2021 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 Draft Thread

So many similar types down the order, I don't think he's a certainty to be the best in his class. Reckon we grab Butler if you think a hybrid type is preferable to a mid, although I'd still want to make a play for Taylor, think we need his kicking smarts.
I’d like Sonsie at our second pick. He fits everything I want. Ward/Hobbs with Sonsie ticks my midfield/forward needs.

Then I’d like a taller hybrid version , Butler, Howes type with the 20‘s picks. Butler looking unlikely tho.

Reactions: 4 users
Johnson sonsie jvr fejo

is my dream haul.

im surprised at the relative absence of love for JVR?

a versatile, tough, athletic, genuine bigwith form?

i reckon the tiger will take him.

Reactions: 1 users
I’d like Sonsie at our second pick. He fits everything I want. Ward/Hobbs with Sonsie ticks my midfield/forward needs.

Then I’d like a taller hybrid version , Butler, Howes type with the 20‘s picks. Butler looking unlikely tho.
Do you think Sonsie is still there at our second pick? I can't see it happening unfortunately

Reactions: 1 user
Provisional Top 50 (rankings)

50. Harvey Harrison

A bit of an odd ball collection, some with big upside like Alleer, some with a limited ceiling like Dean. Harrison is the athlete who may prove to be successful based on his athletic profile alone. Dittmar a solid pick if you're looking for a midfield addition.
Good work Bully!
Very interesting and thought provoking.

On Harrison it strikes me that every year there,s a kid who blitzes all testing and is by far a better athlete. But hasn't taken that into junior footy, maybe is still too lightweight.
I can't recall any of these super athletes doing well. Many don't even get drafted.
Is there a successful example for the Harrison types?

Do you think Sonsie is still there at our second pick? I can't see it happening unfortunately
50/50. You only need a couple of guys to jump up and he's there. Possible NWM, JVR, Goater, all go ahead of him.

Who is the closest player to a Prestia clone in this draft?
Mitch Crowden @ the Dockers is a meatball type, is OOC and would've most likely cost nothing
Better user of the ball too but he rarely gets midfield time.
Don't think I've noticed that type in this draft though.

Good work Bully!
Very interesting and thought provoking.

On Harrison it strikes me that every year there,s a kid who blitzes all testing and is by far a better athlete. But hasn't taken that into junior footy, maybe is still too lightweight.
I can't recall any of these super athletes doing well. Many don't even get drafted.
Is there a successful example for the Harrison types?
Darcy Byrne-Jones was as raw as they come, he's now an AA backman, not exactly like for like but a good example of finding value amongst the athletic data.

Lachie Neale is probably the best example of a mid going from skinny athlete to absolute gun. Neale was seen as undersized and outside but had excellent athletic traits - good tank, good agility, 3 second sprint time & excellent vertical leap. Do I think Harrison is in this class? Not necessarily but if he's sitting there in the rookie draft he'd be as good a bet as any.

Anyone know much of Josh Cripps (Paddy’s bro)? Seems an interesting prospect. 199cm 93kg ruck/fwd.
played 4 colts games late in the season for east freo, averaged 3 goals 23 touches 11 hitouts

Anyone know much of Josh Cripps (Paddy’s bro)? Seems an interesting prospect. 199cm 93kg ruck/fwd.
played 4 colts games late in the season for east freo, averaged 3 goals 23 touches 11 hitouts
Don't have his running data but that will be clutch id determining his suitability for an AFL role, I think from memory Patrick ran a 13.2 beep & had a poor sprint time. If Josh doesn't have the speed to create separation then that may limit his impact as a forward/ruck. In the role of a ruckman he would need to possess a bumper tank given he will be giving away centimetres to the premier rucks of the competition.

Don't have his running data but that will be clutch id determining his suitability for an AFL role, I think from memory Patrick ran a 13.2 beep & had a poor sprint time. If Josh doesn't have the speed to create separation then that may limit his impact as a forward/ruck. In the role of a ruckman he would need to possess a bumper tank given he will be giving away centimetres to the premier rucks of the competition.
Watched him closely in the last WA v SA game and whilst alt of write ups talked him up i didnt see a AFL player
looked slow and cumbersome and average talent tbh. Thinking if his name was not cripps he wouldnt have been mentioned

Reactions: 3 users
50/50. You only need a couple of guys to jump up and he's there. Possible NWM, JVR, Goater, all go ahead of him.
I'd be ecstatic if we get him.
Before our second we'd also need Amiss probs to Freo or WCE and Draper too.
I get the feeling we will just miss out and be looking at a Sinn or Zac Taylor instead.

Darcy Byrne-Jones was as raw as they come, he's now an AA backman, not exactly like for like but a good example of finding value amongst the athletic data.

Lachie Neale is probably the best example of a mid going from skinny athlete to absolute gun. Neale was seen as undersized and outside but had excellent athletic traits - good tank, good agility, 3 second sprint time & excellent vertical leap. Do I think Harrison is in this class? Not necessarily but if he's sitting there in the rookie draft he'd be as good a bet as any.

thanks Bully.
I guess the players i'm commenting on are the uber athletes who havent achieved as much in football terms. For example have they played at state level?
Examples are Harry Sharp and Jay Rantall ,Josh Schoenfeld, Jack Hiscox - mostly the runners who blitz both sprints and are time trial kings.
Its then hoped that their elite athleticism is enough to get them to win the footy.
So my question is this how you would describe Harrison?

Looking at Lachie Neale he was a reasonable footballer at U18s, having played 7 League games for Glenelg.
At a testing level he had some elite results though overall i'd say a good athlete. From a comment in 2011 "Standing Vertical Jump of 73 and RVJ of 95 is elite. His 8.24 agility, 14.2 beep and 3.00 sprint are very good."
D Byrne Jones played 4 matches for Metro, though it was reported he had a "quiet championships". It's also written that he "despite his lack of pace" but he also was top 10 in 5 tests. So I can see your point on the athletic data.

Going back to harvey harrison, he's played 1 reserves match for Sturt with 11 disposal.
Not potting the top 50 or your opinions, instead the question is on the 'athlete' who hasnt done enough on the footy field.

thanks Bully.
I guess the players i'm commenting on are the uber athletes who havent achieved as much in football terms. For example have they played at state level?
Examples are Harry Sharp and Jay Rantall ,Josh Schoenfeld, Jack Hiscox - mostly the runners who blitz both sprints and are time trial kings.
Its then hoped that their elite athleticism is enough to get them to win the footy.
So my question is this how you would describe Harrison?

Looking at Lachie Neale he was a reasonable footballer at U18s, having played 7 League games for Glenelg.
At a testing level he had some elite results though overall i'd say a good athlete. From a comment in 2011 "Standing Vertical Jump of 73 and RVJ of 95 is elite. His 8.24 agility, 14.2 beep and 3.00 sprint are very good."
D Byrne Jones played 4 matches for Metro, though it was reported he had a "quiet championships". It's also written that he "despite his lack of pace" but he also was top 10 in 5 tests. So I can see your point on the athletic data.

Going back to harvey harrison, he's played 1 reserves match for Sturt with 11 disposal.
Not potting the top 50 or your opinions, instead the question is on the 'athlete' who hasnt done enough on the footy field.
To be honest I snuck him into 50th spot because I like a smokey, I have guys like Woewodin, Warner & Molan ahead in reality but these guys won't be in the frame by the time the rookie draft arrives. So he's my smokey, his 2.84sec sprint is something that will help his cause immensely, whether that be as a defensive forward or a bona fide midfielder. He is capable of kicking at full pace which is something I like & his form has been pretty good at state level, in a number of positions. I suspect people will have differing views on potential rookies, a tall forward like Caminiti could also be worthwhile. Quite a few alternatives but grabbing the quickest guy in the pool not such a bad move.

Not if Gibcus was still there I’d say. Otherwise we could trade it to WC for Pick 10 and something in 2022.
Yep still take Gibcus. He's not a consolation prize. But if Andrew goes to GWS and Gibcus to GCS we are very well placed.

If GIbcus gone as well, I think it's Johnson.

Reactions: 1 users
To be honest I snuck him into 50th spot because I like a smokey, I have guys like Woewodin, Warner & Molan ahead in reality but these guys won't be in the frame by the time the rookie draft arrives. So he's my smokey, his 2.84sec sprint is something that will help his cause immensely, whether that be as a defensive forward or a bona fide midfielder. He is capable of kicking at full pace which is something I like & his form has been pretty good at state level, in a number of positions. I suspect people will have differing views on potential rookies, a tall forward like Caminiti could also be worthwhile. Quite a few alternatives but grabbing the quickest guy in the pool not such a bad move.
Quick with good endurance is a plus.
Speed is a critical trait for mine.

I do see these types as likely busts but someone like Danyle Pearce is a positive example.
As you say at 50 there are still good options on the board, but I can see it as a speculation pick