back, we would end up with 11, 15, 17 and 25 I think based on current ladder positions.

Looking at Cal Twomeys list we could get Sonsie, Amiss, Ward and potentially Van Rooyen with that haul. Sounds like they could be handy players for those picks.

Reactions: 1 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
With our window still open, i hope we have 2 bob each way.

grab some kids and trade for jacob hopper,

who is the most obvious out of contract cotchy replacement attempt

Reactions: 4 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
U19 national carnival now put on hold. Even without the champs (and worst case scenario there will be a shortened carnival at the backend of the year) there is way more exposed form than last years draft. That state leagues have all played decent chunks of football and don't look like stopping for too long.

an U17 source suggested they'lle try play a series( 2 or 3) ofopportunistic games over the next couple of months.

i suppose dictated by who can travel where?

u19s may do the same.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Anyone know anything about this guy?

Saw him listed as being part of our NGA.

Achaung Agog (Rich NGA)- Murray - 192cm 78kg

Reactions: 1 user

Tortured Tiger

Junior Development - The Tigers key to success !!
Jan 24, 2005
Anyone know anything about this guy?

Saw him listed as being part of our NGA.

Achaung Agog (Rich NGA)- Murray - 192cm 78kg
I am watching the Murray Bushrangers tomorrow, hopefully he will be playing and I can give you some feedback.

Reactions: 2 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
an U17 source suggested they'lle try play a series( 2 or 3) ofopportunistic games over the next couple of months.

i suppose dictated by who can travel where?

u19s may do the same.
Under 17's playing on Monday in Bendigo.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Under 17's playing on Monday in Bendigo.

metro V country?

Qld V Taz was scheduled for Monday.

Hopefully they can play in the next couple of weeks.

its a real shame. these kids only really have 12 months left to show what they've got, after no 16's last year, they've worked their arses off, overcome injury, sacrificed school and girlfriends etc,

and they're locked up.

I know everyones got Covid hardship and lost opportunity everywhere, and death and funerals are worse,

but some of these kids have really copped it.

and when they do play, they have to play the VFL density rule, which they *smile* hate and really does not help young footballers show what they can do, other than have a talent for musical chairs.

whinge over. debriefed.

Reactions: 3 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
metro V country?

Qld V Taz was scheduled for Monday.

Hopefully they can play in the next couple of weeks.

its a real shame. these kids only really have 12 months left to show what they've got, after no 16's last year, they've worked their arses off, overcome injury, sacrificed school and girlfriends etc,

and they're locked up.

I know everyones got Covid hardship and lost opportunity everywhere, and death and funerals are worse,

but some of these kids have really copped it.

and when they do play, they have to play the VFL density rule, which they *smile* hate and really does not help young footballers show what they can do, other than have a talent for musical chairs.

whinge over. debriefed.
Yep definitely Vic Metro. Not sure who they are playing.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
I think with six picks inside 50, you can try and address both. You won’t get 6 right but you can take a couple of talls and a glut of ball winning mids. But for me we need the mids first, midfield improvement makes every line look better.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I think with six picks inside 50, you can try and address both. You won’t get 6 right but you can take a couple of falls and a glut of ball winning mids. But for me we need the mids first, midfield improvement makes every line look better.

yep in Balta and Lynch we have 5 years of book ends. we're sorted for rucks.

and we know how to colour in the blank margins with role players with rookies and mid season drafts.

I agree, conjure up the post-Shocking/Dusty forward game plan

and collect the mids that can execute it in the draft,

trade for Jacob Hopper, and draft 4-5 tough mids with engines.

I'd stick with the brief of ignoring the fashionable, polished mids, who get 30 week in week out against other kids.

I hope we keep our concept of blue-chip differentiated from everyone else, within reason.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Cal Tombstone having Tyler Sonsie outside the top 10 was really interesting to me. And Ben Hobbs sounds like what we need.

Reactions: 1 user