2021 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 Draft Thread

BTW, guys, been loving the discussion. Some of those kids look awesome and I agree that we are missing accumulators and big bodied mids.

I do have one concern though. We have replaced Astbury with Tarrant which, short term is a tick. We have delisted Chol, CCJ and Garthwaite, who are all back up talls. The jury is out on whether CCJis good or not but I doubt we will miss the other two. Problem is, we now have a lack of developing talls on the list, especially swingmen who can play both ends of the ground. Two rucks (of sorts) out is not good either.

I think we need a ruckman and a KPP, which obviously means only three mids.

Should we look at Toby Conway, for example? Hopefully Collina spends more time with us and plays VFL at least but if he doesn’t we will have a serious problem next season, especially if Tarrant, Grimes, Balta, Broad, jack, Lynch, Nank and Soldo are all best 22. There is not much left to cover injuries. And injuries will come to that group.

Thoughts?
If we use 6 picks then you could perhaps spend 38 or 40 on a ruck, 4 mids, 1 KPD & one ruck looks ok to me. Sean Darcy went at 38 so this would be the range I expect. Also need to be mindful of the poaching factor.

Reactions: 1 user
The chaos theory a good analogy, although my picks were 17. Higgins 20. Balta 25. Taylor. I don't believe that would have disrupted the universe greatly, but I do take your point and it definitely resonates with another scenario I mentioned - the Judd godfather deal. If that goes through then we don't get Cotch, Rance & in all probability, Dusty, because you would expect Judd to push us out of the top 3 range in the 2009 draft. So very unlikely we win 3 premierships.
Who have you got as the best 3 or 4 genuine inside mids in this draft bullus? Getting 2 of them would be great.

If we use 6 picks then you could perhaps spend 38 or 40 on a ruck, 4 mids, 1 KPD & one ruck looks ok to me. Sean Darcy went at 38 so this would be the range I expect. Also need to be mindful of the poaching factor.
I know Samson Ryan had a mare on debut but I have high hopes, (picked him up at 40), so maybe we already have our Sean Darcy type on our list? Soldo and Nank still young.
Really keen to see what conditioning they can get into Samson in the off and pre season.

You can see how easy it is to trade in a journeyman ruckman or a young ruck that has several years of development in the trade period if short in that area.

Reactions: 4 users
If we went a mid first strategy and by some small miracle Gibcus is there at 15, I'd take him ahead of all others. I don't think that will happen. I think the Gibcus floor is around pick 12, no lower. I wouldn't bypass a player who has performed at the top level like Sonsie (U16 MVP), JVR (champs and Colts) or NWM (Champs and SANFL) for a project type at 15. We have picks in the 20's & 30's to use for more speculative types.

Soligo and Karl Worner played with us. Worner played quite well off a wing in one of the two trial games.
I checked the VFL app, Soligo had 17 touches in our big win against GWS. That was his only appearance. No Howes.
Fraser Elliot from Oakleigh Chargers played the same game as Soligo.

Elliot, 19, is a big, bodied midfielder currently a part of the Oakleigh Chargers NAB League program. The youngster has clean hands, tidy foot skills, and can impact stoppages.

Reactions: 1 users
This draft personally I biast with mids especially more so after seeing lots of kps available next year,u could easily get 2 top 10 mids with the half season blocking Vic kids true range and 4 picks in top 30 is sensational,hell even 38-40 is a premiers 2nd round pick,i simply can't wait for the draft.

Thought I contributed well and offer an alternative opinion which is what we’re here for but never wanted to play the man.

On what bases are you suggesting that he’s not better than all the other tall defenders and then suggest he’s not even valued at 15? ( if Goater and Sonsie both gone?? )
Your opinion reeks of a bias against him with no bases of fact and flying in the face of general consensus by all draft watchers that he’s comfortably top 10.
Can you see where I'm coming from DA, where did I say he's not even valued at 15? So quick on the attack, not even the time to engage in debate, just an exercise in mud flinging. Every year it happens, I copped a royal armada of abuse over Corey Ellis, got told trading a first rounder for Bytel & Williams was idiocy, got told to get back in my box over CCJ & yet despite having sorted a hole in the list 3 years ago with Sam Taylor, I now find myself pilloried for suggesting we don't spend a top 10 pick on a similar type. I'm not a pro recruiter, never said as much, but if my metrics are a little different that shouldn't be reason enough for posters to whip out the voodoo dolls and start taking potshots.

• Love
Reactions: 16 users
Can you see where I'm coming from DA, where did I say he's not even valued at 15? So quick on the attack, not even the time to engage in debate, just an exercise in mud flinging. Every year it happens, I copped a royal armada of abuse over Corey Ellis, got told trading a first rounder for Bytel & Williams was idiocy, got told to get back in my box over CCJ & yet despite having sorted a hole in the list 3 years ago with Sam Taylor, I now find myself pilloried for suggesting we don't spend a top 10 pick on a similar type. I'm not a pro recruiter, never said as much, but if my metrics are a little different that shouldn't be reason enough for posters to whip out the voodoo dolls and start taking potshots.
Hope you appreciated my apology Bully.
I actually appreciate your opinions and enjoy the discussions.
I’ll temper my tone forthwith

Reactions: 12 users
Jordan Lukac did a 2.98 over the 20m
Not sure what Leek Alleer's running vertical jump was but wasn't many pegs left from what I saw.

Jordan Lukac did a 2.98 over the 20m
Not sure what Leek Alleer's running vertical jump was but wasn't many pegs left from what I saw.
That's brisk for a big fella.
But correct me if I'm not right but didn't Lukac underwhelm for SA ?

Tuned in to see how he went as a forward in the champs but predominantly played in the ruck.
Lukac is an interesting one, he has been likened to a young Paddy Ryder.
I saw him live in the curtain raiser to the WAFL GF. He started in the ruck, his knee was bandaged, he's got a good leap on him.
He went forward and took a very very good contested mark. He's a talent, I don't think the ruck is his go, he might make a good backmen.

Reactions: 1 users
Leek Alleer reaches 107cm off his left foot for the Running Vertical Jump.

Impressive leap.

New record and beat the previous record by 4cm.

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users