2021 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 Draft Thread

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
I think I prefer Alleer as a key defender, he's already two years into his apprenticeship, the signs look good from a developmental perspective too, he's really using his leap to gain maximum advantage. I think you could make a definitive call in two years so he won't be a list clogger either.

If there's a compelling case for Bazzo's forward credentials then that may change my thinking.

thegdog

Tiger Champion
Sep 28, 2009
Big deal he can jump. Does he know how to play footy and have urgency? As Mr Miyagi once said ‘Board no fight back’

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Were you around the year Pahoff got them ? Was a looong time ago when things weren’t controlled too well. I know how he got them and it caused a bit of a stink shall we say.
Na, don't remember that. Gus was posting results on request a couple of years ago, dunno if he's even here any more.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Just to remind people that Goater has the highest standing vertical jump of 80cm, this was recorded in early season testing.

much like the Strava 2km times, just a word of caution on standing vertical jumps .......

the boys first reach for their fingertip height, then jump, and the jump height is = 2-1.

I've seen boys minimise their fingertip height - slightly bent knees, slightly bent elbows, slightly bent fingers, slightly dropped shoulders,

then extend the lot on the jump.

you could get a 10cm compound error I reckon.

recruiters would know all this, hence why they go watch the testing.

Reactions: 1 user

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
The invites have always gone out in the week preceding the Draft - before they started splitting the rounds. For the tv viewer it means sitting there for 2 days knowing who’s in the first and who’s not and then waiting for it to drag out. The clubs know 4 or 5 days out, and are ready as well.

Just get on with it for mine.
I like the gap, more time to cut a deal and get your primary targets.
Big deal he can jump. Does he know how to play footy and have urgency? As Mr Miyagi once said ‘Board no fight back’

Can take a very nice grab. Kicking still a work in progress.

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Were you around the year Pahoff got them ? Was a looong time ago when things weren’t controlled too well. I know how he got them and it caused a bit of a stink shall we say.
Miller probably gave them to him to get him to drop his board spill partition?

Never met someone who had less self awareness than old Pahoff. Thought he was a brilliant recruiter but was actually clueless

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria

Impressive. Can't coach a player to back into packs and take strong marks - either have it or they dont and he does. Rance was crazy brave from the word go.

Reactions: 4 users

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
I looked at Johnson at the combine on the Afl website ,and he was doing the running jump,the Tiger recruiter in the back ground wasn't even watching,he was too busy yakking.
He had a great agility result i believe

Also i think Blair also mentioned him after the SA v WA game and with Sam Cousens looking over the WA kids i think we would certainly have him on our board.

Reactions: 1 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019

great reel. reminds me a bit of 18 yo Noah balta's mitts and athleticism.

again, a word of caution ..... hes 20yo

literally a man playing boys.

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Impressive. Can't coach a player to back into packs and take strong marks - either have it or they dont and he does. Rance was crazy brave from the word go.
That is a strange highlight package
15 marks 0 hand balls 0 kicks 0 play on and no running in 6 games

doesnt that seem strange ?

gehring

Tiger Rookie
Oct 16, 2006
Polson is ripped like an AFL veteran, amazing physique. Had a close look at the ball drop, not the greatest, then I went to look at the stats and his goal kicking conversion rate is below 50% which doesn't sit well for his forward credentials. As a backman, probably not as critical provided he doesn't try to pinpoint 50 metre passes. The speed is the thing I really like, that usually means he'll be able to make up ground on the lead. I think if you view him a key defender there's plenty to work with. Don't think his set shot kicking is quite up to standard for the forward line.
Hi Bully, for KPP's I think their major stat is their ability and desire to mark (overhead) be it in packs or intercept. How does Polson compare with the other contenders; Gibcus, Alleer, Amiss, JVR, Bazzo etc? Our best players have this attribute; Jack, Grimes, Balta, Vlaz, Nank

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
great reel. reminds me a bit of 18 yo Noah balta's mitts and athleticism.

again, a word of caution ..... hes 20yo

literally a man playing boys.
Has played 11 senior games, only averaging 9 touches so there's work to be done but if you look back at Rance's first couple of years then improvement can be found on the skills front.

bengal tigers

Tiger Superstar
Apr 29, 2015
He had a great agility result i believe

Also i think Blair also mentioned him after the SA v WA game and with Sam Cousens looking over the WA kids i think we would certainly have him on our board.
The only good thing the combine is good for ,is it keeps the player's fitness up ,and it's a meet and greet sort of thing.
I still think Vic boys are better options at our first pick .

Hartley or Clarke might have mentioned him,because they have no other matches to talk about :LOL:

Last edited:

bengal tigers

Tiger Superstar
Apr 29, 2015
Has played 11 senior games, only averaging 9 touches so there's work to be done but if you look back at Rance's first couple of years then improvement can be found on the skills front.
Go and see if you can find a Sanfl match of alleer in it,and then tell me you would take him in the second round ,,you tube only show the good bits,matches show everything.

jokershoppe

Tiger Champion
Feb 17, 2008
Re point 2, no you’re not listening to what I’m saying Turk. More, not equivalent or less. We couldn’t/wouldn’t do that and get the value to them. So it falls over. We get outbid in other words. Getting outbid can have positive or negative ramifications. I’m saying that in this case it presented a negative outcome visa v what we tendered on and paid for elsewhere.

Point 3 Huh ? How is giving up for example a 546 point payout from our Draft capital for 17 “worse or even bigger mistake“ v 522 for 27 ? It’s the other way around. And to be honest, if you can’t get that, then there’s no point continuing you’re right.

The fact remains, and history will show, that using the DVI (which is an index to assign some sort of value on picks as opposed to ambit or argued values) it was 499 to get 17 and 522 to get 27.
all the afl recruiters say without difference,unless u need points for a bid,points are completely irrelevant .

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Hi Bully, for KPP's I think their major stat is their ability and desire to mark (overhead) be it in packs or intercept. How does Polson compare with the other contenders; Gibcus, Alleer, Amiss, JVR, Bazzo etc? Our best players have this attribute; Jack, Grimes, Balta, Vlaz, Nank
I have Gibcus & Alleer neck and neck for marking ability, the reason Gibcus is seen as the best defender is his kicking is much more assured and he tends to run off his man more often, although this can send him into trouble on occasion. Not a terminal issue and probably one you could iron out once in an AFL system. Alleer simply doesn't have that spontaneity in his game but there's growth potential & that makes him a reasonable bet in the second round.

Van Rooyen is a very strong mark in a pack situation, doesn't shirk responsibility & of all the KP prospects he presents as the best swingman, comfortably I might add. Where he might have a few problems is with the Inspector Gadget types who use their reach, this was something Bazzo did to great effect. Van Rooyen is a good runner with a very high work rate, not an elite leap but Oscar Allen isn't in that category either. Happy to grab him in the twenties & would take him over Alleer if both were available.

Amiss is more of a leading type, he's more in that Jack Gunston mould of canny one on one operator who can get separation & a player who can hustle his way to front position. Technically fine as a contested mark but not a pack splitter, he probably relies on silver service delivery more than your typical power forward but his kicking for goal is first class.

Bazzo is still a player I'm assessing, his play in defence has largely been a negating role, I'm still trying to dig up some footage of his work in the forward line. Given that he's spent a fair chunk of time as a junior forward indicates he's a competent grab. Will get back to you on this one.