2021 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 Draft Thread

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
The first thing to look at is if they are good enough regardless of height, but if they are up to standard and have some extra strings to their bow then why not, especially if it is something we don't have. Top class midfielders have come in all shapes and sizes over the years.
Yeah, of course. But that's different to saying "we have to get one of these 190+ guys". We don't, unless they're good enough.

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Not unhappy with that as a strategy but personally, I’m just so-so on Milera. Think he has a larger risk factor than others around him. Butler a different story. Quite amazing how different he is to Dan.
He's 50/50 & that's just historical fact, you may get lucky however & produce a precocious talent like Edwards. If we manage to grab three predominantly inside players then I personally don't mind throwing him into the mix. I think the blend of players is just as important as getting best 22 quality players.

Butler versus Wanganeen-Milera? I take the latter I think.................................unless you have some inside intel?

Tortured Tiger

Junior Development - The Tigers key to success !!
Jan 24, 2005
Yeah, of course. But that's different to saying "we have to get one of these 190+ guys". We don't, unless they're good enough.
I certainly haven't said must get but if it came to our third or fourth pick and we rated a 180cm and 19ocm player as equal I would hope we take the 190cm guy for the extra versatility he would give us.

bengal tigers

Tiger Superstar
Apr 29, 2015
Tall mids with aerial ability & a burst from the stoppage tend to have higher ceilings, Bont the best example but there's others like Yeo (although a lengthy project) & Fyfe who have multiple weapons in attack.

Goater is the player with the biggest upside in this regard, with an 80cm standing vertical jump and 2.92sec/20 metre sprint he has the tools, now it's just a question of fine tuning his skills. He can definitely get lifted.
Goater seems to play good football as a intercepting back man ,he might become a wing at Afl level.
Im not a fan of the combine,a lot of top player's haven't tested well,, club's use it more as a meet and greet ,although this year they might check on how the Vic boys are looking after themselves.

Reactions: 1 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Tall mids with aerial ability & a burst from the stoppage tend to have higher ceilings, Bont the best example but there's others like Yeo (although a lengthy project) & Fyfe who have multiple weapons in attack.

Goater is the player with the biggest upside in this regard, with an 80cm standing vertical jump and 2.92sec/20 metre sprint he has the tools, now it's just a question of fine tuning his skills. He can definitely get lifted.
Any chance Goater drifts to one of our picks in the 20's? Could his kicking be the issue with recruiters?

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
He's 50/50 & that's just historical fact, you may get lucky however & produce a precocious talent like Edwards. If we manage to grab three predominantly inside players then I personally don't mind throwing him into the mix. I think the blend of players is just as important as getting best 22 quality players.

Butler versus Wanganeen-Milera? I take the latter I think.................................unless you have some inside intel?
I agree on the mix element, just with Milera he has some gaps in his game that don’t fit well for AFL football and the sort of position he plays. He’s not a hard two way runner, nothing exceptional in congestion like Edwards (one on one in space and on the wing he’s fine, especially with that jink), super thin frame, just ok for pace. Think there’s some better, less risky options where mixing it up is concerned.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
James Gallagher the List Manager for St Kilda was on the radio this morning. Said they want to use pick 9 in the Draft unless none of the players that they have segmented into and around that pick are available. If that happens then they’ll look to split 9 on the night. But unlikely.

What’s more likely is that they put up their future 2nd rounder for enough points to take their two NGA boys who they are very keen on.

Reactions: 1 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
. Quite amazing how different he is to Dan.

Not really. The only brothers i can think of who played similar are The Kings and The Scotts and they were single eggys. Krakeouer bros were pretty similar 2 egg bros.

curnows, selwoods, abletts, cripps, gales, guthries, etc etc all vastly different

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
His kicking is considered his weakness. Same with Knevitt (who can be REAL ordinary at times).
Just my two cents on his kicking, in the defensive half much more assured, it's when he is in congestion that concerns me, but it's not a technical issue & one which I believe you could remedy. You may get some Balta moments, thinking back to his first dozen games, but once he's a had a taste of the increased intensity, that should settle down and become more reliable. Some days he's on, some days he's off, happens even with the best players.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Not really. The only brothers i can think of who played similar are The Kings and The Scotts and they were single eggys. Krakeouer bros were pretty similar 2 egg bros.

curnows, selwoods, abletts, cripps, gales, guthries, etc etc all vastly different
? I wasn’t saying all footballing brothers are the same as a generalisation. Just that it’s interesting that these particular two are poles apart.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Just my two cents on his kicking, in the defensive half much more assured, it's when he is in congestion that concerns me, but it's not a technical issue & one which I believe you could remedy. You may get some Balta moments, thinking back to his first dozen games, but once he's a had a taste of the increased intensity, that should settle down and become more reliable. Some days he's on, some days he's off, happens even with the best players.
I don’t think his kicking is that bad, personally. You’ll actually see him drill it a few times in those trial games. Knevitt is a different story. Some Falcons games….brrrr.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
James Gallagher the List Manager for St Kilda was on the radio this morning. Said they want to use pick 9 in the Draft unless none of the players that they have segmented into and around that pick are available. If that happens then they’ll look to split 9 on the night. But unlikely.

What’s more likely is that they put up their future 2nd rounder for enough points to take their two NGA boys who they are very keen on.
Owens could attract a bid in the top 20. But if we can't get 27 or 23, trading 38 and 40 for St Kilda's second and maybe third/fourth next year would be a play.

Tortured Tiger

Junior Development - The Tigers key to success !!
Jan 24, 2005

I would have no problem with the Tigers looking at that pick with a view to improve our chances of getting a quality KP player or two next year. A first and three second round picks would give us a great opportunity to do that if we load up on mids this year.

Feb 25, 2007
For those who weren't sure about the rules, it is outlined below.

From Monday, clubs will be allowed to strike trades that do not involve players and the Magpies are expected to put their top draft pick, No.27, up for sale. The Magpies will draft either three or four players on November 24-25, headlined by father-son gun Nick Daicos.

The Magpies hold picks 27, 36, 46, 48, 55, 58, 78 and 79 but AFL rules state they can’t pay for Daicos with draft picks that exceed their amount of open list spots.

For example, if the Magpies have five vacancies on their senior list then only their first five draft picks can be cashed in to match the bid before they go into deficit next year, which would affect their first-round pick.

The Magpies could attempt to move pick 27 up the order or shuffle it into next year’s draft depending on how many list spots they keep open.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
I would have no problem with the Tigers looking at that pick with a view to improve our chances of getting a quality KP player or two next year. A first and three second round picks would give us a great opportunity to do that if we load up on mids this year.
Yeah. It’s probably the third best option for us ie after not getting 17 and using that to trade up, or not getting 23 or 27.

Not the optimal outcome I don’t think this off season but anyway.

bengal tigers

Tiger Superstar
Apr 29, 2015
Im thinking our first pick will be between Gibcus,Hobbs,Ward and Rachelle,and that's only if Andrew goes before our pick.
Gibcus is the one who might get to 7.

nikolasmia

Tiger Superstar
Sep 3, 2007
Dont want them to do it, but for me this draft shapes as similar to 2017 for us.

We took CCJ and Balta. and now CCJ is gone.

I think we are going hard for talls in 2021

The best talls are always taken in the top 10, and we may not have another top 10 pick for a while, if things work out

No matter what the club says I see them going tall at 7, and probably again at 15, if not then definitely in the 20s

2 of Bazzo, JVR, Williams, Andrew, Gibcus, Amiss would probably be the objective.

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
We could offer picks 15 & 28 to Saints for 9 & 62?
1592 points v 1789
Would leave us with 7, 9, 26, 38, 40, 62 & 83
Then trade 38, 40 & 62 to pies for 27

Go in with 7, 9, 26, 27 & 83