2021 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 Draft Thread

With this last pick we can roll the dice on a tall, not sure which one and whether or not we should grab a junk pick and buy into next year's draft. I suppose if we intend on grabbing Schlensog then this might be the way to go.

What we do with our last pick is curious.
We traded up from 2 later picks, at those picks a Schlensog or Charlie Dean would likely still be available.
So we trade up to then pick the same player?
Surely we go with best available.

Fwiw I,m a Dean fan and hope he goes undrafted and he comes across to our vfl side

Last edited:
Do we only have 5 list spots? The DFA window opens next week so we may only have 4 if these rumours of Schlensog are true. I don't mind picking him up to be honest, he was in the WAFL team of the week on a regular basis, he could be a very astute selection.
Schlensong is a interesting proposition. In Sam Couzens we trust.

Another who has piqued my interest is 24 year old Noah Pegoraro. He's a key defender, who never played colts, was 22 when he started playing in the WAFL.

Reactions: 1 user

With your last pick, I'm thinking more of a key back, bazzo/dean/Alleer. You got the midfield covered or would you go another mid like MacDonald/Knevitt/Long/Roberts/Sheldrick to name a few.

Murly and Taylor can also play small forward so I guess no need to pick another like Ronald Fejo Jnr/ Jesse Motlop/Judson Clarke

Blake Howes

Height 190cm
Weight79kg
Current Team Sandringham Dragons
Birthday April 7, 2003

POSITION: Medium Forward/Wing

SNAPSHOT: “A highly athletic forward with the capacity to play through further afield, Howes catches the eye with his highlight reel moments in the forward half.”

As an AFL Academy member, Vic Metro representative and Sandringham Dragons product, Blake Howes was able to impact across every level of football he played in 2021, showing off his impressive athleticism when given the opportunity. The 190cm talent was mostly played as a half-forward for the year, but was gradually afforded more opportunities up on the wing as the season went on, suggesting there is a fair amount of development left for him in that area of the ground. Having enjoyed his venture up the field, Howes is a prospect who can count himself particularly unlucky as the Victorian season was cut short just as he found his best form.

STRENGTHS:
+ Vertical Leap
+ Overhead Marking
+ Clean Hands
+ Athleticism
+ Upside

IMPROVEMENTS:
– Consistency
– Contested Game

Coming into 2021 as one to watch after an All Australian Under 16s carnival and inclusion in the AFL Academy squad, Howes was impressive with his leap and marking in the forward half the ground. As the year went on, he was given more opportunities further up the ground, looking like a natural on the wing as a link-up player who could effectively hit the scoreboard from the midfield as well.

When playing on the wing, Howes positions well around the ground to be a viable marking option for his teammates, making him dangerous in transition as he could clunk the ball and quickly move it forward. Whilst Howes can take a contested mark without much trouble, he can continue to work on being more effective at ground level. He is competitive and usually shows a clean set of hands, but is moreso an aerial force at the moment.

Should he look to spend more time around the ball in future, developing that ground level game and getting more involved at the contest – rather than being the release option – will hold him in good stead to impact more consistently. As a prospect with x-factor, Howes can also fade in and out of games at times, especially when playing forward, but can even out the troughs to his peaks with time in a professional system.

Despite often feeding off the contested work of others, Howes works well when in traffic – able to keep his hands free in congestion and handball well, making the best decision more often than not. The biggest strength of Howes’ game is his vertical leap, as he is regularly able to get higher in the air than taller opponents which allows him to take his marks easier. At times, this sees him play as a forward target due to his aerial ability.

At the next level, he looms as a handy third tall option or developable outside type. Much of his versatile quality comes through his athleticism, with the springy leap helping his forward craft and a speed-endurance mix boding well for midfield minutes. He showcased his running capacity with a 6:08 2km time in October, and has all the athletic upside which recruiters look for.

DRAFT PROJECTION: Second Round

SUMMARY:

Howes will likely be a pick made on upside, with his array of developable traits and continued rate of development all very promising. His athleticism is high-level across the board, but he was also able to show his footballing nous with increasing success throughout the season. Versatility is another big tick for Howes, who can be moulded into a few different roles and has a high ceiling in terms of what he could become in an elite environment. He looks set to be taken somewhere within the second round and could push into top 25 contention.
Reminds me a little of a younger Vlastiun

Speaking of funny feelings, I get the feeling that if we want Blake Howes we'll have to take him at 17 or trade up. Don't think he'll last to 29.

I'm a fan of Rachele, his upside has me thinking of a Butters/Simpkin type role player, his kicking skills are sublime and he comes across as a big game player. His record extending back to under 16s has been as good as any & I'm confident he'll be one of those guys who rises to the challenge of AFL football.

Is it possible to get Johnson, Rachele, Goater & Taylor/Butler? I'd certainly be trying, three from this list will be a slam dunk for the RFC and will set us up for a decade. It won't be easy of course but I see possibilities at pick 19 & pick 9 & believe we can cut a deal with a bit of poker face. Grab pick 19 and tell the Saints we're hot for Owens, that may throw the cat amongst the pigeons.
Butters is the one i'm thinking of but unfortunately beginning to suspect he may be gone before our first pick. Reckon the kid will be a star.

If we chose to go with a mid first then I would rejig that to include Van Rooyen at 17, we could also push the key defender to the thirties or even later if Dean was a preferred option. I've pegged Bazzo a little higher based on his forward potential but as a defender he's roughly on par with Dean.
Would be very disappointed if we took JVR at 17. Reckon there will be better quality available at that pick.

• Dislike
Reactions: 5 users
If we have any chance of getting one of the top rated mids we need get in front of Hawthorn. Adelaide at pick 4 the most gettable.

I would look at pick 7 & future 2022 second round for pick 4. Maybe a third rounder back our way from Adelaide.

If we have any chance of getting one of the top rated mids we need get in front of Hawthorn. Adelaide at pick 4 the most gettable.

I would look at pick 7 & future 2022 second round for pick 4. Maybe a third rounder back our way from Adelaide.
I would not be doing that now and only on draft night if Callaghan is still available at that selection

Reactions: 3 users
Bully you know if we happen to get another top 10 pick it would be great but if we don't I'm not fazed, this draft is brimming with talent right into the 30's and I'm quietly confident we'll land some top talent for picks 26/27/28

On Murley, he has excellent acceleration and importantly can win his own ball. I like that he has different gears that he can go to.
For those wanting to see some highlights, here's a few vids, enjoy!

I Nick thee BOB Murley.

Get around him maaaaan (in rasta voice)

Reactions: 2 users

No need, Johnson will be there in all likelihood, he's up there with the best in my opinion. My only concern was the tank but his 2km run has put to bed any fears I had with his ability to run out games. If people are rating him lower then I'm genuinely bemused, elite agility, outstanding kicking, sub 3 second sprint time, BOG against South Australia, averaged 25 touches in WAFL reserve finals, 2:1 kick to handball ratio, more metres gained than Hobbs, more marks than Hobbs. No way we need to trade in my opinion, and that's no disrespect to Hobbs who will also make a fine footballer. Happy with either & happy we're in a sweet spot to pick up one.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
Speaking of funny feelings, I get the feeling that if we want Blake Howes we'll have to take him at 17 or trade up. Don't think he'll last to 29.
Has he got some Archie Perkin traits? Perkins impressed me so much this year.

Has he got some Archie Perkin traits? Perkins impressed me so much this year.
I think Erasmus, Owens and Draper are more akin to Perkins. I see Howes as something between Gunston and say Hoskin-Elliott - hopefully closer to Gunston.

Tip: Perkins will prove a problem over time. BIG ego.
He has huge JDG talent, let’s hope its not the same ego. I was super impressed by Perkins, didn’t think he would influence games as much as he did. We need that type in our forward half.

He has huge JDG talent, let’s hope its not the same ego. I was super impressed by Perkins, didn’t think he would influence games as much as he did. We need that type in our forward half.
He’s not the same as De Goofy. More of a pain in the arse type with his coaches and team mates. Always questioning “why are we doing this ?” and “why are we doing that ?” and then quick to give his opinion. Big ego. Source: father of AFL player who went through NAB league Vic Metro squads etc with him.

Not sure if this part is true or not, but rumour is he told a few interstate clubs not to draft him because he’d ask for a trade back to Vic after 2 years.

Bit of attitude apparently.

Reactions: 1 users
I think Erasmus, Owens and Draper are more akin to Perkins. I see Howes as something between Gunston and say Hoskin-Elliott - hopefully closer to Gunston.
Interesting. We lack the medium fwd weapon besides Dusty.

Draper is the one I think has gone a little under the radar.

I didn't see much to get excited about, was talked up early but the talk has faded after champs.

So many similar types down the order, I don't think he's a certainty to be the best in his class. Reckon we grab Butler if you think a hybrid type is preferable to a mid, although I'd still want to make a play for Taylor, think we need his kicking smarts.