2021 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 Draft Thread

no way that happens

after Pick4, throw a blanket over 15 players, any of which could be bonafide stars, with little between them, and arguments and excuses for all of them, we need to spread the risk.

Amiss, Hobbs, Ward, Milera, Sinn, Goater, Andrew, Rochelle, Sonsie, Chesser , Johnson, Erasmus, Draper, JVR, Gibcus

Also reckon we will end up with a very good chance of jaggin a couple of players with our 20s picks too.

Macdonald, Brown, Wilmot, Williams, Bazzo, Knevitt, Aleer, Taylor, Butler, Motlop, Sheldrick. Howes Long Roberts to name but a few

The more I think about this, the more I think we are beautifully positioned to get a mix of quality players, tall and small.

We don't need to trade anything to anyone unless its clear overs.

If we don't get Hobbs or Ward with our 1st, I'd be all in on McDonald. Love how he goes about it, sees ball, gets ball, lovely burst away to give himself some room. Looks like he could turn into a midfield gun. If we didn't get those 2 with our 1st, I'd be comfortable if we traded up to ensure we get McDonald. I think its important that we get a pure midfielder in the draft.

On the day, maybe something like 22 and 50 for 27 and 28. Might even get Fejo Jnr with our Pick 50.

Reactions: 1 user
Seems like there’s a bit of love coming for Mitch Owens that will put pressure on St.Kilda to maybe split 9 …or go to 2022’s capital.

Reactions: 1 users
Seems like there’s a bit of love coming for Mitch Owens that will put pressure on St.Kilda to maybe split 9 …or go to 2022’s capital.

They will have to anyway. He will be picked anywhere from 17-30. 17-20 they cannot match, only from 21.

They don't have enough picks to match that early, certainly not if they want Windhager too.

Now we're talking, got to play a poker hand here.

They will have to anyway. He will be picked anywhere from 17-30. 17-20 they cannot match, only from 21.

They don't have enough picks to match that early, certainly not if they want Windhager too.
Could even trade pick 15 for pick 9, I think that puts us in a good position too.

They were prepared to go into deficit next year to match for Owens but not the amount that it seems they may have to now with some teams considering bidding in the teens.

Could even trade pick 15 for pick 9, I think that puts us in a good position too.
Now that’s something definitely to consider.

15 & 26 for 9. I would sacrifice a pick in the 20’s to get another top 10 pick.

Reactions: 4 users
I would be pretty bummed out with that scenario, start with 5 picks in the top 30 and end up with 1 (the bids will force our picks out to the thirties). Aim should be to get 3 picks in the top 20. No way Hobbs is a better selection than Johnson plus Goater/Sonsie
Don't mean just one pick (two or three the max) and trade picks for next year. But if this draft is a super one and you will get value and long term players, then that's another story. Only concern is giving playing time for existing young players and the new selection.

Very unlikely - why would you split 9 and then run the risk of getting a bid that swallows up you're split picks.

They'll draft at 11 and then worry about points for their Academy players.

Most likely option is to live trade on the night to get Owens and Windhager with Geesook well placed to accommodate them. They may have to let one of them through but will definitely get the one they prefer

Now that’s something definitely to consider.

15 & 26 for 9. I would sacrifice a pick in the 20’s to get another top 10 pick.
I wouldn't be giving them the pick before our next 2 selections.
Only way I'd consider helping the Saints with that kind of deal by first splitting our pick 28 with a third party.
Possibly Melbourne might like to move up the order a touch from 37 to 28?
Maybe 28 for 37 & 49 and then give saints 15 & 37 ?
I'd rather have 7-9-26-27-49 than 7-9-27-28-83
I don't think they'd take it but stuff giving other sides a leg up unless we come out shiny as well.

They were prepared to go into deficit next year to match for Owens but not the amount that it seems they may have to now with some teams considering bidding in the teens.
A bid in the teens can't be matched under the new rules. A bid after pick 20 can be matched.

A bid in the teens can't be matched under the new rules. A bid after pick 20 can be matched.
Not if Fremantle bid with 19 (21) because of the two preceding father/sons.

Selection or bid, they’re under pressure maybe. Depends how realistic it is with other clubs or whether they’re just trying to pressure, and get StKilda to jump.

Last edited:
I was wondering from his highlight reel,

if either

1. he was getting 30 disposals in the seniors, or
2. every single disposal was highlight worthy.

it seem it was 2.

96% efficiency against men! its because he has the pace and astonishing evasion to remove all pressure.

but even when hes under pressure, last resort, he hits a handball to a bloke in a paddock.

must be some reason hes not already on a list?
In one of the plays he stepped someone who looks like he’s going to lose his *smile* because it’s already happened a few times earlier. Silk

In one of the plays he stepped someone who looks like he’s going to lose his *smile* because it’s already happened a few times earlier. Silk
The knock on Ronald (apparently), and why he’s not up in headlights, is that he has no contested game. I have no idea if that’s true or not. I watched a few West Adelaide reserves games a few months ago but because I was looking at some other players, can’t say I took much notice of Fejo. I’d have to go back to them and other West Adelaide games that I’ve got access to in order to get the broader picture.

Last edited:
Only concern is giving playing time for existing young players and the new selection.
Existing youngsters should be pushing hard against some of the older incumbent senior players for spots next year.

Highly unlikely any of this years batch of draftees will see much in the way of senior footy in 2022 as they've all pretty much had very limited footy exposure over the last two years. Going to be a massive development learning period for the newbies.