2021 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 Draft Thread

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Agree, Reds. But I don't know why people thing it's a 'must' we grab a 190cm+ mid. We didn't have one in our three flags. Melbourne doesn't have one. I think Yeo is 190 so West Coast just had one, and of course there's Bont (and Crumples but he doesn't count because he's always dropping a foot or two whenever someone comes near him).
If you shift your parameters just a smidgeon and include all 187cm guys then you pretty much scoop up all the A listers - Oliver, Martin, Macrae, Bont, Fyfe, Wines, Dangerfield, Petracca, Yeo, Pendlebury.

There's the second tier with some outliers in Walsh, Rowell & Bailey Smith, but you will predominantly get 3rd, 4th & 5th best mids in the 178cm-186cm range. Usually the A graders have some outstanding quality, Rowell one of the best performed juniors on record so it wasn't rocket science, ditto Smith & Walsh. This is one reason I've been hesitant with Hobbs but if you class him as an elite Selwood type then no dramas. But realistically speaking we've not had anything close to Selwood for 15 years, he's an exception rather than a rule, he was also in the conversation for pick 1 so you could arguably put him in the Matt Rowell category of no-brainer selection.

Reactions: 2 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Dont want them to do it, but for me this draft shapes as similar to 2017 for us.

We took CCJ and Balta. and now CCJ is gone.

I think we are going hard for talls in 2021

The best talls are always taken in the top 10, and we may not have another top 10 pick for a while, if things work out

No matter what the club says I see them going tall at 7, and probably again at 15, if not then definitely in the 20s

2 of Bazzo, JVR, Williams, Andrew, Gibcus, Amiss would probably be the objective.
Na. Talls was the right approach in 2017. It was a low-key talls draft: Naughton, Balta, Allen, Taylor, De Koning, Ballard, Petty, McCartin all looking good for 150+ games.

We'll go talent first.

If you shift your parameters just a smidgeon and include all 187cm guys then you pretty much scoop up all the A listers - Oliver, Martin, Macrae, Bont, Fyfe, Wines, Dangerfield, Petracca, Yeo, Pendlebury.

There's the second tier with some outliers in Walsh, Rowell & Bailey Smith, but you will predominantly get 3rd, 4th & 5th best mids in the 178cm-186cm range. Usually the A graders have some outstanding quality, Rowell one of the best performed juniors on record so it wasn't rocket science, ditto Smith & Walsh. This is one reason I've been hesitant with Hobbs but if you class him as an elite Selwood type then no dramas. But realistically speaking we've not had anything close to Selwood for 15 years, he's an exception rather than a rule, he was also in the conversation for pick 1 so you could arguably put him in the Matt Rowell category of no-brainer selection.
If you shift your parameters you're having a different conversation.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
We could offer picks 15 & 28 to Saints for 9 & 62?
1592 points v 1789
Would leave us with 7, 9, 26, 38, 40, 62 & 83
Then trade 38, 40 & 62 to pies for 27

Go in with 7, 9, 26, 27 & 83
If Hartley could pull that off then that would be a fair effort.

Having picks 7 & 9 is a game changer.

Reactions: 1 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
This draft will definitely throw up some big surprises. I think we must have at least 5 spots open. Not saying we use all 5 but I have a hunch once pick 38 comes around there will be player on the board we still rate highly.

Reactions: 3 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
James Gallagher the List Manager for St Kilda was on the radio this morning. Said they want to use pick 9 in the Draft unless none of the players that they have segmented into and around that pick are available. If that happens then they’ll look to split 9 on the night. But unlikely.

What’s more likely is that they put up their future 2nd rounder for enough points to take their two NGA boys who they are very keen on.

We can service that latter for sure. Picks 38 and 40 for their future 2nd is perfect for both sides.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Na. Talls was the right approach in 2017. It was a low-key talls draft: Naughton, Balta, Allen, Taylor, De Koning, Ballard, Petty, McCartin all looking good for 150+ games.

We'll go talent first.

If you shift your parameters you're having a different conversation.
Not at all Spook, 187cm has always been considered tall for a mid, in my eyes anyway. That seems to be the height where you can effectively play one out in the forward line, it's the height that compliments aerial skill & it's a height that usually denotes core strength.

As for this draft, there seems to be more players in the upper range, Johnson 192cm, Goater 190cm, Long 192cm, Kneviitt 193cm & a lot of players around the 180cm mark, Sonsie 181cm, Taylor 180cm, Butler 183cm. Don't think we can get four players in that range, just seems like overkill to me & they will be competing for the same spots.

T-Shirt Tommy

Have you got the oven on?
Apr 11, 2011

Not sure that giving up pick 28 for a 6 pick rise (pick 15 to pick 9) in an even draft is the right thing to do, unless we see a definitive top 10 list that we are after.

Reactions: 1 user

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Not sure that giving up pick 28 for a 6 pick rise (pick 15 to pick 9) in an even draft is the right thing to do, unless we see a definitive top 10 list that we are after.
I think its definitely is. Pick 9 to Pick 15 could be the difference of picking up a potential slider like Gibcus, Rachelle or Johnson. Plus gives us greater comfort in getting a couple of players we might rate highly in that pick 7 slot.

Tortured Tiger

Junior Development - The Tigers key to success !!
Jan 24, 2005
Yeah. It’s probably the third best option for us ie after not getting 17 and using that to trade up, or not getting 23 or 27.

Not the optimal outcome I don’t think this off season but anyway.
It may turn out to be the best option if we can optimize the strengths of each draft, mids this year and talls next. We are all impatient and want the Tigers back at the top but in reality it is going to take time to fill all the needs, one draft won't get near doing that.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
I think its definitely is. Pick 9 to Pick 15 could be the difference of picking up a potential slider like Gibcus, Rachelle or Johnson. Plus gives us greater comfort in getting a couple of players we might rate highly in that pick 7 slot.
Yeah, I would probably do it.

Cooper O'Reilly

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 5, 2021
I'll preface this by saying that I haven't seen either lad play but I must admit that I was hoping we would take Ward with our first selection. But after hearing a few things about Hobbs and listening to his manager speaking on SEN this morning about the type of bloke Hobbs is, I've gotta say he seems like the quintessential Richmond Man.

I only hope that we can maneuver our way up the draft order to secure him. He sounds like a quality footballer and person and you can never have too many of those.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Greene makes any side he plays in better, regardless of game plan. (Not saying Rachele becomes the next Greene).
Toby is a fantastic talent, one of the best in the comp, really class player.

Shame the kid is a pillock.

He'd be truly stuffed if he couldnt play footy.

A lot like the kid from the NRL years ago "the Bubbler", Todd Carney a fantastically talented kid had the world at his feet but he fell right off the trolley and blew it all.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
There's some suggestion that Essendon will take Goater at 13 which reinforces my view we need to go with a tall mid at 7. Thinking something like this -

7. Johnson
15. Sonsie
26. Taylor
28. Butler

That's already 3 guys under 187cm but clearly best available so not a major issue. If we bundled up 26 & 28 for Wanganeen-Milera then that adds an extra dimension & then target a slider at 38. So something like this

7. Johnson
15. Sonsie
19. Wanganeen-Milera
38. Roberts

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Cheers Turk, nice to hear from you. The Bailey Williams/Jack Bytel trade looking ok at this early stage.
Your call on Sam Taylor is looking like a beauty from the 17' picks

What a difference it would have made to our list if we had just gone with
17-Allen
20-Taylor
25-Balta

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I wonder if we are set on Hobbs, whether we might trade something like the below to Adelaide. Adelaide comfortably ahead in the points department and they get an extra pick in this years draft (they've currently lost 5 and only added 1 and only have 2 "good" picks in the ND).

Pick 4 and 33
For Picks 7, 26 and 40

Would leave us with 4, 15, 28 and 38.

Hobbs and Sonsie with the 1st 2 would be a great outcome for us.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Your call on Sam Taylor is looking like a beauty from the 17' picks

What a difference it would have made to our list if we had just gone with
17-Allen
20-Taylor
25-Balta
That would have been a hole in one, although Higgins has done well at the Saints, 27 goals & 15 disposals a match a much better return than some of our premiership players. Stats certainly not the be-all-end-all but I don't think he was a bad pick, just a victim of poor list management.

Aegean Tiger

Tiger Superstar
Aug 27, 2008

Understand the allure of getting high picks but reckon we need 5 picks under 30 in this draft. Will be full of opportunities for clubs that have really done their homework. Big call but reckon picks in the teens, 20s and 30s may be more important in this draft than any other in the history of AFL drafts! o_O

Wells is ecstatic that he has 4 picks inside the top 34. Want us to make sure that we at least do better than that mob!

Reactions: 4 users