2021 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 Draft Thread

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007

TOP FIVE NATIONAL COMBINE RESULTS

Vertical jump (cm)
Corey Warner 76
William Bella 75
Leek Alleer 75
Noah Pegoraro 75
Lochlan Paton 73

whl7Iin8.jpg

Corey Warner tests in the vertical leap during the 2021 NAB AFL Western Australia draft combine. Picture: AFL Photos
Running vertical jump (cm)
Leek Alleer 107
Corey Warner 100
Josh Gibcus 95
Jahmal Stretch 93
Noah Pegoraro 92

20m sprint (sec)
Harvey Harrison 2.845
Taj Woewodin 2.898
Luke Polson 2.900
Hugh Stagg 2.910
Noah Pegoraro 2.926

Agility (sec)
Alastair Lord 7.940
Bryce Watson 8.006
Matt Johnson 8.061
Cooper Beecken 8.070
Ronald Fejo Jnr 8.080

2km time trial (minutes:seconds)
Cooper Hamilton 5:48
Hamish Sinnott 5:58
Mitchell Knevitt 6:18
Kai Lohmann 6:19
Jamieson Ballantyne 6:19

2km Time Trial on Strava - an app where athletes track runs and rides (minutes:seconds)
Josh Ward 5:57
Josh Fahey 5:59
Ned Long 6:05
Karl Worner 6:07
Blake Howes 6:08
Connor MacDonald 6:08

Reactions: 2 users

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
I'll put a question out, do we go in and pick 5 young guns at 7, 15, 26, 27, 28 OR do some believe we'll only pick 4 players, thus packaging up some picks to try and get into the top 10. The thing is who wants to deal? or will things open up more on draft night?
If you are looking at this situation in terms of securing three core players then bundling picks is definitely a viable strategy. I would perhaps do this if we have secured our two midfielders with 7 & 15 and really want to muscle in on a silky wingman, I don't think Sinn or Wanganeen-Milera will be there at 26. So if it's 27 & 28 for 19 & one of those guys is sitting there I would probably go for it. Not really interested in bundling 7 & 15 unless it's for Ward, I think Hobbs vs Rachele/Johnson isn't worth it, but if Hobbs is there at 7 then fair weight.

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
I looked at Johnson at the combine on the Afl website ,and he was doing the running jump,the Tiger recruiter in the back ground wasn't even watching,he was too busy yakking.
Just telling the Bombers and Bullfrogs recruiters that we're picking Erasmus knowing they'll tell Freo who'll then trump us with 6! Leaving the actual player we want.

Reactions: 4 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Re point 2, no you’re not listening to what I’m saying Turk. More, not equivalent or less. We couldn’t/wouldn’t do that and get the value to them. So it falls over. We get outbid in other words. Getting outbid can have positive or negative ramifications. I’m saying that in this case it presented a negative outcome visa v what we tendered on and paid for elsewhere.

Point 3 Huh ? How is giving up for example a 546 point payout from our Draft capital for 17 “worse or even bigger mistake“ v 522 for 27 ? It’s the other way around. And to be honest, if you can’t get that, then there’s no point continuing you’re right.

The fact remains, and history will show, that using the DVI (which is an index to assign some sort of value on picks as opposed to ambit or argued values) it was 499 to get 17 and 522 to get 27.

Red, you don't know if we offered more or less. I'd hasten to guess that we offered less initially, and may have upped our offer for 17 if they would wait for after the CJ trade, but it depends how much.

The situation I outline below could absolutely have been the situation, I don't know, but neither do you, so its all speculation.

Lets say the Dogs were offered their 4 club trade deal, but there was a time limit where it had to get done, as other clubs needed time to sort out other deals. We say, hang on, we can offer you say 550 points but you need to wait.

If you were the Dogs, unless we offered significantly more than what they were already offered, why would you take the risk that it couldn't eventuate and then the other deal is dead? The simple answer is, you wouldn't. You would have taken the exact same deal, even if it was for less. You can argue that they have up until draft night to deal, but as you know with supply and demand, all clubs KNOW that the Dogs wanted rid of that pick, but once the trade period closed, the Dogs strength of hand as other clubs weren't trying to get deals done. Almost certainly, once trade period closed, the Dogs negotiating hand would have been diminished and they would have received less. Even to the point they held until draft night, I suspect they wouldn't get much more than a swap of firsts with say Brisbane. The length of our negotiations with the CJ trade (which was a good deal for us) was what scuppered our chances for Pick 17.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
There has been some robust discussion about whether we paid too much to the pies or whether we should've gone harder to get pick 17.

Safe to say dees came hard as did the crows to get involved in a deal done with the dogs, a multi-club deal. Most of us kept putting up 38, 42, 47 for 17 (if 28 was thrown in I guess that still wouldn't get it done), hence why we were out of the race for pick 17.
Dees gave up their future first pick and Crows an early 20's pick, how on earth could we top that without giving both 26 & 28, great for dogs not so for us.
Pick 17 will that become 19 after bids? Second-round picks remain as is 26, 27, 28 (happy to stand corrected on that).

TRADE SUMMARY​

Melbourne
In:
17, 37, 49
Out: Future first, 33, 45

Western Bulldogs
In:
23, 44, 45
Out: 17, 75

Adelaide
In:
Future first (Melbourne), 33, 75
Out: 23, 37, 44, 62, 66, future fourth

On CCJ all I was hearing here and on BF stop thinking about pick 20 its pick 40 or PSD, in the end, and to the surprise of many (mostly lol north fans), we got what we wanted not only pick 40 but a future second, likely to be early 20's.

Now, trading 38 & 40 for pick 27 is what most expected, a fair deal but I dare say if it wasn't for the 3rd rounder next year thrown in, I bet we wouldn't be having this discussion but that 3rd will hopefully be 50+
Overall it's been a good trading period for us, but if a future 3rd is the only handout the club shouldn't have done, I can live with that.

I'll put a question out, do we go in and pick 5 young guns at 7, 15, 26, 27, 28 OR do some believe we'll only pick 4 players, thus packaging up some picks to try and get into the top 10. The thing is who wants to deal? or will things open up more on draft night?

Personally still think we only pick 4, but I could be wrong. Adelaide might be willing (depends on who they are after) to swap 4 and 33 for 7 and 26, and then we use 33 to move one of the others up on draft night. We might need to sweeten that deal though. Maybe even Pick 4 and a future 3rd for 7 and 28. Gets us back to 4 picks next year (and likely a stronger 3rd than our own) and nails us either Ward or Hobbs. Likely gives us 4 inside the top 40 next year. 4 inside the top 27 this year and 4 inside the top 40 next is a nice haul.

Reactions: 1 users

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006

TOP FIVE NATIONAL COMBINE RESULTS

Vertical jump (cm)
Corey Warner 76
William Bella 75
Leek Alleer 75
Noah Pegoraro 75
Lochlan Paton 73

whl7Iin8.jpg

Corey Warner tests in the vertical leap during the 2021 NAB AFL Western Australia draft combine. Picture: AFL Photos
Running vertical jump (cm)
Leek Alleer 107
Corey Warner 100
Josh Gibcus 95
Jahmal Stretch 93
Noah Pegoraro 92

20m sprint (sec)
Harvey Harrison 2.845
Taj Woewodin 2.898
Luke Polson 2.900
Hugh Stagg 2.910
Noah Pegoraro 2.926

Agility (sec)
Alastair Lord 7.940
Bryce Watson 8.006
Matt Johnson 8.061
Cooper Beecken 8.070
Ronald Fejo Jnr 8.080

2km time trial (minutes:seconds)
Cooper Hamilton 5:48
Hamish Sinnott 5:58
Mitchell Knevitt 6:18
Kai Lohmann 6:19
Jamieson Ballantyne 6:19

2km Time Trial on Strava - an app where athletes track runs and rides (minutes:seconds)
Josh Ward 5:57
Josh Fahey 5:59
Ned Long 6:05
Karl Worner 6:07
Blake Howes 6:08
Connor MacDonald 6:08

Just to remind people that Goater has the highest standing vertical jump of 80cm, this was recorded in early season testing.

Reactions: 6 users

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
I'll put a question out, do we go in and pick 5 young guns at 7, 15, 26, 27, 28 OR do some believe we'll only pick 4 players, thus packaging up some picks to try and get into the top 10
If you are looking at this situation in terms of securing three core players then bundling picks is definitely a viable strategy. I would perhaps do this if we have secured our two midfielders with 7 & 15
Personally still think we only pick 4, but I could be wrong.
I've felt from the get-go that five picks in a draft that has been heavily affected by public health orders is a massive risk.

Without having looked at all the tapes, the weighting towards WA and SA players—who've been fortunate enough to get plenty of games and exposure—gives me the shivers.

The ideal outcome, I reckon, would be to bundle five picks into four and reduce the uncertainty that simply must exist once we get into the late 20s picks. Either that, or manoeuvre one of this year's picks into next year.

Of all the drafts to be heavily invested in, this one has a feeling of crash or burn about it.

Four picks only in 2021 for me.

It's about risk mitigation.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Personally still think we only pick 4, but I could be wrong. Adelaide might be willing (depends on who they are after) to swap 4 and 33 for 7 and 26, and then we use 33 to move one of the others up on draft night. We might need to sweeten that deal though. Maybe even Pick 4 and a future 3rd for 7 and 28. Gets us back to 4 picks next year (and likely a stronger 3rd than our own) and nails us either Ward or Hobbs. Likely gives us 4 inside the top 40 next year. 4 inside the top 27 this year and 4 inside the top 40 next is a nice haul.
Pretty sure Adelaide having missed out on a crack at Horne-Francis have refocused and identified a target at 6 that they could not guarantee at 9, why would you risk it.?

A hypothetical, if Richmond had pick 4, (6), in this draft would you trade that or pick 7, (9), as proposed above?.

Reactions: 1 user

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
5 picks or package up for 4. Either or. The latter will be tough. Not impossible. But tough. Not too many clubs looking to move back in the Draft now. Most opportunities for that have been extinguished.

Maybe a Draft night offer might come if a club really likes a player and thinks it might get beaten to the punch by another club, but those infrequent deals on Draft night usually just involve later picks. This year might be different with the evenness through rounds one and two. Who knows.

Which reminds me: splitting the first and second rounds over two nights. Sucks.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Which reminds me: splitting the first and second rounds over two nights. Sucks.
It doesn't suck actually, with the invites going out a few days prior to the draft you can get a real sense of who will slide. Makes planning much easier and with a draft so even you can start targeting for needs knowing you stand a good chance to secure a particular player in the second round.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
It doesn't suck actually, with the invites going out a few days prior to the draft you can get a real sense of who will slide. Makes planning much easier and with a draft so even you can start targeting for needs knowing you stand a good chance to secure a particular player in the second round.

It may make sense from an industry perspective Bully but for someone who is a fan of BINGE nights like myself it just isn't quite the same. Having 2 picks in the 1st round alleviates that somewhat this year :)

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
The invites have always gone out in the week preceding the Draft - before they started splitting the rounds. For the tv viewer it means sitting there for 2 days knowing who’s in the first and who’s not and then waiting for it to drag out. The clubs know 4 or 5 days out, and are ready as well.

Just get on with it for mine.

Last edited: